Airstream is back with the Base Camp trailer

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Ehh... okay. The original, pretty cool. These, for the money seem to be pretty boy yuppie trailers. Towing behind an Audi...

I'm mean, hey, if you like 'em and have the cash, knock yerself out. I'd rather get a custom built tear drop or horizon or something. Although, being able to stand up and cook out of the weather does have it's perks...
And yeah, I'm with you on the growth of the market, that does always seem to have some good impact as a whole.

Keyne

Adventurer
It's not for me, but I like that they are reintroducing it. The price seems crazy to me though... It doesn't even include solar. For a little more money you can get an awesome Oliver Elite trailer. Can't tow an Oli behind an Audi but you can behind a 4 Runner.

I am excited with the Winnebago 144 based Sprinter 4x4 adventure concept... Basically an affordable Outside Van without the year plus wait. I live in the North East with a full job so long term adventures aren't happening yet but weekends, vacations, etc do happen. If the Winnebago was for sale I would buy one tomorrow.... Literally tomorrow and be out fly fishing With the wife Saturday morning in Vermont. Instead working on a Van Specialties build that could take 14 months... BTW still going fishing but not in the same way... Mainstream manufacturers building these could help most outdoor people enjoy their passions.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Good for them. There are definitely some nice concepts in there.

I don't understand the premium that the new Airstreams are commanding, but good for them. There are so many other brands that are competing in the "race to the bottom" that it's nice to see them continuing to differentiate on something other than price. When you can buy a 22' trailer with a fireplace and 50" TV for under $20k (that is complete and total crap), it's nice to see something different. I hope they do well - Airstream is one of the few brands with enough equity to pull it off.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
That's a lot of money for a small trailer that isn't proper insulated... The design looks great, it's probably also well build, but R value must suck.

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
I remember these from a few years ago; they were discontinued. seems they are trying again with the recent popularity of off road trailers

Bobzdar

Observer
I like the patio and tent addons, looks really cool. Expensive, but half the price of their regular units. If you're going to do hard core off-roading it's probably a bad idea, but for dirt roads, and moderate to long boondocking trips etc. it looks really nice (29 gallon freshwater and 24 gallon waste tanks). Also comes pre-wired for solar with the actual panels optional (same for a/c). Airstreams are very high quality units - or so says my still going strong 1967 unit. Some specs:

Designed for the outdoor enthusiast.. a micro modern living space. Convertible interior space that can store gear, provides sleeping and sitting space.

Has a bathroom, sink, shower, 2-way fridge (LP or elec), 2 burner stove. Microwave optional.

Tall enough to stand up in interior. 3 versions: Red Rock, River Rock and Warm Stone.

Bathroom has passthru shower. Indoor shower is sealed, no curtains. Clothesline. 2+ feet taller and 2feet wider than previous Basecamp. Comes with 2 fans. A/C is optional and can be added at the dealer (replaces one of the fans). Prewired and has dripline already for A/C (which will require a generator, of course).

High quality screen fastens with magnets. Solar guard wraparound windows. Tempered glass. Adjustable blackout curtains. 2 plug and USB port stations. The 2 back windows open.

Boot tray for gear, boots, dog bowl, whatever.

Comes with 1 lead acid battery, but has space to add a second. They can be hooked up parallel. Upgraded to AGM if you order with solar panels.

Tie down hooks on the inside are bolted to the metal frame. Spice rack and lots of other storage cubbies. Locking storage cubbie. Comes with Bluetooth Bose speaker that will fit in the locking cubbie.

Truma (sp?) water and heating system.

Tents are optional. 2 5/16 ball, manual jack.

Propane tank cover is plastic and has storage compartment on top for hoses, etc. Spare tire and stabilizer jacks in rear (2). 2 20-lb propane tanks with switch valve. Fridge vents hidden nicely behind propane tank cover.

Five options:
A/C (Coleman 9200 BTU, low profile, quiet)
Solar panels (2 80-watt Zamp panels. Extra plug in near battery box for third portable panel)
Microwave
Rear Tent
Side Tent

Front window does NOT open. But you get nice cross breeze with front door, rear and side windows and rear door. Width of back door is 25". Width of front door is 22".

18 inch tires... larger than any other Airstream product. Independent wheel suspension.

LED outdoor light, tail lights, brake lights.

Rear door is plastic molded with aluminum face. Has First Aid kit and a snap screen. Skin of the vehicle is .40 Aluminum (like all Airstreams). Same welded windows, riveted super structure.

72 x 72 inch bed. Tents add 20 cubic feet of living space.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It's a shame it's lost the rear clamshell doors and the ramp.

I thought something was different.
The price is probably just a part of the Brand cache more than anything.

Id rather have a Cricket for half the price and the Subaru would tow it.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I like the design. We moved into a T@B back in the spring for our camping, and this seems like an upgraded version of that general concept. Place to stand to dress, place to cook indoors if needed, place to sit in bad weather and spend most of your time outside. While $35k is a lot of money, when you look at what used Airstreams go for it is probably a reasonable investment over time. I would not pull it with a Subaru and not even with my Jeep LJ (3500# rating) but our Tacoma would pull it like it wasn't even there.

If I had the cash I would be in on this one and Ann would be pushing me to do it. Half the battle right there.

OCD Overland

Explorer
For a little more money you can get an awesome Oliver Elite trailer.
I priced out an Elite with solar last year and it came out to $56k - add a few grand more for this year's model. I just talked to the local airstream guy and he said the Basecamp would top out just below $40 with solar. Add to that - Oliver doesn't deal. You pay MSRP or you go elsewhere. Airstreams are usually 20% or more off their list price. So maybe $25k more for an Ollie - not chicken feed.

In most ways, the Oliver will be better - more rugged, better suspension and clearance, bigger tanks, bigger battery and solar, more options, etc., but you pay for it and it's 1,000lbs heavier, too. Still may be the better choice for rough roads, but I wouldn't discount the airstream.

Plus with the Elite, you'll always have that nagging feeling that you should have paid the $5k more and gotten the big trailer.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Things I really like about this trailer -

Lightweight - at 2600lbs, you'll see these behind some outbacks whether it's advisable or not.
Weight forward - 410lb tongue weight, so it will be stable regardless how poorly people load it
Good interior height
Good layout - I especially like the double doors which somehow seem to work without killing the interior space.
Optional extensions - you could set these up and sleep with the doors open, have a place for the kids, dogs, outdoor eating, etc.
Feels nice and open - I've always liked airstream's panoramic windows and I don't know why more manufacturers don't do the same. Makes a huge difference to the way they feel inside.

Things I don't like -

The awning situation is awful - the one they sell with it is tiny and you have to get on a step stool and thread it through a channel to put it up. Real pain, it seems, and the curved roof and sides mean that going aftermarket may be impossible.
Ground clearance is marginal at best
Suspension sucks
Plywood framing and aluminum sheeting possibly won't hold up well - depends on the frame and how well they've engineered everything, but it's a potential risk.
Black water tank - seems so out of place on this trailer. No idea why they didn't do at least a cassette and they should have really done a composting toilet.

Everything else is really price/value. I'd like more solar, bigger water tank, etc. but for what they're advertising it for they seem ok.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven