Air tank to replace spare tire?

BADDANDY

Adventurer
The 1st time you need a spare while offroad will prove how dumb it is to go offroad without a spare.

4bangr

I found an old tank from a 18wheeler. My truck is a '81. I took the bed off, and mounted it right behind the gas tank, running perpendicular to the gas tank. I welded a piece of 1" sqare tubing from frame to frame and then built some mounts on the tank to attach. It works really good, but if I had it to do over I would probably go with a little smaller tank just because I would like to have more space to put some other stuff under the bed. It is very nice to have that volume when I'm filling the '37's though or running an air tool.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

blessrocks

I'm shocked at how many folks didn't get that point.

What a huge space that is to just leave empty. Might as well fill it with something you need.

I have a 3 gallon aluminum air tank to put where my spare used to be... but I am also wanting to put another gas tank there as well. Cant leave any spare room around!

edit: Here is the tank I have.

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Here is my solution...

All,

Following the completion of my Expedition One rear bumper + tire carrier, with I decided to go big with my OBA system. I had a ton of room where the spare was, so I went with two 5 gallon anodized aluminum tanks.

Regards,

BWJ

sytfu510

Urban UAV
To clarify, this is simply for on-board air, not instead of a spare.

I always carry a 36" spare (to match the other tires), but it isn't in the stock location, so that location is empty/available.

lol it's kinda funny how everyone thinks you are NOT carrying a spare. They missed the part " empty space " meaning your spare tire is somewhere else already.

What would be slick is a water/air container shaped exactly like a wheel with a hole through the middle and then you could use the OEM wheel mount under. Crank the whole unit up and be done with it.

Personally I had a Viair 2.5gal mounted in the empty space where my spare used to be, but I ended up removing it and opted for c02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad