95 4runner auto hub replacement

mrstang01

Adventurer
My 95 has the auto hubs, I hate those things. Went to go to the office yesterday and it felt like the driveline was bound up. Who has the best replacement kit to go to manuals?

Any other suggestions on what it could be? It's the 3.slow with auto tranny. Fluids all appear ok.

Thanks,

Michael

Cackalak Han

Explorer
ORS (Off Road Solutions) has the kit. Expensive, though. Why do you hate it so much? Would you hate it more than pulling over on the side of a freeway and getting out of your truck in the middle of a storm to lock the hubs? (Scary!) I've had no problems with all of the ADD Toyota's I've owned.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The ORS kit is for converting trucks with those sealed hubs, like Tacomas and newer 4Runners. That is expensive.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/manual_hub_conversion.htm

On a 1995 (2nd gen) all you have to do is unbolt the drive plates and bolt on replacement hubs. You still have ADD, lock the hubs and you will be just like now. Unlock them for mileage and wear and tear. Some people don't like the ADD so much that they replace the whole driver's side of the axle with one from a manual hub truck, which won't have the locking collar and actuator. But that's probably not necessary unless the mechanism is actually broken. But the sliding collar is slightly weaker than a manual set-up. Can't say it's really that much of a difference, but having the piece of mind that it's one less thing to fail could be important.

A set of Warn or Aisin hubs from an IFS truck from 1986-1995 and you're good to go. Should be about $100 tops and spare IFS Aisin hubs are easy to find. Don't have to take off the wheel, even.

If you had an earlier auto hub 2nd gen truck or first gen 4Runner, then it's much more complicated. Those are the ones you have to back up to unlock.

Anyway, here you go:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

mrstang01

Adventurer
I hate them, because I've seen too many people be stranded by them, including me on the one set I had and kept. I'll never have another set if I can help it.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater