Advice? - Importing to Canada

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Hi Guys.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable importer in Canada, experienced with foreign Land Cruisers?

We are thinking about bringing our 1997 RHD Diesel Prado LC90 in from Malaysia.

We were inspired this summer by all the Japanese Mavica's and Super Exceed's running around BC. I have to figure there's someone out there with the experience to help us get this done.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Jay.

shredwagon

Observer
Hey There -

Assuming you're in Canada, choosing an importer would depend which coast you're on. If you check out the Diesel Section on IH8MUD.com, you will find lots of Canadians experienced in the importation process. Mainly imports from Japan, not Malaysia. Should be the same paperwork though, just more shipping costs.

As for importing a '97..... not going to happen for another 2 years. Canada has a 15 year restriction on importation. I imported my '92 HDJ81 in 2008.

If you're in the States, well, good luck with that! :bike_rider:

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Its your lucky Day...My Brother Imports Cars and has a company...Fraser Valley Imports...Just google it...I dont know the actually site...He is based out of Langley BC. Good Guy...I do however have some unfortunate news...Vehicles Imported to Canada must be 15 years old or older...Being that it is 2011, 1996's just became legal in Canada. To import your 1997 you will have to wait for one more year...Now these are just the Japanese to Canada rules...Do your research...

dinoevo

Adventurer
The 15year rule applies to every car which hasn't been available in North America. Has nothing to do with JDMs. So in your case you would need to wait a while (depending on the production month/year)

Also this forum should give you the best infos: http://forum.ivoac.ca/
You can also ask any import questions in the Canadian Delica forum as we had to do the same procedure for our van: http://www.delica.ca/forum/

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Yup...Looked into it too...It is 15 years for any vehicle coming from outside of Canada other then the Vehicles from the US. Hope you Get your vehicle in...Sounds pretty sweet...You can import it now but you will have to wait till January 2012 to get it inspected and registered in Canada. Hope this all helps...Good Luck

ForealBoreal

Observer
Its your lucky Day...My Brother Imports Cars and has a company...Fraser Valley Imports...Just google it...I dont know the actually site...He is based out of Langley BC. Good Guy...I do however have some unfortunate news...Vehicles Imported to Canada must be 15 years old or older...Being that it is 2011, 1996's just became legal in Canada. To import your 1997 you will have to wait for one more year...Now these are just the Japanese to Canada rules...Do your research...

small world. Bens a stand up guy who helped me out a ton when learning the ropes.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
On another note, the 15 years old, (As I have read it), applys to the MONTH of manufacture. Thus a 97 made in Aug of 96 is importable as of Aug 2011. Check the RIV (registrar of imported vehicles) website on the Canadian Gov't website for the real details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Jay, it's easy and cheap to do it yourself. I brought a 110 from Singapore to Vancouver with no issues. (Not the Blue one you saw over there, the black one I have now).

It just needed marker lights and daytime running lights, and Canadian tire did that for me when they did the vehicle inspection, it never needed to leave their shop (which was handy for me since I was in NY).

The 97 is close enough to 15 yrs to do a work around.

Message me on FB and I will take you through it.

Cheers

Ray

ForealBoreal

Observer
customs does not mess around if its not 15 tough cookie no exceptions.
unless you have a registered customs broker doing your paperwork and have fake paperwork.

dinoevo

Adventurer
marker lights and daytime running lights
To be street legal in Canada you also need LHD headlights. You have to either change the lens or the whole assembly. Also most of the time the tires have no load rating or DOT stamp on them, which means you need to change them as well.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
To be street legal in Canada you also need LHD headlights. You have to either change the lens or the whole assembly. Also most of the time the tires have no load rating or DOT stamp on them, which means you need to change them as well.

That's interesting. I guess the defender is set up with enough headlight adjustment that you can adjust them to be LHD or RHD. The tires my truck had were standard Goodyear MTRs so no issues there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online