A problem: big burbs 4sale

thebmrust

We have a 99 1500 w 250,000 miles. It’s been a good rig but getting to the nickel/dime/dollar stage of its life.

Trans has been replaced.
Top end, suspension/steering are needing desperate attention.
The rest is a typical vehicle issues.

Given the price of fuel, it’s hard to think about getting a vehicle that has bad MPG.

BUT, there are several 3/4 ton Burbs for sale for rock bottom prices.
2001 Yukon XL 2500 $2500
2001 Suburban 6.0L $4000
1986 K10 lifted, some mods $5500
1985 3/4 ton $1500 (bad trans)
1984 diesel $2000 (needs starter replaced)

The wife says “we need a vehicle that gets us out of town when SHTF happens.” (we have family and dogs to evac). We feel a Burb is kinda necessary. The current one isn’t reliable for an emergency road trip in its current state of operation.

The loose plan:
Get a used 3/4 ton, make it solid. Then bring the current 99 Burb up to reliability. That gives us two options if needed. (One is none, two is one).

Am I crazy?

note: I’ve heard almost all 3/4 ton burbs are very solid machines. Versus the 1/2 ton years had a lot of issues (99 & 2004-06 were solid). I feel that the 1/2 ton models have more overall problems than the bigger brothers.

She wants an older (fewer electronics) model. So 80’s? I’ve always liked the 2006 year. But that’s too modern/new.

I can wrench and learn new things. Patience is sometimes one of my traits. Always looking for and acquiring materials for projects then doing a project once it’s feasible.

Are WE crazy?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Adventure vehicles are fun but realistically if the world fell apart. Getting out of town wouldn't be a resolution. Might be better to buy a chunk of land somewhere if concerned about getting out of the city. And maybe buy a mini-van or similar that is more practical and fuel efficient.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I recently refreshed a 99 suburban for about $3k, including a full engine overhaul, fuel injection system, full brakes, ball joints, steering components. It took about 200 -250 hours of my time, but a refresh is often more economical than buying someone else’s worn out junk.

thebmrust

We have a destination if it gets bad.
But roads between here and there can be paved to lifted 4x4 only. (Winter vs summer makes a difference too).

We have discussed an EMP, and that’s an area I know almost nothing about. I’m sure the older the vehicle the easier it is to prevent EMP damage.

Refreshing is our plan, and it does’t matter if it’s our vehicle or getting someone else’s problem child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179