A question for 05-10 Tacoma owners with a FWC

oddball

How did you secure it? Ive researched it a bit and I guess I have to some how go through the bed to the frame. I have an 08 regular cab and Im looking at an 80s Fleet. I have to install it myself to even get it home. Any help would be appreciated,

Robert

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Hello there

I think you are going to need to get a little creative.

The old FWC's were different than the modern day FWC's.

The old Fleet Models were usually bolted down to the truck bed.

(you can probably see the original holes in your camper floor still)

We will typically NOT bolt an FWC on the 2005 - 2010 Toyota Tacoma trucks in fear that the camper bolts will rip through Toyota composite (plastic) truck bed.

We either use Tork-Lift external tie downs, or we normally use custom internal steel brackets that bolt to the truck bed.

BUT, the modern day steel custom brackets we use won't help you because the older four wheel campers usually did not have any eye nuts in the camper base or any access ports holes for access to the truck bed for attaching internal turn buckles.

Maybe the easiest way would be installing some eye nuts / eye bolts in the edges of the camper bought and using external tie downs.

You might want to look at this thread ...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3557/

It might not be what you want to hear, but I hope it helps gives you a better idea on what your next steps will need to be.

Happy Camping !

Attachments

• P10100022222.JPG
    P10100022222.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 142
  • P1010001111.JPG
    P1010001111.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Tacoma Bed Brackets (NEW 3).JPG
    Tacoma Bed Brackets (NEW 3).JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 105
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 7.JPG
    TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 7.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Tacoma Install Brackets # 11.JPG
    Tacoma Install Brackets # 11.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 123

oddball

Hi Stan, I appreciate the reply, I had a feeling there was going to be problems with the install. As much as id like to get a new camper, its at least a year off. Ill just have to figure it out. Thanks for the mounting suggestions

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I bet you can figure something out.

If you can't afford a new camper, finding a nice used camper is a great way to go.

At least it gets you out there.

Just bring lots of rope, tie downs straps, etc. when you go to pick the camper up.

And bring something to raise the camper up a little (2x4's, or something like that) to stick under the camper.

The newer Tacoma trucks have a slightly deeper truck bed, so without a small home-made platform to put in your truck bed before you put the camper on the truck, the camper will only be resting on the bed rails of the truck.

This would NOT be a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

Attachments

• wood base platform.jpg
    wood base platform.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 144

18seeds

Explorer
anybody have more info on the Finch one the Silver Tacoma Double Cab Short bed? Would be interested in some more pics

18seeds

Explorer
Stan the man sent me these today

P10100055555.jpg

P10100033333.jpg

P10100022222.jpg

P1010004444.jpg

FinchonTacomawith5Bed3.jpg

FinchonTacomawith5Bed2.jpg

FinchonTacomawith5Bed1.jpg

Last edited:

Riz

Walmart sells some ratchet straps that I used to hold an older fleet model on my 2000 Tacoma. There were eyebolts on the camper and I attached the straps to them, and the truck frame underneath. The straps are nice because they ratchet up any excess strap so there's nothing hanging off and blowing in the wind. About 20 bucks or so for four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal