'94 F-250 suspension question

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You guys are making this way too difficult.

You either stick with the TTB, but toss a bit of money at it to maintain it, then run it.

Or you swap to a solid D60

Looking into TTB suspension modifications is going to be VERY costly.

The D50 TTB is a very strong unit. Only drawbacks being the ride characteristics, and the limitation of suspension travel.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
You're losing me with the costly comment. A set of Rancho radius arms (easier to modify to bolt onto the TTB than the stock parts and longer to boot!), some coil springs, some stock coil buckets cut off of a junkyard truck, and a set of radius arm brackets cut off the same truck are going to be more costly than a rebuilt or good condition D60?

For me the radius arm approach would not only be less cash outlay, it will also ride better than a D60's massive unsprung weight.

RR1

Explorer
You guys are making this way too difficult.

You either stick with the TTB, but toss a bit of money at it to maintain it, then run it.

Or you swap to a solid D60

Looking into TTB suspension modifications is going to be VERY costly.

The D50 TTB is a very strong unit. Only drawbacks being the ride characteristics, and the limitation of suspension travel.

A leaf sprung 60 is gonna ride like a brick. I woud swap in a coil sprung unit out of a late model Super Duty, if I was going to do a 60.

I am merely giving examples of what is possible, yes those kits are expensive. To make a TTB truck ride better, all the parts can be found at a salvage yard for cheap.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Coil Sprung D60?

You are talking about a custom install again. Fab work. $$$$$$$$$$$

The leaf sprung D60 is a direct bolt in, requires next to nothing for maintenance, is cheap, and is readily available.

Not to mention it rides WAY better than the leaf sprung D50 he has right now.

RR1

Explorer
Coil Sprung D60?

The leaf sprung D60 is a direct bolt in, requires next to nothing for maintenance, is cheap, and is readily available.

Not if you do the work yourself. Hell of a lot easier than doing a diesel swap....

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Coil Sprung D60?

Define "Cheap".

Cheap to me is not $2k+ for a ready to use and not worry about D60. I'm seeing radius arms in the ~$700 range for new. Combined with JY parts for the springs and some fabrication it should come in at 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of a ready to use D60.

The TTB will ride WAY better than a live axle D60. Do not get me wrong, I don't dislike D60's. They have a place and their appropriate applications, but their unsprung mass is huge and that is a handicap toward ride quality that no custom spring, trick shock, or zippy fabrication can offset. I do think that they are suggested as the cure-all for far, far too many things that they won't actually cure and/or are not the best solution.

Shiryas

Adventurer
My intention with mentioning the possible coil spring swap TTB was that most of the parts are readily available out there used.

Custom fab work and cheap are two things that never go well together.

I do not see a D60 as a panacea for all situations, only that just like those TTB parts, they are readily available used and cheap. Plus they are "bolt in" or very close to it. (I do not know where the OP lives but here are a couple of local "to me" examples)

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1854452194.html $800 front only

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1846190892.html $800 both axles (D60 & 10.25") or $1300 including springs and steering.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1840730314.html $900 front only

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1833135506.html $1000 front only

Swapping anything always involves more than you expect in time and $$. But as long as you matched your current 10.25 diff ratio, I think a "shade tree" overhaul is a lot less than $1k for wheel bearings, rotors, pads and ball joints.

I have a 97 F350 Powerstroke CC 4x4 LB with the leaf sprung D60. While it does ride like the 1 ton school bus it is, it is not a buckboard by any means. The RSK and SD springs are in the garage, I am just saving for the Bilsteins, which will bring this OBS up to SD(99-03) ride comfort.

If I had a F250 and was looking to improve on the TTB, I think this is the way to go about it. The parts are reasonable, someone else has already figured it all out (Ford) with the help of some simple bolt on stuff (Sky Off Road) and it is in the skill level of most owners.

fjatheart

- Like we have already mentioned. The D50 leaf sprung TTB is a strong axle, its just designed poorly.
- Deaver and Alcan both make excellent springs but they will not over come this design flaw.
- Quality shocks may help, but the problem is travel, which you guessed it, is limited by the poor design.

Best of luck and keep us posted, Chris

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Define "Cheap".

Cheap to me is not $2k+ for a ready to use and not worry about D60. I'm seeing radius arms in the ~$700 range for new. Combined with JY parts for the springs and some fabrication it should come in at 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of a ready to use D60.

The TTB will ride WAY better than a live axle D60. Do not get me wrong, I don't dislike D60's. They have a place and their appropriate applications, but their unsprung mass is huge and that is a handicap toward ride quality that no custom spring, trick shock, or zippy fabrication can offset. I do think that they are suggested as the cure-all for far, far too many things that they won't actually cure and/or are not the best solution.

Well, thats it I suppose.

Seeing that there are SO many 3/4 ton trucks running modified coil sprung TTB D50 up front, I guess thats the answer. :bowdown:

Carry on.

RR1

Explorer
Found pictures of a coil conversion on Pirate.

Just put coil overs and air bumps in the front to make the TTB pull 12" travel. Plan on doing long travel air bags for the rear in the future and making 35" tires fit with out any lift. It rides sooo much better now.

P1020711.jpg

P1020778.jpg

P1020777.jpg

P1020780.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
That is cool, and very probably what I would do for myself, but far beyond what I was suggesting for the OP. Desert racers have a lot of history and knowledge in working with the TTB design. While not suggesting that it be taken any where near their extremes I do suggest that this knowledge be tapped into and applied as appropriate.

mrcassidy95

i have been wrestling with the same suspention issue.
Has any one tried using leaf spring rockers on a ttb ford ? such as the ones sold by bcbroncos.com

i too want to improve my front suspention but dont want to swap to a d60
for 1 i have never broken the d44hd under the front of my 86 f250
.....it helps that i only run 285/70/17s

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Never heard of a leaf spring rocker til now.

After looking at them, they certainly look like they would help things. As it is, the leak must twist to allow articulation. The rockers would help that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater