A great story from our local newspaper

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
I came across this story from the Orange County Register here in So Cal. and thought this would be something really interesting and special to share. I've contacted the person who wrote the article, and he gave me permission to post it here. Enjoy!

Part 1 of 2...

Craig Yee has this thing about getting stuck.

He's not for it.

Yee, 55, has spent nearly $100,000 over the past four years to build the ultimate off-road vehicle, combining a 1953 Jeep Willys Wagon with a 2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler. It's a semi-holy union of styles, eras and technologies that, for a Jeep aficionado like Yee, has a singular goal.

"I want to be able to go anywhere and not get stuck," says Yee, sitting in his Laguna Niguel garage, where he is surrounded by a neatly stacked pile of Jeep dashboards and other components.

Yee knows stuck. He's been working to rehabilitate his legs since 2002, when he was rear-ended while driving north, from San Diego on the I-15 in his Jeep Wrangler. After careening off the freeway, Yee eventually ended up at St. Jude's Hospital in Fullerton with a broken neck.

And a long road ahead.

Yee credits the staff at St. Jude's for helping him regain some function in his legs. He says his ability to use a wheelchair and walker is a credit to their dedication, his determination and a higher power.

"I don't blame anybody," Yee says of his injury. "This is what happened."

Over the years, Yee, a one-time machinist, has had several Jeeps, using them mainly to explore the outdoors.

"I like to go places," he says. "I don't have to conquer things."

Since his injury, the Willys restoration project has become a central part of Yee's therapy. It keeps him busy and focused.

"Whenever I felt down, I thought about the Willys."

"The car is my therapy. They go hand in hand.

"I have to get myself so I can go anywhere."

•••

That go-anywhere ethic is key to understanding America's fascination with Jeeps.

While many reviewers view them as poorly manufactured (Consumer Reports, for one, hasn't offered many glowing words about the comfort, safety or fuel mileage of Jeeps in recent years), it's among Chrysler's best sellers, maybe because of its timeless design and the fact that it's the cheapest convertible you can buy. In fact, when rumors circulated that the company might sell the brand last month, the company quickly quashed them.

The Jeep has a storied history, created for the military in WWII out of a desperate need for a light reconnaissance vehicle that could go anywhere and credited by generals as Americas' greatest contribution to modern warfare.

"Faithful as a dog, strong as a mule and as agile as a goat," is how WWII-reporter Ernie Pyle described the admiration soldiers had for Jeeps.

When those soldiers got home, the Willys Overland Company – who created the Jeep for the Army – had a solid market with farmers and later, off-roaders.

There are tons of stories about how the Jeep got its name. Some say soldiers pronounced the stamped letters GP, for general purpose, as Jeep. Others say the GIs nicknamed the Jeep after a Popeye cartoon character. No one is sure.

What is assured is that the Jeep's flexibility, reliability and ease of service catapulted it into an early leader of today's multi-billion dollar SUV and aftermarket industry.

"You're never done building it," said Yee, noting that California's deserts and mountains are a natural Jeep playground.

Tires, rims, suspension lifts, roll cages, engine modifications, body armor, bumpers, differential lockers…

For many Jeepers, it's a never ending list that eventually morphs into a quest for the perfect Jeep.

•••

Because of his background as a fabricator and machinist, Yee became fascinated with building the perfect Jeep.

"It's the pleasure of seeing it work," Yee says about fabrication. "There's a lot of thought that goes into each project, even before you get started."

With a legal settlement, post accident, Yee had enough money to buy a disabled van. But he wasn't too thrilled with his options.

"They all look the same," he says.

What's more, he figured whatever he bought – or built — was probably going to be his last car.

So Yee thought he could give the whole disabled van thing a special twist. It had to be off-roading monster; that was a given. But it also had to accommodate a disabled driver.

"This time, I want all the comforts of home."

In 2004, he got the idea to transform an old vintage Willys Wagon into just such a monster.

So he started thinking. And looking. He went online to check out Jeep stuff on eBay and Craigslist, and he started asking around at the local Jeep shops.

Yee was specific. He wanted a Willys Wagon. But the fenders on the 1948 model weren't pleasing. And from 1959, the front grill was unacceptable. He wanted a classic body, with modern technology,

Now, 1953; thatwas perfect.

"I'm not supposed to be doing this," Yee says, just after describing the '53 model. He moves slowly out of his wheelchair and, with the help of an aid, grabs his walker to go toward the bathroom.

Eventually, everyone Yee talked with about his dream project pointed him toward Larie Tales, a nationally recognized Jeep customizer who owns Jeeps R Us in Laguna Beach.

•••

Tales was more than happy to get in the game.

Tales helped Yee achieve all that by finding a 1953 Willys Wagon and then rebuilding it around a 2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler frame and components.

On the outside, the wagon looks like an original Willys. But on the inside, it's cutting edge technology, with all the creature comforts of a new Wrangler, and able to roar down the highway and climb its way just about any mountain.

The Jeep has a modern dashboard on the inside along with air-conditioning and room for passengers. An air-shock suspension is capable of accommodating 37" tires along with Yee's wheelchair lift.

A 5.7 liter Hemi engine propels the beast and an extra large gas tank makes road trips easy.

Then there are the small touches.

Like the state of the art sound and navigation system. And the light blue LED front and taillights. And the black metal flake paint job that seems to change shades when viewed from different angles. And the flames lightly sketched into the front hood. And the vintage 1953 California Yellow historic license plates.

And the chrome hood ornament that features the devil playing a horn.

"This car is going to be nasty," said Yee, smiling like a teenager. "It's gonna go anywhere."

The question is, will Yee?

Part 2 and pics are below...

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Part 2

Jeeps R Us has never had a sign. But the landmark repair shop in Laguna Canyon hashad an unofficial motto.

"If you can dream it, we can build it."

For any hard-core Jeep fan — and the tens of thousands of off-roaders who turn the noun, "Jeep," into the verb, "Jeeping," qualify – Jeeps R Us is part museum and part NASA-style fabrication playground. On any given day, you can wander the garage at Jeeps R Us and see more than a dozen Jeeps being repaired or restored or totally – sometimes spectacularly – rebuilt.

And, at the center of it all, you'll usually find Larie Tales.

The Toronto transplant long ago swapped his drag racing hobby and a bad marriage for a life of Jeep repair in the canyons of Laguna. He's the one dressed Johnny Cash style; black shirt, black pants, black Jeeps R Us baseball cap. He's usually chatting on a phone or otherwise schmoozing with customers and friends who have brought their Jeeps, and their hopes, into his shop.

"It's almost like a car club," he says.

Daily projects for Tales and his three mechanics run from the mundane (replacing a plastic radiator on a late model Cherokee) to the exotic, such as a recent Hollywood-style project of creating a "Tomb Raider" version of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

As challenging, if less flashy, is a project Tales took on four years ago – to mount the body of a 1953 Willys Wagon atop the guts of a 2005 Rubicon. The goal was the build the ultimate off-road monster equipped for a disabled driver.

Tales' customer on the project is Craig Yee, a longtime Jeep fan who became partially paralyzed in 2002, when the Jeep he was driving was run off the road near San Diego.

Yee – an exacting, no-nonsense customer who used to work as a fabricator – considers the project central to his rehabilitation. As such, he's become a fixture at Tales' shop, paying attention to every detail of his vehicle's transformation.

As he talks up the project, Yee takes on the steely determination of Eisenhower planning the Normandy invasion of WWII. He mentions the 5.7 Hemi engine. The sound system. The bumpers. The historic license plates. The disabled lift…

It's all popped up in Yee's head over the years. But it's been executed – and brought into sharper focus – by Tales.

Yee explains their relationship simply.

"Larie listens."

•••

Money is part of the deal. Tales doesn't work for free.

But, he swears – and evidence seems to back him up – money is only part of the deal. "I've been involved with vehicles all my life," Tales says. "It's what I breathe and dream."

And without Tales it's doubtful that Yee could have built the project on his budget.

"He's a nice guy who has been through hell," Tales says of Yee.

Tales' work with Yee hasn't been easy. Or quick. Or, always, fun.

At one point, for example, Tales' crew pulled the modern dash off Yee's vehicle because the air conditioning ducts didn't circulate. That, in turn, triggered a glitch with the vehicle's in-engine computer, a glitch that delayed the project for months as Tales' mechanics – smart, but not necessarily programmers – troubleshot the problem.

Still, Tales and his crew persevered, long-beyond anything they could possibly be paid for.

"We want (Yee) to have the vehicle of his dreams," Tales says.

Tales has this thing about helping dreams come true.

•••

The shop's chief mechanic, Larry Garcia, 36, a.k.a. "L.G.", is working on a 1970 Jeep J10 Pickup. The truck's body shows a few love taps, but it's in close to original condition, even retaining the Golden Eagle logo on its doors.

Virtually all the original smog equipment is gone. But the owner loves his truck and wants to get it on the road without breaking the bank.

"That's why it's here," Garcia says.

"It's a survivor," he adds. "And we keep the survivors alive."

Garcia was homeless and addicted to meth when he came to Laguna and, in 2004, checked into a sober living home. Soon after, he saw Tales' Jeep wonderland and asked about a job as a mechanic.

"I asked God, that's where I want to work," he said.

Garcia didn't tell Tales that he was homeless, or had a drug background, for a year. When he did, Tales told him he knew in the first days of Garcia's employment, when he called his home number about a Jeep.

"It's his kindness," said Garcia, pointing to his own heart, when asked about working with Tales.

Next to LG is the shop's youngest mechanic Richard Estrada, 26, who goes by the nickname of "Richie," and is working on fitting new motor mounts onto a 1982 Jeep CJ7. Estrada has been with Jeeps R Us since 2002. He started washing cars and, over the years, has grown into a solid journeyman mechanic.

Abel Estrada, 39, (not related to Ritchie) has been with Tales since the beginning and is considered the shop's best engine tuner and customizer. He's figuring out how to install a battery underneath a car for a special application on the Yee's Jeep Willys wagon project as well as the air lines for a hydraulic lifting system.

By late December, those three mechanics, plus Tales, had brought Yee's Willys Wagon to something like a finishing lap.

But even as the project nearly ended, Yee still had more ideas.

"That's the whole thing, a Jeep is never done," Yee has said.

Hours after picking up the Willys – as close to finished as it could be — Yee smashed it into a concrete wall. The driver was unharmed, but the Willys front end and axle were wrecked and the frame was twisted.

Tales was stunned when he heard about the accident. But when he learned that Yee was unhurt, he smiled and said, simply, "we'll just get back to work.

Since then, new axles have arrived. And it looks like Abel's been able to straighten out the frame.

Contact the writer Norberto Santana Jr: 714-796-2221 or nsantana@ocregister.com

Last edited:

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Craig Yee, an incomplete quadaplegic, had his dream car built at Jeeps R Us in Laguna Beach. It's a custom, built-from-the-ground-up, 1953 Willys Wagon.
H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1no41_lg.jpg

Customized knobs adorn the dashboard and floorboard of Craig Yee's dream car. His new car is a 1953 Willys Wagon. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1np01_lg.jpg

Craig Yee's personal touch is demonstrated by the choice of blue turning and braking lights that turn amber and red respectively when applied. Yee's vehicle is a customized Willys Wagon. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1no11_lg.jpg

Custom Mickey Thompson wheels enhance the look of Craig Yee's Willys Wagon. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1nou1_lg.jpg

Technician Abel Alvarez happily helps client Craig Yee into Yee's specially-built 1953 Willys Wagon built at Jeeps R Us in Laguna Beach. This was only the second time Yee sat in his new vehicle. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1noq1_lg.jpg

Craig Yee's powerful Willys Wagon sports an 8 cylinder 5.7 liter Hemi engine producing 345 horsepower. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1noh1_lg.jpg

Technician Abel Alvarez uses a remote to lower a special wheelchair ramp on Craig Yee's custom 1953 Willys Wagon built at Jeeps R Us in Laguna Beach.
H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1nod1_lg.jpg

Craig Yee, an incomplete quadaplegic, had his dream car built at Jeeps R Us in Laguna Beach. It's a custom, built-from-the-ground-up, 1953 Willys Wagon painted in metal flake black. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1nob1_lg.jpg

The steering wheel of Craig Yee's Willys Wagon features a steering knob known as a "suicide knob." H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1no81_lg.jpg

A chrome hood ornament playfully taunts onlookers admiring Craig Yee's powerful Willys Wagon. H. LORREN AU JR., THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

b78454633z120090204174614000gidg1np41_lg.jpg

The story and the rest of the pictures can be found here...

http://www.ocregister.com/photos/yee-jeep-willys-2299666-says-jeeps/pid2299681

DarinM

Explorer
Good story. Thanks for sharing.
Sounds like there are some pretty cool people at Jeeps R Us.

T

Totenkopf

Really cool Jeep. Not much tire room under those rear fenders though.

Midnightburn

Very cool looking Willys. I am in the middle of my own 62 Willys wagon project and I have a question. I noticed that a TJ dash was used.

I am very interested in the modifications that were used to make it fit. I measured my wife's TJ dash and compared it to my wagon dash. The TJ is approximately 55" and the wagon is about 49 at it's widest point. What part of the TJ dash was cut out to make it fit?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great story of a guy never giving up...very cool. Thanks for sharing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk