A Photographer Specific Overlander...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Something I didn't see mentioned, but you might want to consider if your creeks are rocky, is to either move or put a better shield on the evap canister. They make a relocation kit, as well, as a nice skid plate for the stock location.
I have not done either yet, but it's on my very short list of things to do because of all the rocks we have around here.

One other thing to consider is the front bumper "wings" help prevent damage to the front axle/wheel-tire assembly in case of an on road accident, by deforming and deflecting. You could always fab up something that bolts on for street use.

If that is your best buddy in your avatar, there is a company that makes carpeted plates which cover the big gap when the rear seats are down.
Are you a Nikon or Canon guy?

Scott

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Something I didn't see mentioned, but you might want to consider if your creeks are rocky, is to either move or put a better shield on the evap canister. They make a relocation kit, as well, as a nice skid plate for the stock location.
I have not done either yet, but it's on my very short list of things to do because of all the rocks we have around hee.
Scott

They started coming with a skid plate for the EVAP canister from the factory somewhere around 2012. My 13 has the factory skidplate, I just redrilled the mounting holes to move it a bit for when it flexes so it doesn't hit the driveshaft. Teraflex has a video for it.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Hey Comanche Scott,
I am looking into the aftermarket evap skids...River Raider seems to make an entire underbody set that includes this too. My avatar is one of our two shepherds, Thoreau...the other is Leopold. They're the primary reasons I'm going with a JKUR instead of a 2 door...and the extra space for camera gear. Nikon for me all the way....and a Zeiss lens or too of course ;)

FastGlass

Adventurer
Hey Comanche Scott,
I am looking into the aftermarket evap skids...River Raider seems to make an entire underbody set that includes this too. My avatar is one of our two shepherds, Thoreau...the other is Leopold. They're the primary reasons I'm going with a JKUR instead of a 2 door...and the extra space for camera gear. Nikon for me all the way....and a Zeiss lens or too of course ;)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey Comanche Scott,

GSDs and a JKUR, two out of three is good. Now if you just used Canon gear, you'd have the trifecta... Just kidding. :D
Yeah the stock "evap protector" is pretty weak compared to the aftermarket products. Good choice!
I really enjoy photography. I suck at it, and can waste entire days in the pursuit of a decent picture, but it sure is fun!
Looking forward to following your build as we have very similar purposes. Have you looked at the Ursa Minor tops? I'm am strongly leaning towards the J30.
I'm betting your skills behind the lens are far superior to my poor attempts. So will look forward to your exploits in picture format. :beer:

Scott

FastGlass

Adventurer
....... Have you looked at the Ursa Minor tops? I'm am strongly leaning towards the J30.
I'm betting your skills behind the lens are far superior to my poor attempts. So will look forward to your exploits in picture format. :beer:

Scott
I have, actually, but I think I'm going with a Gobi rack and one of the James Baroud offerings...unless someone can sway me towards giving other manufacturers a good look. The Gobi inherently offers corner protection all around, at the expense of a bit of height...could be a mixed bag for my purpose in the NE woods. The Ursa J30 is AWSOME and will help keep the weight low(er) as well as access from the interior, but it has to use some interior space to do that. Also, I'll be using the top to stash som low profile extras...shovel, axe, etc....
Still a bit off on that stuff though. Just glad I'm settled on a solid lift pkg (AEV 3.5) and the bumpers, winch, recovery gear, wheels, tires and skids....I'll sleeve and gusset the axles and weld in some plates to protect the LCA's (overkill for my application, but....) and call that "Phase 1 complete" :)
Christmas is around the corner, and we're gonna find out just how many Baja Design lighting kit will fit in a stocking and ARB compressors/genesis dual batt./ Spod/optima yellow tops will fit under a 12' tree...
...gonna hafta get a wide azz tree this year methinks ;)
...as for the photography, if you're shooting what YOU love, it can't be bad at all...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great Phase one list!

Sweet! that is an awesome list of goodies in "Phase 1".
Hope you've got a heated garage where you can get everything installed!

LoD is coming out with a rack that "looks" awesome. The whole "rack" portion slides back while (according to their information) holding 300 lbs. It is supposed to support up to 600 lbs nested and static (so like two adults and a roof top tent). When slid back it makes an awning over the rear of the vehicle, and I'm hoping is tall enough for the J30 to fit under. No pricing yet, but they are expecting it to be competitive with the Gobi.
That would make me strongly consider a full on rack. Otherwise I'll add rails to the J30 which match the Yakima rack already on the hardtop.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Just tossing this out there:

https://pronghorngear.com/products/modular-front-end-system/

I would think probably the most extreme bumper on the market and has the options to change it up should you want a different look.
I did check that out...similar to the Genright but with a lot of options. Truthfully, I just don't like it. Modular is nice but for my purposes, I'm building this for a pretty singular use, and I dont ever see myself "crawling". The full width, yet high clearance corners of the E1 seem about right....I like the ARB and AEV too, but want that hoop pointing outwards to take a hit first. And E1 was willing to work with me on the custom grill guard...

FastGlass

Adventurer
Confirmation from Jacob at Expedition One on the custom bumper build today...actually being built today :)....really getting excited now. Both bumpers and Rubi skid in about 4 weeks delivered.
Can't believe I did this, BUT....
Ordered today:

ARB dual compressor
Genesis dual batt. system
Two yellowtops
Spod
ARB diff covers/gaskets
Hi lift xtreme
ARB recovery gear
ARB inflator, ez deflator accessory kit
Warn Zeon 10-s w remote and cover
Cobra 29 lx
Bunch of Baja Design lights...

Will get the AEV RS lift and RROR skids ordered in a few weeks, wheels and tires by mid Nov., Gobi and RTT for Xmas (dropping BIG hints, but, I got her a new TDI Touareg for her birthday 2 yrs ago, so favor is DUE ;)
any suggestions for internal sleeves for the axles, gusset set and LCA skids that can work with the geometry brackets from AEV?
Will start a nice build thread once the Jeep actually comes in....Ha!

HAFICON

Adventurer
Nice set up I was just admiring the new Bluetooth app for the SPOD.

As for axle re-enforcement I would do a Truss system, all the reenforcement you need and will not limit the possibility for upgraded axles later down the road should you choose to do that. ARTEC makes a nice set up I however did TnT. My advise is if you have all this work done get the housing powder coated while it is stripped down. This Northeast salt and sand sucks. I'm from Alabama and rust has never been a problem drives me nuts up here.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Confirmation from Jacob at Expedition One on the custom bumper build today...actually being built today :)....really getting excited now. Both bumpers and Rubi skid in about 4 weeks delivered.
Can't believe I did this, BUT....
Ordered today:

ARB dual compressor
Genesis dual batt. system
Two yellowtops
Spod
ARB diff covers/gaskets
Hi lift xtreme
ARB recovery gear
ARB inflator, ez deflator accessory kit
Warn Zeon 10-s w remote and cover
Cobra 29 lx
Bunch of Baja Design lights...

Will get the AEV RS lift and RROR skids ordered in a few weeks, wheels and tires by mid Nov., Gobi and RTT for Xmas (dropping BIG hints, but, I got her a new TDI Touareg for her birthday 2 yrs ago, so favor is DUE ;)
any suggestions for internal sleeves for the axles, gusset set and LCA skids that can work with the geometry brackets from AEV?
Will start a nice build thread once the Jeep actually comes in....Ha!

Sweet! That's a nice order.
Your UPS guy is going to need a back brace... lol :beer:

Terex

Adventurer
I have, actually, but I think I'm going with a Gobi rack and one of the James Baroud offerings...unless someone can sway me towards giving other manufacturers a good look. The Gobi inherently offers corner protection all around, at the expense of a bit of height...

A Frontrunner rack with a full slat platform will give you a superior base for photography. Extra bars around edges of Gobi may protect, but also may snatch branches and otherwise give your JK a wider profile if you're going through narrow areas. There was a professional photographer who posted his build on wranglerforum.com but I couldn't find it doing a quick search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach