AEV JK rack is up on Quadratec

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm just hoping they sell the supports separately. I think I would like to use those and put an ARB aluminum rack up there.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
WOW, I just noticed that the top is not full length. That really kills the overall usefullness. I really don't care if it would not allow use of the freedom top. If I need a rack on a JK, I probaby wouldn't want to use the freedom top anyways.

I guess the awesome set up on the overland JK is still the best.

0909_4wd_08_z+jeep_jk_wrangler_unlimited_rubicon+left_side_angle.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I 'm not so sure about the Gobi after seeing a couple at the Bantam Jeep Festival a few weeks back. Of the five that I saw installed three were already succumbing to the NW Pennsylvania weather and the powder coat was flaking off the mounting supports and the rust was very much in evidence. Rust was appearsnt on the supports also.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing the AEV in person. I'm sure it's functional but not for everyone. If I remember correctly AEV Dave has expressed a dislike for roof loads (such as an RTT) so it probably is more so designed for their yaks or lighter gear... And to keep freedom panels functional.

I 'm not so sure about the Gobi after seeing a couple at the Bantam Jeep Festival a few weeks back. Of the five that I saw installed three were already succumbing to the NW Pennsylvania weather and the powder coat was flaking off the mounting supports and the rust was very much in evidence. Rust was appearsnt on the supports also.

Really? I haven't seen this yet on my Gobi or my buddies (both in NJ). Maybe they've been rough on the powder coat?

JFarris

Wanderer
I have spent the last 10 months researching racks and I feel Gobi was my best choice for my application. If it handles the loads that I'm going to put on it and all I have to do is re coat it over time I'll be happy.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Really? I haven't seen this yet on my Gobi or my buddies (both in NJ). Maybe they've been rough on the powder coat?

Not sure, it was just an observation and I was a bit surprised with the excellent reputation that Gobi has. But we're in a heavy snowbelt area with salt and chlorine spray on the roads at least five months of the year. The Gobis weren't any worse off than the Garvin's and Kargo Masters tooling around here abouts, I was jusr surprised a higher end set up like the Gobi wasn't more rust resistant.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I am wondering why the AEV risers are so tall. Looking at the Overland JK, it most only be 1" or less from the hardtop. I'm guessing that is make so people can use the freedom top. Does anyone know what Overland JK used to mount the ARB rack? I thought it was stuff from AEV.

Jorsn

Adventurer
The re-designed Front Runner full length rack looks like a better option. Full length and you can still remove the freedom panels.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I think the big advantage of the AEV rack is that it mounts to the internal roll bar and not just the hard top it self. This makes it a platform to us an RTT and walk on it if desired. Thats a huge deal compared to all the other racks offered.

The re-designed Front Runner full length rack looks like a better option. Full length and you can still remove the freedom panels.

From the pics I have seen it looks like you have to unbolt and remove the rack to take the freedom panels off. Have you heard that the freedom panels are easily removeable with the new Front Runner rack?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk