Aberdeen Washington: 2002 Suburban 4x4 z71 G80 Adeventuremobile/home/photostudio

kins18q

Adventurer
I have 285/70/17 on my suburban z71. I love them. Perfect size. Also, have the torsions cranked. I am taking the ford keys that are on my f150 and putting them on the burb and adding H2 rear springs. I have Monroe monoshocks and they are AWESOME. super smooth and controlled. Love seeing the big dogs being built up. there is a Tahoe on here built nicely. its an 02 as well if I remember. But search it out. Its built perfect for what your looking at.

The burb needs new shocks. So I'm thinking bilstein 5100 in the front to get 2" lift. Do any of you guys use 1-2" spacers in the back? If I get spacers and longer shocks can I still maintain full wheel travel?

Burb One

Adventurer
The burb needs new shocks. So I'm thinking bilstein 5100 in the front to get 2" lift. Do any of you guys use 1-2" spacers in the back? If I get spacers and longer shocks can I still maintain full wheel travel?

Before going just now with the 6 inch, I had 2" spacers in the back and they worked great, just be careful with the torsion crank in the front, too much and suspension (CV/balljoint) wear rate will be much faster, along with depending on how serious the offroading is, and your right foot, chance of breaking the CV's.

Also, regarding tire size. If we are talking below 33's, go with the largest you can if you end up taking this off road at all. With the long wheel base, any space underneath you can get is a huge advantage for the .5-1 mpg hit you will take. IMO 33's are a perfect size and larger than 33's on these trucks is too much of an mpg and reliability hit (plus you'll have to regear).

I am on 16's, and I have 285/75/16 (~33's) on mine both when I had the leveling kit and rear spacers, and still have the same size with the 6 inch lift. The 33 size is a perfect balance for getting some more clearance and still being okay on the MPG/ drivetrain longevity

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

The shocks don't give you the lift. I would advise against bilsteins, they are very stiff and I have seen bent and broken shafts on them more than once. I have 2" of lift on front of my burb from cranking the torsion bars, the Monroe shocks work great. smooth controlled ride. I am going to be running the hummer H2 springs in the rear, gives about 1" of lift and more carrying capacity.

kins18q

Adventurer
Awning

Finished the awning. Used the design from evldave. That dude is the MAN. Planning on putting together his double battery and solar systems as well.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65647-How-to-build-a-quality-awning-for-less-than-100

9'6"x7'6" Freestanding awning like the standard ARB of RhinoRack style but for 1/4 - 1/3 the price. I'm in $90 total. I also like how much less likely someone is to see it and think it's worth stealing. Wanted it as big as I could get it without needing extra hardware. EMT conduit comes in 10 ft pieces, so got a 9'6" long tarp. The extendable poles are 8ft so I went with a width of 7'6".

20160113_142938.jpg

Lashed to the roofrack with big quickfists. All poles are rolled up inside

20160113_155017.jpg

Awning unrolled, you can see the side brace extendable poles are swung in for storage.

20160113_154639.jpg

Side brace poles swing out and extend for taught pitch

20160113_154020.jpg

20160113_154114 (1).jpg

Add support poles and extend to desired height

20160113_154327.jpg

20160113_154337.jpg

Attachments

• 20160113_142750.jpg
    20160113_142750.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20160113_142716.jpg
    20160113_142716.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20160113_142738.jpg
    20160113_142738.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
That awning came out great! Nice size to it to, both rolled up and deployed.

On the rear shocks, and related to skids and such, I'm looking around for solutions to relcoate the rear shock axle mounts. They hang down something like 3"+ below the axle tube. Just terrible. So I'm looking at ways to relocate or replace them, upward. Which might also negate any need for longer new shocks, if you upgrade the rear coil springs. The more I look at the mounts the more they bother me. It's a 4wd. ground clearance issues should have been a focus. The rear shock mounts are just ludicrous for off-road driving, where you try to straddle obstructions and take them inboard of the tires to miss the rear axle pumpkin. My / our rear shock mounts are just hanging down right in that path. I don't think I could roll a basketball thru there, and it out to clear the axle tube by ~3-4". I'll take some pictures and hard measurements tomorrow if I remember. Right now I just recall they hang down quite a bit and it bugged me a lot, re the kind of places I want to take it.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Glad I could help out with the awning. I may steal some of your ideas as well since I am in the market for a NBS Suburban/camping/tow rig. Keep posting as you build things out, I'll steal all your good ideas :)

kins18q

Adventurer
Update

Replaced all the interior lights with LEDs. Supposed to draw 1/10th the power of regular bulbs.

20160202_212029.jpg

20160202_212124.jpg

Also picked up a cargo box with a sweet snail sticker on craigslist for $50. Should fit a bunch of lightweight but voluminous gear (sleeping bags, ropes etc)

20160202_214049.jpg

Also ordered some new tires. Picking them up tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for talking sense into me about the Treadwrights. Ended up with Cooper Discoverer AT/3 255/75 17. Only $132/tire at tirecrawler.com! Plus since they are out of LA, I can pick them to avoid shipping. The reviews on this tire are off the chart. Easy choice. Half an inch taller than stock, and 10mm narrower. Shouldn't affect gas mileage much. Maybe the thinner profile will offset the extra half inch height? Will post pictures when we have them mounted.

Things still on the to-do list:

Sleeping platform/drawers
Dual battery+solar
Fridge
Shocks
Coil spacer/torsion key lift ~1.5"-2"
Bike rack

Any advice on any of these topics is wellllcome!

kins18q

Adventurer
Trasharoo

Saw the Trasharoo and love the idea of keeping the trash outside the truck. Had an old duffel lying around, so I butchered it to make my own.
20160212_120635.jpg
20160212_120708.jpg

And used the duffel scraps to keep the grime off the moving parts of the hi-lift.
20160213_160801.jpg

And the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 255/75/17
20160213_161330.jpg

Put some wind deflectors on so we can keep the windows cracked even if its raining/snowing. We are going to be living inside this thing!
20160203_172008.jpg

Last edited:

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
Finished the awning. Used the design from evldave. That dude is the MAN. Planning on putting together his double battery and solar systems as well.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65647-How-to-build-a-quality-awning-for-less-than-100

9'6"x7'6" Freestanding awning like the standard ARB of RhinoRack style but for 1/4 - 1/3 the price. I'm in $90 total. I also like how much less likely someone is to see it and think it's worth stealing. Wanted it as big as I could get it without needing extra hardware. EMT conduit comes in 10 ft pieces, so got a 9'6" long tarp. The extendable poles are 8ft so I went with a width of 7'6".

View attachment 324909

Lashed to the roofrack with big quickfists. All poles are rolled up inside

View attachment 324918

Awning unrolled, you can see the side brace extendable poles are swung in for storage.

View attachment 324919

Side brace poles swing out and extend for taught pitch

View attachment 324920

View attachment 324921

Add support poles and extend to desired height

View attachment 324922

View attachment 324923

I am loving the awning. I will be copying the design of the folding support legs, thats brilliant. Great job.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
I am loving the awning. I will be copying the design of the folding support legs, thats brilliant. Great job.

What did you use for the poles? These look different than the ones Evldave used in his post. These look like 2 section and appear more stout. Brand or part number would be great! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
I suggest you consider applying some of that clear peel and stick chip guard film under that seabag. The dirty secret of 'trasharoos' is they abrade your paint finish very quickly in dusty gritty conditions.

rayra

Expedition Leader
What did you use for the poles? These look different than the ones Evldave used in his post. These look like 2 section and appear more stout. Brand or part number would be great! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look like painter's poles to me. If you find those too costly, I just put up a 'How To' on fabricating adjustable awning poles out of EMT / metal conduit -
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...g-Tent-Awning-poles-from-EMT-Conduit-A-How-To

Cost about $8 apiece and a little time.

EMTawningpoles08_zpsincn9yhl.jpg
EMTawningpoles09_zpsadhfordn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven