96 Disco engine rebuild kit??????

w_baker76

I have a chance to buy a 96 Discovery with a bad motor. Before I buy it I want to find a rebuild kit for the engine. Can anyone tell me a good place to get a full kit? I have had no luck finding one.

fishEH

Explorer
What do you mean by "bad motor"? No repair kit for a cracked block or slipped liner. Vendors on Dweb often have head gasket kits for around $175.

jhawk

Adventurer
When I looked into rebuilding the motor that let loose in my old 94 it was cheaper to find another Discovery and move over my lift bumpers, etc. to it. Unless you know exactly what's wrong with the motor I'd think twice about picking it up.

w_baker76

It has a knock in the engine. I have bought kits for other cars in the past but have found none for land rovers. I really did not want to buy it one item at a time. But I guess I would if need be

Last edited:

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
strip it, and order what it needs it can be there in a few days from this side of the water, I get parts next day by post.

roadsiderob

The problem with building a GEMS motor is that oversized pistons are not available. I have had a number of high mileage Rover engines rebuilt. Most likely you will find minimal wear on the cylinders and just rering the engine and turn the crank & recondition the rods. Aluminumv8.com is a good source for parts as is RN & AB. Oversized rod & main bearings are a stockng item. Piston rings & lifters are available aftermarket. Gaskets & seals are easy to get. The camshaft & timing set will be specific for the GEMS motor. D&D Fabrication have a high performance cam for this motor as well. If there is a damaged bore, liners can be replaced. Flanged liners (tophat) are available as well and may allow salvaging blocks that have cracked behind the liners. I say "may" as I am in the process of doing one and will see if it works after I get the car running again. :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven