A.Wilson013's 1999 4Runner

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
The rack is done!

Got the call yesterday- the rack was back from getting powder coated.

I didn't want to post a bunch of iPotato pics, so I waited until today so I could take some proper shots of it in it's natural habitat... A parking garage.

To say I am pleased with the outcome would be a massive understatement. I freaking love this thing.

DSC_0089 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0060 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0082 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

DSC_0084 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Loubaru

Adventurer
As always, truck and pictures look great! Looks like Boeing South Seattle? I just drove through that area earlier today for a quick stop (now in "beautiful" Elma, WA :)). If I can ever finally settle/accept the size/power of my 4Runner it will look very similar to your VERY well built rig minus the super charger. Then there is my want for a 100 series, rental property, and track car that might take president....

What size tires are those and other than the body lift and I'm assuming some minor pounding did it take anything to make them fit at full compression? E or D rated....? Any flats?

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
As always, truck and pictures look great! Looks like Boeing South Seattle? I just drove through that area earlier today for a quick stop (now in "beautiful" Elma, WA :)). If I can ever finally settle/accept the size/power of my 4Runner it will look very similar to your VERY well built rig minus the super charger. Then there is my want for a 100 series, rental property, and track car that might take president....

What size tires are those and other than the body lift and I'm assuming some minor pounding did it take anything to make them fit at full compression? E or D rated....? Any flats?

Thanks man =D It's the Boeing in Renton. Pictures are on the top floor of the Renton Landing parking garage.

The tires are 285/70/17 Duratracs in a "D" load rating. Never had a flat. I "clearanced" the fenders before I did the bodylift (1/2") but all I really did was fold the pinch weld flat. RANDOMLY while wheeling they will rub on something plastic for a split second. No idea what the heck they're hitting because I cannot replicate it in my garage.

killzone90

What size tubing did u use for ur roof rack and how hard would it b to get a roof top tent to mount on it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

nswanny

Observer
Always really liked your build seeing it on the net. Pretty sure I saw it on the road a time or two as well around the state.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
What size tubing did u use for ur roof rack and how hard would it b to get a roof top tent to mount on it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The tubing is 1" round 16 gauge for the outside "frame" of the platform and the crossbars are 1" square 16 guage.

I am actually out in the garage modifying my RTT to mount to it right now. Essentially it's going to be mounted with 4 U-bolts that will straddle the round tubing of the frame. I'd be done by now, but my drill battery just died...

The down side to how I am mounting it is that I will have to open the tent a little bit to mount it and dismount it. On the flip side of that, if someone wants to steal it they'll have to open the tent in order to get at all the nuts unless they're familiar with how they work. That or cut the rack or bolts, but it'll at least keep honest people honest. A tweaker could cut it off in a few minutes I am sure.

Always really liked your build seeing it on the net. Pretty sure I saw it on the road a time or two as well around the state.

Thanks! I do get around Washington and Oregon quite a bit. What do you drive? I'll keep an eye out for you.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Here's a quick picture of how I am using the u-bolts to mount the tent. I got it mounted tonight, but plan to wrap some electrical tape around where the bolt contacts the rack in order to protect the powdercoat.

It's VERY sturdy up there. I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow w/ my camera- the iPhone shots are hideous.

eULSuXwl.jpg

nswanny

Observer
Thanks! I do get around Washington and Oregon quite a bit. What do you drive? I'll keep an eye out for you.

I drive a black 2006 Sport. It's mostly stock so you'll have to look for the white EXPED sticker on the rear driver side window or green Arbor snowboards sticker on the rear window.

b63215b

Adventurer
How did you mount the rack to the truck, do you have any pictures of that?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
How did you mount the rack to the truck, do you have any pictures of that?

Good question! I do have some pics. In fact, I'll just include everything I have, including the CAD drawing I gave the fabricator to build off of. Here those are...

aXIo0c5l.png

muUdifdl.png

And a picture of my Inno faring which I think is pretty slick. I had a black Arc'teryx decal sitting around FOREVER waiting for a spot to live, so I placed it on the faring. Subtle, but looks pretty cool I think.

Fbx2k8Kl.jpg

Here's how it mounts on to the factory tracks... There's a piece of 1" x 3" flat stock in the track itself with holes tapped into it. 1 bolt on either side of the legs.

vzz30Skl.jpg

ab4GLZdl.jpg

Here are the front legs which the fabricator whipped up after looking at another t4r member's design (BigFishAllDay). I did NOT want to drill into the roof, so he just made the legs a little longer than they needed to be so the rack would have a natural downward pressure on the feet. It turned out really well, and also kept the factory drainage "channel" functional.

xDaAXLLl.jpg

b63215b

Adventurer
Awesome your the man, i will be building my second rack soon and this looks like a good idea to steal, thanks. Only problem is i can't bend the corners.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Awesome your the man, i will be building my second rack soon and this looks like a good idea to steal, thanks. Only problem is i can't bend the corners.

Sorry I missed this! BigFishAllDay on T4R built a VERY similiar rack but didn't bend the corners. May be worth a gander.

AS FOR THE 4RUNNER

I have been having some cold start issues... Just runs weird for about 10 seconds or so, then it runs fine after. I figured it was a fuel issue, and had the injectors rebuilt (I am sure they were due anyway) to no avail.

Decided to run a compression check and found that cylinder 6 was pretty dang low... 150, while everything else was 175-190. I thought I was doomed, head gasket blown, etc. To be sure, I rented a test kit from Autozone that checks the coolant for combustion gases. It passed! No gasses in the coolant. Told my mechanic friend and he recommended letting 2 tbsp of Marvel Mystery Oil soak on the cylinder overnight. So I did that. Added 2 tbsp to the cylinder, and turned the crank by hand after 2 hours. Added 2 more tbsp, then turned it again and let it sit overnight.

The next morning I checked compression again.... 175! The engine feels like it runs much better, and I haven't had my cold start issue again thus far... I know better than to call it fixed.

Also picked up a Yeti Tundra 65 this weekend with my REI dividend and 20% off one item coupon.

Last edited:

yakkerX

Here's a quick picture of how I am using the u-bolts to mount the tent. I got it mounted tonight, but plan to wrap some electrical tape around where the bolt contacts the rack in order to protect the powdercoat.

It's VERY sturdy up there. I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow w/ my camera- the iPhone shots are hideous.

eULSuXwl.jpg

You might want to look into sliding some fuel hose around the u-bolts rather than just some electrical tape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal