A ‘convert’ FE is not a FG

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Posted in regards to a Fuso FG 'for sale ad'
It's a nice truck to be sure, but I just struggle with the price. You can buy a nice FE, convert to 4x4 with a Dana 60 and NP 205, and do Humvee wheels for considerably less. Again I take nothing away from this truck which I really like - just for me a struggle to get to the asking price.

Since this started in a ‘Sales Tread' I thought it best to start a new thread over here in the Fuso section, were it is more appropriate (and not a 'rule 6' violation).

I'll have to disagree, a ‘convert' FE is not a FG.
I have some experience in this, as I never thought I would find a FG in my price range and so I bought an Iveco 18-14 to convert to 4x4. I even have a divorced NP205 transfer case still sitting in my garage.
I found a great (well super outstanding steal) deal on a 2002 Fuso FG via a posting link here on the Expo Portal and bought my FG within 5 minutes of seeing the link. So I have experience in both ‘conversions' and the real deal (a FG)

First the FG has a 7-inch step-up in it's frame at the front, while the FE is a straight frame. This is to allow clearance for the front axle and the oil pan of the engine. Of course you could get the clearance on a straight frame FE with a suspension lift, but it is not the same as a factory frame/suspension set-up, and of course adds to the cost of the build.
There is nothing the matter with a Dana 60 and NP205, but you might as well plan on changing the rear axle also for a few reasons (again adding to the cost of the conversion).
Finding a stock Dana 60 front with a ratio of 4.875 (5.714 pre '05) to match the Fuso's rear axle will be tough. Of course you can probably find a gear-set for the Dana with whatever ratio you need because of their popularity, but at an added cost for that and install. Plus if you want to run Hummer wheels, you will have mismatch bolt patterns front to rear. AND there is no way to get Hummer wheels to track in-line front to rear with the Fuso rear axle and Dana front. So you might as well bite the bullet and get a (fill in your favor rear axle) in a non-dually configuration for the rear (d'oh more costs). Now your Hummer wheels will track in-line, your bolt pattern will be the same and your axle ratios will be the same. But wait, if you went will ‘normal' stock axle ratio ratios, those 36"-37” tires will now kill your drivetrain numbers . So you either bit the bullet and change your front and rear axle ratios to use Hummer rims (dang, more $$), or go with stock rim/tire/ sizes (I'm betting about a 30” tires without the 4.875/5.714 diff gears). BTW the days of $100 military take-off tires seem to be over, and 16.5” tires for those Hummer rims are getting to be much less of a selection then 16" tires for those custom 16” Fuso SRW rims.

So all said and done, you have regular truck axles front and rear, an NP205 transfer (divorced I'm guessing, so 1 more driveshaft and perhaps space issues) connect to the Fuso engine and trans, mount to a frame that needs a new suspension set-up to work right. In that case, I'd just go with a (fill in your favor brand) non-cabover truck, and keep it simple and a non-hodgepodge.

There is something to be said for a factory built unit, that high dollar engineers designed and a company has to stand behind that everything works together as advertised for work, play AND safety.

A side note on Fuso FGs. After 2007 they got the smog equipment that precludes Hi Sulfur Diesel and after 2012 they lost the ‘wideband' engine and 2 speed transfer case. So pre '07 are very desirable. In ‘the old days' a business would sell their 2000 Fuso and buy a 2004, so a guy like me had a source for a used Fuso. Then they sold that 2004 and bought a 2007, so one more used Fuso in the market. Now they don't want to sell their 2007, because the 2013 will not fit their needs, so the secondary market for Fusos is drying up. Hence supply and demand changing the price structure.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I appreciate the insights, particularly on the newer-FGs. I understand the issues/concerns with drivetrain modifications and that they aren't for everyone. My circumstances might be a little different from some in that I have a shop where we do a lot of engine / drivetrain / suspension work on off-highway vehicles so may be a little less intimidated than some at the prospect. (And since I own Land Rovers everything else is easy, right? :) )

I just see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...0976?pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item460dc90e80 selling for $11.5K and feel I could spend less than another $10k and have a nice SRW 4x4 Fuso crew cab.

Clearly a pure, factory FG would be worth more than a FE convert - the question is how much.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I appreciate the insights, particularly on the newer-FGs. I understand the issues/concerns with drivetrain modifications and that they aren't for everyone. My circumstances might be a little different from some in that I have a shop where we do a lot of engine / drivetrain / suspension work on off-highway vehicles so may be a little less intimidated than some at the prospect. (And since I own Land Rovers everything else is easy, right? :) )

I just see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...0976?pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item460dc90e80 selling for $11.5K and feel I could spend less than another $10k and have a nice SRW 4x4 Fuso crew cab.

Clearly a pure, factory FG would be worth more than a FE convert - the question is how much.

I think that 'converting' makes a bunch more sense for something not available (in the US) like a crewcab FG, then a stock truck. I'm not against converting for improvement, my FG is getting parabolic springs and front/rear swaybars from an Iveco 18-14, which will give it a better ride, better handling and more suspension clearance. In the original thread comparing cost/value, you would have to factor in the labor for a converted truck, compared to a factory truck. If a non shop owner had to have the work done, it would be parts+(labor x hourly rate). Even though you can do it yourself in house, since it is a business you and your crew's labor have a measurable value. Unlike a 'hobbyist' like myself, since my labor is a hobby and not a money maker. (it is only a money spender, but since I don't have Landies it is not too bad :sombrero: )

westyss

Explorer

Can you do that for under $10,000? My SRW rims and tires ended up over $5000 by themselves, that leaves $5000 for the rest, suspension, frame, transfer case etc...............unless you get parts almost free realistically not do-able in my opinion, even if you own the shop, unless people work for free its still going to cost. And everyone knows that a converted vehicle never retains close to the value of an un-converted vehicle. But sure would be fun to read about it all! Go for it!

olsurfer

Observer
my FG is getting parabolic springs and front/rear swaybars from an Iveco 18-14, which will give it a better ride, better handling and more suspension clearance. )

Could you clarify exactly which sway bars you will be using? Maybe a part number?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Could you clarify exactly which sway bars you will be using? Maybe a part number?
No visible part numbers.
They are off a 1986 Iveco 18-14.
I can takes some photos and measurement. They are almost a 'bolt-in' deal using the Iveco mounts.
There seems to be plenty of 'dead' Iveco trucks around (Ford brought them in from 1984 to 1992 I think).

pugslyyy

Can you do that for under $10,000? My SRW rims and tires ended up over $5000 by themselves, that leaves $5000 for the rest, suspension, frame, transfer case etc...............unless you get parts almost free realistically not do-able in my opinion, even if you own the shop, unless people work for free its still going to cost. And everyone knows that a converted vehicle never retains close to the value of an un-converted vehicle. But sure would be fun to read about it all! Go for it!

back-of-the-envelope figuring about $6k for everything except the SRW. But having a shop means buying the big stuff but a lot of the little bits and pieces can be found by rummaging... also having good relationships with the subs already and calling in the occassional favor for a personal rig v. a customer rig.

I'm actually trying to nail down a nice FE145 crew cab now, as a potential direction. If I can make the right deal on an FG I'll go that route - just a matter of what comes together when. Will be a fun build whatever direction it takes.

olsurfer

Observer
No visible part numbers.
They are off a 1986 Iveco 18-14.
I can takes some photos and measurement. They are almost a 'bolt-in' deal using the Iveco mounts.
There seems to be plenty of 'dead' Iveco trucks around (Ford brought them in from 1984 to 1992 I think).

Pics & measurements would be great. I'm sure sway bars will make an improvement
Thanks

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
But having a shop means buying the big stuff but a lot of the little bits and pieces can be found by rummaging... also having good relationships with the subs already and calling in the occassional favor for a personal rig v. a customer rig.

With your background and experience, I'd like your insight.
Instead of swapping/conversion the drivetrain to get a cabover 4x4 truck, what about going the route of swapping a cabover cab onto an existing frame/drivetrain. Would this be a practical and less costly route?
It seems that 'used' cabover cabs would be a dime-a-dozen with a large selection of sizes/styles, and then the builder would have his/her chose of whatever drivetrain, GVW, engine/trans that suits their fancy.
I'd guessing the issues would be engine fit, steering linkage and frame mounting ? What do you think?

In case it's been missed, there is a 2005 FG140 box truck for sale near Harrisburg PA. I drove it a few months ago. 61K real miles, a bit of east-coast corrosion but they will take about $20K for it. It's at a Fuso dealer, if I remember correctly near Red Lion.

pugslyyy

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wonder why the truck in Milwaukee had a clutch replaced so soon? Makes me think snow plowing.

I like the Long Island one but I have a penchant for service bodies. No mileage listed. Compressor and crane could be sold off to make some money. Is that an extra wide service body? Seems to be a lot of space between the outside of the body and the rear tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77