All purpose everything trailer build

80DDYota

So after some time I have been wanting to build me a trailer for myself from scratch. I have built some before so this isn't my first time but, it is the first time building one from scratch. The others that I have done were from old rusty trailers that came from someone else. Here are some finished examples......

This one was mine, I had to sell it :(
IMG00027-20090908-1224.jpg

IMG00028-20090908-1225.jpg

This I rebuilt for a friend. It was just rusty metal and rotted out plywood.
IMG00022-20090903-1043.jpg

He wanted the tailgate to be used as a ramp.
IMG00023-20090903-1044.jpg

IMG00024-20090903-1044.jpg

Last edited:

80DDYota

Here is were Im at so far. Oh one thing that I did use that isn't new is the axle. This trailer was actually a Starcraft tent trailer. The only thing that remains from the Starcraft is the axle and some channel steel for the rear frame of the trailer that I will use to mount the tail lights.

Here it is. ( the start of the build pics were lost)
Photo012.jpg

Photo013.jpg

Photo014.jpg

Photo015.jpg

Photo016.jpg

Last edited:

80DDYota

I have always thought that I was a little different when I was cruz'n around with a trailer that had 33" tires. I thought it was a good set up because of wheel'n and camping. Made since to me? Then I found this site, you guys are worst than I am. :)lololol

The main frame is 2x2 square tubing, the main tongue is 2x2 square 1/4 wall.
Photo002.jpg

The hitch tounge will give a choice of hitches. For now I have put on a pintle eye. The multi axis will have to wait.

I wanted the fenders to fit like a glove, not be an after thought.
Photo005.jpg

Photo004.jpg

Photo003.jpg

I had to make the spring mounts from scratch too. These were out of scrap steel I had laying around. Saved a few bucks too!! :). The leaf spring that I'm using are from my 1980 Toyota 4x4, thay are the rear springs. I just lifted the Toy and the springs were taking up space.
Photo007.jpg

Photo006.jpg

Now that the main frame is done, I have to figure out how I want the side to be. I wanted it to carry 4x8 plywood and later be used for camping, or what ever I need from it. Maybe set it up to sleep in, carry bikes, or just gear???

Last edited:

INSAYN

Adventurer
Great looking trailer you have going there.
What paint did you use, looks rugged enough for me?

I build a lot of stuff from metal, but hardly ever get around to putting paint on anything. Need to find a "goto" black paint that doesn't chip off easy.

80DDYota

I have had really good luck with engine enamel. Because of the type of paint it can handle all the engine goo and heat, if it can handle all that, why not everything else. I gave up on the water all purpose paint. It fades in the sun within a years time. The engine paint holds up to sun and I haven't seen it fade yet. For a good rugged paint, I use Dupli Color spray on bed liner (rubberized), Krylon had their's too, it sprays on thick and dries hard, chips if hit by something but, is good for interior stuff.
All the metal work is the hard part, once the paint is applied, all the hard work pays off.

Last edited:

INSAYN

Adventurer
I hear ya with the metal work being done, and being the hard part. However, I love that part, and hate the painting part. I built my trailer last year and still haven't painted it. I need to put something on it this year as it has a nice layer of surface rust now. Kinda thinking of doing a non standard camo jobber on it.

I'm thinking a light grey for the base coat, and then using fern palms as my stencils, I'll hit it with various shades of darker grey all the way to black. This should be easy to touch up and hide stupid unsightly rock chips.

Token

Explorer
Guess that's just stained plywood you used on the sides..? Looks nice.. Been considering woods sides to finish my trailer out, but not sure a wood finish really fits the overall feel of my trailer..

80DDYota

Yeah I used deck stain for the plywood sides and deck. It does look good. When I did that I just grabed what I had in the garage, it turned out nice. The other thing that was cool about it, during the rain the water beeded off.
You see, that is what Im stuck on now. The one thing that I didn't like about the plywood, for the bottom was that when I was shoveling gravel out the back I snagged some of the wood and took a nice chunk out. The sides were great. I think this time I'm gunna use that plastic wood for the deck. Well see.
I'm mixed with how I want to do the side of the trailer: Boxed 1x2, flat stock, angle iron, wood, metal. Its funny when you want to make your own stuff, you can't decide on what you want. When you do work for others it comes out great.
I want to be able to change this if I have too. If the whole thing is sheet metal, alot of work would need to be done to make changes.
As for right now I have to get one more fender, and work on the lights, LEDS.........Need to finish some side work to play.

JPK

Explorer
Will "bed liner" or "textured paint" stick and or hold up on plywood??

If you look at Adventure Trailer's site I think you will find that they use bedliner on their in bed drawer system. Might be worth taking a look.

JPK

80DDYota

I used the roll on bed liner for both trailers. You can see on the "ramp" trailer, the bed inside is black. That is the roll on stuff. The first time I put it on it was for my first trailer, it came off because the plywood was drying out. For the second trailer I applied the deck stain first, then the bed liner. This one was for a friend of mine, I haven't seen how long it lasted since I built it for him. I'll try remember to ask him to see how it held up.

mgeiger

Observer
Nice start. I'm mulling the idea of rebuilding a pop-up for mild (forest service roads) or building out a surplus 101-A2/A3 for multi-use. Either way, I wish I were blessed with your welding skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater