'91 hunter transfer case question

arktrekker

Adventurer
I am looking at a 91 hunter that has recently had the 4wd quit working. From what I have found from a little searching is that this is semi normal and it is a viscous coupler. What are my best options for repair? Is there another transfer case option that is a bolt up to the transmission and is more solid? Any ideas on the cost range of the repair to the current case?

In looking for parts, how does this rover classify as no one seems to list the hunter edition for basic parts like suspension and engine.

sydneyman

Observer
the lt230 from a disco 1 (and earlier classics) bolts right up. just finished the swap myself on my '93. its a manual locking case rather than automatic. for me thats a plus, but you have to decide whether thats a good thing or not for you. the viscous unit itself can be a grand and a rebuilt borg warner(what you have) can be 2 grand with r and r. i paid 500 for my used lt230 and everything needed to do the swap including shipping. I did the work myself though so thats a consideration. good luck! i love the hunter, post some pics!

arktrekker

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. Manual control is always a preference and I can do the swap myself. The price definitely leaves room in the budget to do it as well as a few other mods I have in mind

sydneyman

Observer
just reread your original post. Usually when the VC fails in the BorgWarner, it fails in the locked 4wd position. to not have 4wd at all to me says something more important is broken in the Transfer case or down the line. Or the 4wd has been disabled by the owner to prevent damage to the drivetrain since the transfer case is locked. Have you checked it out underneath for anything obvious? Usually the front driveshaft has to be removed so it can be driven safely. I had to do that for a few months until i got the swap together.

not too familiar with the hunter other than its spec'd down (which is a huge plus). cant help there.

aek50

Adventurer
Have the lt230 in my hunter and would recommend this option. Simplified like the hunter itself.

How do you know the 4wd isn't working?

Also hunter edition believe have the same cv joints as the defender while the regular range rovers in 91 all came with ABS and the hunter does not have ABS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk