Airstream is back with the Base Camp trailer

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Things I really like about this trailer -

Lightweight - at 2600lbs, you'll see these behind some outbacks whether it's advisable or not.
Weight forward - 410lb tongue weight, so it will be stable regardless how poorly people load it
Good interior height
Good layout - I especially like the double doors which somehow seem to work without killing the interior space.
Optional extensions - you could set these up and sleep with the doors open, have a place for the kids, dogs, outdoor eating, etc.
Feels nice and open - I've always liked airstream's panoramic windows and I don't know why more manufacturers don't do the same. Makes a huge difference to the way they feel inside.

Things I don't like -

The awning situation is awful - the one they sell with it is tiny and you have to get on a step stool and thread it through a channel to put it up. Real pain, it seems, and the curved roof and sides mean that going aftermarket may be impossible.
Ground clearance is marginal at best
Suspension sucks
Plywood framing and aluminum sheeting possibly won't hold up well - depends on the frame and how well they've engineered everything, but it's a potential risk.
Black water tank - seems so out of place on this trailer. No idea why they didn't do at least a cassette and they should have really done a composting toilet.

Everything else is really price/value. I'd like more solar, bigger water tank, etc. but for what they're advertising it for they seem ok.

410lbs is over twice the 200lb max tongue limit on the Subarus. I have a 2010 OB we tow a 1300lb packed, 900lb empty rig. 410lbs would put the rear suspension on the bump stops sitting in the driveway.
Swap a 5gal propane can up front and maybe your at 320 ish? Anyone know the max tongue rating on the common family taxi, Highlander or Pilot? I cant imagine they are rated higher than 400lbs.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The bed is too tiny for me to even give it a think. It's like the Cricket: for short people.

Dude...did you see that pic of the lavatory? I once laid down in a coffin on Halloween that had more room. Where in the HELL would I put my knees trying to sit on that crapper?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I saw this trailer (prototype of the re-release) back in June while at the Airstream Factory in Jackson Center, Ohio.
When I asked what it was as it drove past being pulled by a tow motor, all I got was a "wink" and "say nothing please".

It is a total improvement over the original as the rear doors were problematic (and that's being nice).

For certain, you are not going to pull this the same places you would a Conqueror or a Kimberly Karavan, but for the bulk majority of people wanting to get off the beaten path, this will be a great platform. What's different about the Airstream over almost every other trailer is that they hold their value extremely well. So well in fact, that on the regular airstreams, most lending institutions will do 20 year extremely low interest notes, while on all other trailers they only go 10 years at a moderate interest rate.

The facts are that most people who sell or trade an airstream do so because they want to upsize to a larger model airstream.

Yes, there are always some quality issues with Airstreams, but compared to SOB's (Some Other Brands), the quality issues are minimal.

As you decide whether this would be a trailer for you versus other trailers, what trucks, etc, ... please take a moment and read what I learned from my self assessment over this past year:

http://expeditionportal.com/a-personal-progression-of-overlanding/

Thanks
Dendy

EMrider

Explorer
I thought something was different.
The price is probably just a part of the Brand cache more than anything.

Id rather have a Cricket for half the price and the Subaru would tow it.

No question I'd prefer a Cricket over this. Still good to see more offerings in this segment of the trailer market.
R

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I saw this trailer (prototype of the re-release) back in June while at the Airstream Factory in Jackson Center, Ohio.
When I asked what it was as it drove past being pulled by a tow motor, all I got was a "wink" and "say nothing please".

It is a total improvement over the original as the rear doors were problematic (and that's being nice).

For certain, you are not going to pull this the same places you would a Conqueror or a Kimberly Karavan, but for the bulk majority of people wanting to get off the beaten path, this will be a great platform. What's different about the Airstream over almost every other trailer is that they hold their value extremely well. So well in fact, that on the regular airstreams, most lending institutions will do 20 year extremely low interest notes, while on all other trailers they only go 10 years at a moderate interest rate.

The facts are that most people who sell or trade an airstream do so because they want to upsize to a larger model airstream.

Yes, there are always some quality issues with Airstreams, but compared to SOB's (Some Other Brands), the quality issues are minimal.

As you decide whether this would be a trailer for you versus other trailers, what trucks, etc, ... please take a moment and read what I learned from my self assessment over this past year:

http://expeditionportal.com/a-personal-progression-of-overlanding/

Thanks
Dendy

Dendy I so appreciate the article you wrote. As much as I would like ot be that guy who gets lost somewhere across baja or the Australian outback, reality rears it's ugly head. We have moved from tent camping to a pop up and now are in a T@B. Both Ann and I are sure there is an Airstream somewhere, sometime in our future. This new 16 footer might make that happen sooner rather than later... who knows. Anyway, great article and an honest look at how we really spend our time, rather than what we might dream of. Well done, sir.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Dendy I so appreciate the article you wrote. As much as I would like ot be that guy who gets lost somewhere across baja or the Australian outback, reality rears it's ugly head. We have moved from tent camping to a pop up and now are in a T@B. Both Ann and I are sure there is an Airstream somewhere, sometime in our future. This new 16 footer might make that happen sooner rather than later... who knows. Anyway, great article and an honest look at how we really spend our time, rather than what we might dream of. Well done, sir.

Thank you sir!!

Dendy

TwinStick

Explorer
Yup, good read for sure.

Not ever owning an Airstream anything, I can not comment on the ownership of one. What I can say about Airstream is: they are the benchmark that seems to always be referred to. Which is a good thing to be sure. I wish we could afford one, but we can't. We did recently look at a used one, a triple axle one & it was $60,000..........yup, used.

Anyways, i suppose because ours is NOT an Airstream, is the reason I have had to do so many things to a brand new camper, starting the very day we brought it home. Don't get me wrong, I love our camper, but i have had to do a LOT of stuff to it. Relocate gas regulator because it was touching the top of the battery box & you could not open it as a result. Make new plywood cushion supports, to replace the veneer ones that cracked as soon as my B-I-L sat down on them. Add vertical & horizontal supports to support the new plywood. Add plywood to bed platform. Add extra gas struts to bed platform to help lift the added weight of the new plywood. New radio under warranty. New outside stove vent cover under warranty. Still waiting on a new front window-under recall warranty. Also had to add protective wire sleeves over brake wires that were rubbing on leaf springs. Also over gas hose where it was rubbing frame.

Sad that you have to do all these things to a brand spanking new camper. And, sadly, this is the norm, even with much more expensive ones. I have talked to many people, even with $110,000 toyhaulers & they have many of the same issues. Ours has been in 2x already to replace the front window & both times, they sent the wrong size window. So, pretty much, it has been at the dealer all summer. It is still not fixed. I don't blame anyone for making their own. From what I have read over the years, Airstream owners are happy with them & love their campers, many with zero issues. I think if Airstream came out with the Bambi (16"-19'), single axle, with a lift kit & 15" tires, they would not be able to keep them on the lots. We still could not afford one, but many could.

jsdierks

Considering it is basically the back end of an $80k+ Sportsmobile, the price really does not seem that out of line.

daveh

Adventurer
We took a look at this today. It is a bit smaller than we would need, but this like all of the larger airstreams has a real feeling of quality and craftsmanship. A little rolling work of art.
94285174beb9cb2165a8e84bed899f5f.jpg
9b278ad67fac4a595e73f1f8a7de243c.jpg
7dac3da2a920af34a054f3bddd442c6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven