A different kind of question about reliability

stonnie

Land Rovers obviously have the performance and heritage that everyone is looking for in an expedition vehicle. The big knock on US models is the reliability. What if one were to buy, say, a well maintained Discovery II for $7-10,000 with the intention of heading off all the well known problems like the head gaskets, leaky sunroofs, window door motors, three amigos, etc... ? How much would that add to the initial purchase price and would you guys consider the vehicle now "reliable"? If you would consider it to be reliable, wouldn't it follow that a Disco II would be considered a leading value in used expedition vehicles?

ScottReb

Adventurer
I've recently contemplated exactly this. The biggest variable is if you want to deal with liners in the cylinders. That adds at least $1500 to it. Really the rest of its known regular issues ie cooling primarily. HG, new radiator, water pump, do the crank bearings, new camshaft lifters and all misc associated with this. My estimates for parts was about $2500. Me doing the labor. This basically gives you completely freshen engine bay. But if your block is bad you could still overheat. So let's say you do the block and all the rest. Less thank 5K to have a completely rebuilt D2. Plenty of CA trucks out here for 3-5 K. No reason it wont run 100K miles without needing much. Or just find one baseline it and fix as it goes. D web and other LR sites have tons and tons of info.

I have owned a D 2 and RRC. Both ran great no problems. LRs still have their issues. If you really want one get it. Just know that they do tend to have a few more issues than some other brands. Get it and enjoy it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

stonnie

I bought this Bronco with full intentions of spending much more than the purchase price to get it squared away. Now, I am thinking about a Discovery II and I am just intrigued by the number of complaints I find on the forums. It seems like all the problems with Discos are well known and easy enough to head off; maybe a bit pricey but predictable nonetheless. From my research, it seems like having a great Disco II, all freshened up and ready to go, is very doable for under $13,000. That's seem like a good value to performance ratio from my perspective.
cWULAE

Last edited:

Daryl

Adventurer
It seems like all the problems with Discos are well known and easy enough to head off; maybe a bit pricey but predictable nonetheless.

More than a bit. I don't see the sense in tearing a motor down to put in top hat liners and prophylacticly changing things like shuttle valves, etc if you really need something as reliable as possible when other options are available for less money and time......including other Land Rovers.

I messed up posting the Bronco pic, so I'll try again.View attachment 117346

Unf.

I love those things. Not as much as Discos, but still.

stonnie

Well, lets say that you find a Disco II with the HSE package with a perfect body and interior, which seems like an easy enough proposition. Worst case scenario, you end up with ten thousand in the purchase price. If you put $5,000 in prophylactic maintenance, would that not give you enough reliability to offset the normal causes for concern among Disco owners? To me, $15,000.00 doesn't seem like a bad investment to have the use of such a neat and capable vehicle. Lots of folks around here spend that much on atvs.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Remember that Land Rover unreliability is 80% myth and 20% fact.

There are several nice DIIs for sale in the LR community right now for under $8k. If you were intent on spending $15k, you could use the remainder to have a dealership install a brand new 4.6.

Loco71

Observer
Land Rovers obviously have the performance and heritage that everyone is looking for in an expedition vehicle. The big knock on US models is the reliability. What if one were to buy, say, a well maintained Discovery II for $7-10,000 with the intention of heading off all the well known problems like the head gaskets, leaky sunroofs, window door motors, three amigos, etc... ? How much would that add to the initial purchase price and would you guys consider the vehicle now "reliable"? If you would consider it to be reliable, wouldn't it follow that a Disco II would be considered a leading value in used expedition vehicles?

I have done exactly this. I purchased a 2001 Disco SE with 62,000 miles on it for 8900.00. It had a lightly leaking HG, nothing serious and no overheating.

I did a 60k mi service - replaced plug wires, a MAF that was throwing a code. I did his as I could not find records indicating the previous owner did it.

Replaced the HG before anything serious cropped up...

I did a coil over conversion and replace the shocks with OME's. No lift yet as I didn't want to sacrifice my fuel mileage...it's dismal at about 11mpg mostly city driving.

All of this has cost me about 4k. As I don't have the tools to do it myself. I had an independent LR shop do all of the work.

No problems for over 5k mi now! Contemplating selling the truck now as my life is changing and may need a Sprinter...

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jason

Last edited:

stonnie

Jason, that is exactly what I was talking about. I have taken this approach with trucks, 4 wheelers, motorcycles and even a lawn mower. This strategy has always served me well in every area except one; resale. It only really seems like a viable approach if you intend to keep the vehicle and enjoy using it for a decent amount of time. When selling, people never seem to care about what I've done as much I would like for them to care.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
If you're going to spend $15k on a d2, you're going to have a pretty nice truck. Watch LR websites, dweb, etc to find an enthusiast vehicle that's been well maintained.

Daryl

Adventurer
If you put $5,000 in prophylactic maintenance, would that not give you enough reliability to offset the normal causes for concern among Disco owners?
For some things. While top hat liners and head studs rather than bolts will do well for the motor, all the new replacement cooling parts int he world aren't going to fix the flaws of the undersized cooling system in these trucks or the goofy thermostat. So now you're putting in non stock parts and redesigning cooling systems. Does that make it more reliable? Maybe yes, maybe no. That really depends on what you do. And if you need custom and/or not so common parts it's going to make maintenance a problem. The failing shuttle valves and cranks position sensors are no different in this regard. They are best stocked as spares along with a fuel pump and other similar items.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of value in doing a good refresh if you plan on having the truck for a while. But some of the typical issues just don't have good solutions.....you're just buying time by installing new parts. In my mind I'd rather wait to buy the new parts or keep them as spares if it's something that won't prevent me from getting home or can be changed on the road/trail.

stonnie

So the reliability concerns are really a matter of poor design? I was under the impression that the design was solid, just the execution was sub standard. I guess that really blows a hole in my theory. I have somewhere around $15,000 in my bronco now and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Alaska tomorrow. Well, if it wasn't so slow...

ScottReb

Adventurer
If you really want to do the work yourself and are budgeting it just find a D2 for 3-5K. They are all over the N CA CL. Youre not that far. And Im sure there are plenty in OR and WA as well. Find one that has a leaky HG and redo everything.

As far as the cooling system goes all of those issues have know fixes. Read up on them. Same with the liners.

And I totally agree with with the 80/20 statement. Myth vs Fact. Internet and forums are great for a lot of things. Both fact and myth.

Buy one and enjoy it!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Unless you need the extra 10" aft of the rear axle for storage, and to hang up with when off road, go pre '96 D-I. Shag the 3.9, add 4.3 GM with adapter and be money ahead, cheaper, and way more reliable. Remember the Rover motor is 1963 Buick block with DECADES of size increases. This is part of the issue- look at the web space left between cylinders. With a proper motor, the rest of the truck is fine and extremely capable and comfortable for wheeling/traveling/DD/etc. To spend the kind of money you are talking, you can go this route and be bomb proof for the next 200k miles. Just my 2c, and have done it a couple times in Defenders and getting ready to once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77