'97 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins Powered

ExpoMike

Thanks. U-joints look fine from the outside. Tight and no slop or clicking sounds. Only have 150,000 miles on the rig.

As for a steering stablizer, I bought a Bilstein one from a guy who had upgraded his later model Ram (I think '06) to the '08+ style steering. I think I can make it work. My plan is to use the frame bracket and build a clamp mount for the bar coming from the steering box. Kind of close to the stock setup.

In reality, I have done a couple trips, including crossing Saline Valley from north to south and never once felt I needed the stablizer. No idea if adding it will really make any noticable difference.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i heeded your advice and went with new SKF bearings and didnt do the ford swap.

one perk of taking the old discs off, is you can use the old disc as a fixture to hold/press against while putting the studs back in. i didnt buy new studs, i cheaped out.

how are the SS lines? stiffer pedal?

i have got 18.5 MPG with my Scamper on, driving from Ojai to SanDiego at a steady 65mph

i think you are right about the stabilizer, i put a brand new Rancho on before i headed to Baja and couldnt feel a difference.

ExpoMike

Yeah, I figured if I bought new studs, I could assemble the hubs/rotors and if I ran into problems, I didn't have the truck down. Also figured 150K miles on those stud, couldn't hurt to replace them.

I actually didn't get the SS lines swapped in. On the driver side fitting, the hard lines T into the soft line. When I did this I was 2 weeks away from MRV13 and didn't want to risk breaking any of the lines, so I put it on the back burner. I'll likely do them when I replace the rear wheel cylinders with the Chevy 1ton ones I have. At that point I am going to remove the rear height sensing prop. valve, as I never run without the camper on.

I have reached 19MPG before, with the camper on but my typical cruising speed is about 72MPH so that knocks it down a couple MPG. LOL

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had the EGR SS lines in my '98.5. Stiffened the pedal up but no enhanced braking perceived.
I always got 13.8 city/maybe 15.5 highway in Baja with my popup. Same as the '07.
Mach 1.6 injectors and an EZ. Lightnin' quick but it takes a toll on mpgl I guess.
That truck got 19.5 @ 75 mph San Diego to Phx unladen.
I replaced the stock w/a Rancho and agree. Couldn't feel the difference.

dieseldays

hey guys my 6.7 recently started having the "death wobble" and one of my friends told me that one of these might help Dodge Steering Stabilizer i was wondering if any of you might have another opinion. They don't seem to be to expensive but i would still like to not spend the money if it isn't going to work. Thank you all in advance

Tommy R

Geaux Tigers!
I think you'll get a better response posting this question to a different forum here instead of someone's build thread, but hopefully the OP won't mind me contributing. :) I've got a LOT of experience dealing with DW and while the steering brace you posted is a wise investment (I have one on my '01), it's quite possible that the cause could be something else. Fortunately, in my Dodge I only had DW once....but I was doing 85 mph at the time and I barely kept it on the road! In my instance, the main culprit was a poor alignment (too much caster, believe if or not!). For good measure I also installed a new steering stabilizer. Granted, a steering stabilizer (damper) is really a band aid and shouldn't be needed on a vehicle with good parts and good alignment, but after my experience, just try convincing me not to run one! :Wow1:

But other major things to check are ball joints, control arms/bushings, track bar/bushings, wheel/unit bearings, etc. Any play in these components can cause it. Other factors I've seen/experienced with DW are worn shocks, too high/low air pressure, and tires out of balance/out of round. Hope this helps and good luck! DW is *not* a fun thing to resolve and once you have it, it's hard to ever truly have the confidence that it won't happen again, especially when hitting a bump at speed. Every time I'm driving at 80+ in my truck now I'm paying just a bit more attention, despite the fact that the truck has been great for a year and a half since my only DW episode. I've also had it a lot in my Jeep, which also contributes to why I'm so gun shy of DW.

ExpoMike

hey guys my 6.7 recently started having the "death wobble" and one of my friends told me that one of these might help Dodge Steering Stabilizer i was wondering if any of you might have another opinion. They don't seem to be to expensive but i would still like to not spend the money if it isn't going to work. Thank you all in advance

What you linked to is a steering box brace and is not a bad item to have. I put one on my truck and it helped with mid corner steering corrections. It now stays on the path I pick. It is not going to cure a true DW that is caused by worn out parts, bad alignment, tires, shocks, steering parts, etc. DW can be a combination of all of these or just one item. Dodge and Jeeps are notorious for this but I have been lucky on both my Cherokee and Dodge, as I have not had this problem. I have made sure I have gone through all the parts, checked for play and replaced worn out parts. Currently I am NOT running a steering stabilizer (the shock looking item on the steering linkage) and have found zero need for it. It drives exactly the same as when I had it on. With my new steering linkage ('99 HD setup) it does not have the mount for the stock '97 stabilizer. I have been up to 85mph, over dirt road/washboard at 50mph and lots of miles. I have not missed it one bit. I have one to install once I figure out the mount but I haven't been in a rush.

If you are starting to have the DW issue and not from early on, you likely have parts wearing out that need replacing. Good luck.

Tommy R

Geaux Tigers!
Mike, I could offer some pics of how I mounted my stabilizer to my updated steering if you're interested. Just let me know. I went with the 2010+ model, but I think it's functionally nearly identical.

ExpoMike

Mike, I could offer some pics of how I mounted my stabilizer to my updated steering if you're interested. Just let me know. I went with the 2010+ model, but I think it's functionally nearly identical.

That would be great Tommy. I have had a few ideas but haven't actually sat down to plan anything out.

jackattack

Observer
And onto my next project, OBA system. After a bunch of research, the PUMA compressor seemed to be a good value. I had an idea where I wanted to put it but found that one, it wouldn't fit and two, it would be exposed to possible water damage due to fording any streams/rivers. Well, this didn't leave me a lot of options so I decided I need to seperate the compressor and tank. I found I can fit the compressor in the front corner of the bed where it will be very protected but still have airflow. Still trying to figure out a good spot for the tank. It will likely go under the bed as there is not much room anywhere else.

Here's pics of the compressor/tank. Nothing is mounted yet. That should be next weekend.

I know it's been a year since you've updated your thread, so this might be a shot in the dark...

Were you ever able to install the Puma compressor? I've seen some of these broken into components and installed on smaller vehicles, but I'm interested to see how it's been done on a full-size.

ExpoMike

I know it's been a year since you've updated your thread, so this might be a shot in the dark...

Were you ever able to install the Puma compressor? I've seen some of these broken into components and installed on smaller vehicles, but I'm interested to see how it's been done on a full-size.

Well... it still sits in my garage. I never completed this project. Since space has been tight, one of my ideas was to split this unit and mount the compressor in the front pass. corner of the bed, which is dead space with the camper on. I have some larger tanks I picked up from another member that I am thinking I will mount back where the factory spare tire was located. Then I was going to put my quick connect ports up on the top front corners of the bed, so I can plug in a hose from either side of the truck. Just haven't done it yet.

Foxpedition

Any updates on the truck or camper? I just picked up the same year and model FWC off a buddy of mine but it sits on a white '98 Ram 1500. Looks almost identical to your setup, minus a 1/4 ton and a diesel...

ExpoMike

New Steps Built

New Steps

So recently I have been working on a new project that I have been thinking about for a long time. I wanted to have a set of steps that were attached to the truck and not rely on a small step stool on the ground. I just never got the details worked out until I saw a similar idea for a trailer hitch. That put my thoughts in motion and I came up with this step system. Not quite done yet but have enough to post up some build pics.

I started with some receiver tubing (2" and 2.5")
PICT6526.jpg

After some trial fitting, I figured out the angle I needed
PICT6527.jpg

Starting the mockup of steps
PICT6528.jpg

PICT6529.jpg

After some shaping of the steps, for looks and to keep from banging your leg into a corner
PICT6531.jpg

Topping the sliding post, so it cannot fall out. I will have a hitch pin to hold it in location (up or down)
PICT6532.jpg

PICT6533.jpg

Finally got the steps painted and completed. Very happy with how it turned out.

PICT6537.jpg

PICT6538.jpg

PICT6539.jpg

PICT6540.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup