900 lumen maglite

jaco

Observer
I know some guys have converted the LED mags as well, I haven't done it and couldn't guarantee results. I know the reflector and switch is different but I have heard it works, I'll see if I can research it and have a more solid answer.

I've also heard that runtime is about 20 minutes of full power and then about an hour of very usable light after that on 3D cells. 3D NiMh rechargeable is considerably better from what I've heard.

The heat output is not a lot, the LED generates heat and the large effort to pull it away from the LED is more to help efficiency. My test was to leave one on high for 5 minutes face down on a piece of sheet metal and the light barely gets warm, no noticeable heat from the light output. I'd guess the pitiful krypton bulb is roughly about the same heat output as this LED, but the heat from the LED is coming out the bottom of the LED into the heatsink and into the light.

I'll get a bunch of stuff on the way and then post up again, thanks for the response everyone, I don't think the light will disappoint.

Edit, these use the factory switch, just modified to fit the heatsink and have the wires going to the LED. You can replace a worn out switch online for very cheap. The driver switches modes when it senses a break in power. I do not know the reliability of the driver, I've been using mine for a bit here, but I hear that they generate heat and need to be heatsinked which is difficult to do in the 1.5" hidden space where they are stuffed... Output on high seems to be about 85% of a direct drive unit on 3D cells which is what the efficiency of the driver is. The driver is designed to have 7.4V input, not the 4.5 that the 3D's offer...

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
I'm in for a kit with the multi mode- I have a 30 year old Maglight I'd like to put it in- what dimensions do I need to measure to make sure it will fit?

pcampbell

Adventurer
Sign me up for a DIY kit as well.

I've drooled over the Borealis from Black Bear for a while. This would be a nice supplement :)

jaco

Observer
neat, but 20 minutes of run time??:oops:

20 minutes at 7-900 lumens, then as said earlier an hour or so of less than that :oops:

Also NiMh rechargeables have much lower internal resistance and greater output, these lights are supposed to run much longer and stronger off of those. I think the flexibility would be nice for a lot of people.

Last edited:

jaco

Observer
I'm in for a kit with the multi mode- I have a 30 year old Maglight I'd like to put it in- what dimensions do I need to measure to make sure it will fit?

The heat sink dimensions would be most critical, which is the internal ID bore of the top of the maglite; good point 30 years ago who knows what they were cranking out. PM me a dimension and I'll check for you.

jaco

Observer
A bit of research and the original krypton maglite 3 cell bulb draws about 3 watts. The Seoul P7 LED draws 10 watts, yes, battery life will be less. Actually the lumen output is quite interesting...

Stock maglite: 3 watts, 76.8 lumens = 25.6 lumens per watt

LED maglite: 3 watts, ~140 lumens = 46.6 lumens per watt

P7 maglite: 10 watts, 900 lumens = 90 lumens per watt

Lets say quite realistically the P7 on crappy alkaline batteries is putting out 700 lumens that's still 70 lumens per watt...

Either way the P7 is a very efficient LED that I'm surprised is not offered in more flashlights. You can get chinese ones for cheap, and they run off of LiIon rechargable batteries, but the cool factor is somehow lacking...

Here is Seoul's website with the P7 on it, I love how one of the applications listed is "torch" :)

http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLEDp7.asp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater