A.R.E. Aluminum DCU “camper lite” build

Bella PSD

Explorer
Not much happening on the ARE. I did sell the other one I had. It turned out looking good painted black. Getting paint on these makes all the difference.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_058.jpg

I have the ARE I am keeping in the garage stripped down getting ready for the RED paint. The rack mount turned out to be very simple yet strong. I will post up some more pictures soon.

Louie

SFROMAN

Adventurer
That looks very nice. Paint does make a big difference in the asthetics department. I am waiting for the body shop to get some space so I can get mine matched to my trucks paint. After seeing the pic above I am know convinced that I made the right decision in purchasing an ARE. That is exactly the look that I want. Thanks for posting up the pic.

super04duty

Observer
Cap looks good. This is something Ive been thinking about for my truck also. Cant wait for more pics.

Also, where did you get the export/aussie tail lights? Ive been looking for those since I bought my truck. :drool:

theMec

Adventurer
vertical side walls

Did you guys know you can get vertical side walls on these A.R.E. shells? Besides a huge difference in interior space, you can actually lean up against them when you're drinking your beer. :ylsmoke:
The option is called "Radius Front / 90° Side Walls on 29" and 36" Units Only"
on the option page:
http://www.4are.com/product/dcu/options.php

Bella PSD

Explorer
Cap looks good. This is something Ive been thinking about for my truck also. Cant wait for more pics.

Also, where did you get the export/aussie tail lights? Ive been looking for those since I bought my truck. :drool:

From a for sale section on another forum. Had them for a few years now. Never seen any like it before in the US. They took a lot to mount though. Had to rewire all the lights because the American lights are stop and signal in one. I really like having 1 light for each brake and turn signal.

super04duty

Observer
From a for sale section on another forum. Had them for a few years now. Never seen any like it before in the US. They took a lot to mount though. Had to rewire all the lights because the American lights are stop and signal in one. I really like having 1 light for each brake and turn signal.

Oh, I know. I got tail lights from Germany for my Neon. They also have the amber turn signals and I had to wire the car for them. Been looking for some for the truck for a few years now. Havent had any luck.

You have any more pics of the cap/lights?

Bella PSD

Explorer
No pics, but in the next few days I am going to get it out to the painter. Its been stuck in the garage for 2 months now. Be nice to get it out and painted. The roof rack mount is welded up. Just need to drill the holes. I will install the LED lights after its painted. Just havn't found any LED lights I like yet.

I get some pics up in the next few days of the progress.

Louie

sapper

Adventurer
Any more updates. I love this thing and I will be buying one because of this thread.

Any more pictures of the inside construction.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I was out working on it and now its pouring down rain! So that sounds like a good time to get some pictures up on here. Give me about an hour.:sombrero:

Bella PSD

Explorer
I will try to get it mounted on the truck in the morning. I will update for now what has been done.

The bright Stainless handles had to be toned down. I don't really have any chrome on the truck. Started out with self etching primer and roughing up the surface.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_050.jpg

After applying about 6 coats of LOW gloss black I think its good.
KMCN_Portraits_1-2010_037.jpg

Here is a before and after
Truck_Rack_and_topper_072b.jpg

Next I removed the door plunger type stoppers that keep the door open. I am installing gas shocks on each door to open it and keep it open when it's windy out. So the holes needed to be filled in on both doors, 8 holes in all.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_053.jpg

Here is a shot before it was painted. I also have the rack mount mocked up and sitting in place here.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_059.jpg

What I came up with for the rack is kind of different than what most of the aluminum caps have. Most caps come with vertical bars that come down onto the side of the body. Looks not so great but holds the weight good. So I started trying to find a way to hold the weight without big bars coming down the sides. What I was first looked at doing was running a support inside the cap from the front to the back on both sides to hold the racks weight. But after thinking it over I did not like all the space this would take up inside when it could go on top of the cap. Plus I would loose space were I could be insulating the cap.

So on top it went. This bar is 1/8" wall 1”x3”x almost 7 feet long. One on each side and super strong when it all gets bolted together. Best part is nothing hanger down on the sides of the cap. The outside rack bars will bolt directly into 3/16" thick plates welded to the inside frame on each end of the cap. Plus the rack bars run over a frame piece just under the tool boxes, adding to the strength.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_060.jpg

This rack mount exoskeleton works out great for my next idea I was trying to get worked out. A rear awning and storage for the awning poles. The 1”x3” bars will house the pull out awning poles. At first I wanted to have the awning full together at all times and slide between the rack mount but it worked out to be to narrow. So next best thing is just sliding the awning material on after the poles are pulled out. These awning poles will only add the strength of the rack mount in the stored position.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_061.jpg

Here a mock up of the poles sliding out of the rack mount.
Truck_Rack_and_topper_063.jpg

And one more shot with some wood poles used to test the lenght they will pull out. I am thinking I will have a covered area about 3 feet by 6 feet. Don't let the wood sagging fool you....
Truck_Rack_and_topper_069.jpg

OK your almost caught up....It's now a beautiful Toreador red with all black trim!!! I need to put the cap together in the morning and get it mounted up. I need to get all the doors back on and insulated. I am also working on a better way to mount the cap. Most places just drill holes and bolt it down. I am going to try to clamp it down; less holes drilled the better IMO….

Louie

Edit:The big hold up on getting this cap done is to many projects!! I am in the middle of Bushwacker cut out flares, 37 BFG Baja's with double beadlock wheels and a new Warn winch bumper.

Last edited:

super04duty

Observer
Id like to see any more progress too. This is still one of my favorite builds, as its fairly simple and useful.. and what Im still thinking about doing with my truck.

96discoXD

Adventurer
I will definitely be watching this thread, I just picked one of these toppers up for my GMC Sierra and I'll be building it out for camping/hunting and mild expo use. I practically stole mine (paid $225), so I'm giddy to be rid of the fiberglass topper that came on the truck, these DCU's are really well built. Mine has the factory aluminum ladder rack on the top, my plan is to attach my Yakima Mega Warrior rack to that and fab my own mounts for the axe/shovel and hi-lift, as well as lights. Unfortunately my rack was damaged, but I was able to source the necessary aluminum and I have a friend that can TIG 1/16" wall aluminum, so it's all good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz