Advice on a 2006 UZJ100

mgb

I'm looking to buy a 100 (nearly got one off of a member here, but it was too far away). I found a pretty good deal on one not too far from me ($35k, with under 60k miles). There is a big 'but' however; it's had about $3000 in maintenance over the last 3 months.

Both the telescoping and tilting motors in the steering column were replaced and the rear seat dvd control unit was replaced also. A short in the DVD system was also fixed.

Do you guys think this is an indicator of a truck I should stay away from?

Has anyone had similar experiences to share? It's a lot of money for me so I'm being careful.

Thanks,
Mike

Fergie

Expedition Leader
In general, if you have doubts about a vehicle such as you have expressed here, I would pass it up and wait.

Unless you know the Owner, and the exact history of the vehicle, the possible Pandora's Box isn't worth the time and hassle, especially with a new to you vehicle.

Bighead

Adventurer
It's a valid concern. I ended up waiting for and buying a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned '04 UZJ100 that had a factory extended warranty. I have already used that for the Navigation system and a couple of other small things.

Take your time and find the one you are comfortable with.

anthonycds

Adventurer
I would wait. Like the others have said, it's best to stay away from anything you may have doubts about especially when investing in this. Certified pre-owned is a plus too. It will give you piece of mind rather than finding out the hard way. Good luck!

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice guys...

I passed this one up based in part on your advice.

IT wouldnt have worried me at all. The seller was honest enough to report it and the items repaired give no indication that the vechicle is suspect.
Many new vehicles have a few glitches and a tilt motor and dvd controller is not much when you consider the complexity of the electrical system.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
IT wouldnt have worried me at all. The seller was honest enough to report it and the items repaired give no indication that the vechicle is suspect.
Many new vehicles have a few glitches and a tilt motor and dvd controller is not much when you consider the complexity of the electrical system.

True. But if said vehicle is going to be used as, even partially, an off-road touring machine do you really want the added complexity and electro-mechanical risk out in the middle of BFN? That would be Bum F Nevada :coffeedrink:.

True. But if said vehicle is going to be used as, even partially, an off-road touring machine do you really want the added complexity and electro-mechanical risk out in the middle of BFN? That would be Bum F Nevada :coffeedrink:.
With those problems fixed, why is a different car of the same model going to be any less complex and less of an electro-mechanical risk?

Wouldn't any other UZJ100 be equally as complex and as much risk?

Isn't any other UZJ100 going to possibly have the same issues with the steering column motors, needing the same repair in the future?

I would have gone for it, if that was all that was wrong, and it's been fixed.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer

You mean you would be devestated if a tilt motor and a dvd player malfunctioned in a remote area?:.:coffee:

If you were serious you wouldnt even take a vehicle like that,but you are talking about the back blocks of Nevada:bike_rider:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
With those problems fixed, why is a different car of the same model going to be any less complex and less of an electro-mechanical risk?

Wouldn't any other UZJ100 be equally as complex and as much risk?

Isn't any other UZJ100 going to possibly have the same issues with the steering column motors, needing the same repair in the future?

I would have gone for it, if that was all that was wrong, and it's been fixed.

Earlier years, such as my '99, do not have motorized steering columns/tilt. They don't have nav either which controls the HVAC on later models. Then there's the issue of AHC, etc.

Yeah...anything can be fixed...maybe even anywhere...by the right person...with the right skillset for that particular vehicle...with the right tools.

If its going to spend its life in town/near town it probably doesn't matter much at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven