96 Tahoe build

wrench-head

Observer
A company called TYC makes decent stuff if they do an OEM line for these trucks. The others will most likely function the same as OEM but may degrade (yellow) faster and most likely have fitment issues. I have installed some, not sure of the brand and we had to slot all the holes on the black plastic mount plate to let them through the grille. They were about a 1/4" off of where they should be. So you'll probably get the light output, but the quality will leave some to be desired. Honestly the headlight polish kits can do a good job on yellowed OEM lenses if you get some from a local yard.

-Alex

i have a 97, go stock, its the happiest you can be, and they dont look bad at all, but be sure to get the stock corners and blinker lights also, i hate when people dont have matching cases

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Dominic, here's some encouraging info for you while you search for those stock headlights: I picked up a 3M lens restoration kit and just restored my old yellowed headlights back to crystal clear. Installed a full set of Silverstar Ultras...Wow! :Wow1: I feel like I'm driving a lighthouse down the highway. I don't have to strain my eyes anymore, trying to pick out details on the road. I think this was the best improvement for the money spent, that I've done to my truck yet.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
^saveitforsunrise v
you should start a thread asking this question, you will get more info faster and in a place where people like yourself will be able to search it out in the future. :coffee: But no worries and hope you get it fixed.

So Napa has the "stock replacements" I am sure they are not oem but close; in fact I think they are TYC for 135, I think I am going got grab those with some silver stars and call it a day, I hope the folks that instaled these HID's did not hack the wire This weekend I spread the bottom with at rubberized black bed liner stuff came out really good and no more diamond plate sticker along bottom. Pics soon to come.:elkgrin:

I just have to ask this question, at what point in time did you find that the back windows only roll down 1/4 way? I personally didnt find out till a week after buying mine.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
painted all the trim in black rattle can bed liner. Truck is running VERY well, will be building it for this snowboarding this season. So I will be camping/sleeping in this truck while staying in resort towns like big bear, park city ect... Suggestions on how to keep this thing warm at night, beyond a good sleeping bag. going to pick up board clamps for the rack so that will free up some room. Here are a few pics.

022-1.jpg

023.jpg

021-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

Balzer

Adventurer
the cheapest solution to your headlight woes is to look on ebay for after market clear/chrome housings that ARE NOT projectors. I got a full set of light housings (headlights and markers) for less than $40 shipped. at first they looked "ricer" to me but then I realised most the new vehicles come stock with that look. I did my 99 yukon this way with quality bulbs and took about 2 hours to install and aim them. Next youll want to do the "4 high headlight mod" so your low beams stay on with your high beams. Its a simple mod and can be done yourself or there are still a few kits made to do it. This mod can be found on various GM forums.

I have to disagree with the sugestions to go back to stock. The stock housings are never truely "CLEAR" they have stupid lenses that disipate light in all the wrong directions. Get some cheap aftermarket housings with totally clear lenses and some high quality bulbs (I cant remember what brand I used but I didnt like the blue of the silverstars so I went with an ultra white type bulb)

These are the exact lights I got but I found them cheaper http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...el:K1500+Suburban&item=230659697798&viewitem=

link to 4 hi mod http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/quadbeamn_headlight_mod.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven