All Purpose YJ Build...

nano151

Observer
Got a deal on some used Corbeau reclining seats, mounts/sliders and Mastercraft harnesses. Also found a new bench for the kids. Just need to recover the front seats in gray and add the harness bar...

Isabelsbday023.jpg

Isabelsbday022.jpg

Isabelsbday032.jpg

New winshield added. Advise to anyone in the market for a windhield; check with the local mom-n-pop windshiled place before buying from the web. I paid almost $200 for the glass and seals plus another $80 to install only to find out that the guy would have done it all with parts for $140...

Isabelsbday037.jpg

nano151

Observer
Picked up soem Genright Comp-Cut corners. Still have to get the matching sliders when money allows...

Isabelsbday041.jpg

jeep019.jpg

After a wuick coat of bedliner spray...

jeep020.jpg

jeep023.jpg

Also started to test colors and the wife actually likes Olive Drab alot... who am i to argue with that...

jeep021.jpg

nano151

Observer
Also got the Balistic Fab 1ton DOM steering kit. Just need to ream out the steering arm when i find an affordable bit...

Isabelsbday040.jpg

Isabelsbday002.jpg

nano151

Observer
Well thats the brief summary for now. This week i've also cut the other rear corner and painted the rear armor. I also order a 12 can box Gillespie enamal paint (spray cans) in the WWII green. Got the tailgate all cleaned and painted and i'll start painting the whole tub this weekend.

I'll get a better pic of the color this weekend...

c292196d.jpg

nano151

Observer
Got the grill sanded and painted. This is going to be a combination of bedliner spray for the front and rear fender armor and the grill. The hood, tub and tailgate will be painted olive drab this weekend. I also have to pickup some roll-on bedliner for the interior.

0f4153e3.jpg

nano151

Observer
Started to paint the tub from the back to the front. Not too worried about getting it perfect since most of it will be covered and it's real easy to touch up. The paint goes on real good for a rattle can. Also got the two comp-corner completely painted. Hope to have them installed tomorrow and most ,if not all, of the body painted.

I also took the top of and i wanted to see how it looks with one of the bikini tops and windjammer. I actually have two full tops in gray, a bikini and jammer in gray and another combo in black. If the gray doesn't look right, i'll just trade all the gray stuff for black.

5be87f85.jpg

d23c79ce.jpg

dead8e2f.jpg

Last edited:

nano151

Observer
Sooo got some more painting done and finished mounting the comp corners. Still have to paint the hood and windshield and re-fit the front fenders. Also installed new window hinges, plates and morrors.

15e47f1c.jpg

02d6bdfe.jpg

Also took pics to show the approach and departure angles. Not too bad but i would have like more...

f06ecc8f.jpg

5f0c1a0a.jpg

nano151

Observer
Is your rear spring pack a stock XJ leaf pack or a mix-n-match of XJ and YJ?

Right now it's just a stock XJ pack. It actually had an add-a-leaf in there that i removed cuz i want to keep the jeep as low as possible. Even at this hight with the 38's, i find it a little too tall.

Once all the weight and some driving settles the springs down i plan to replace them either with a set of HD XJ springs from Crowne or a set of custom Alcans (mucho money). The Alcans would be alot more money but they would be "tuned" for this jeep and with the military wrap. It'll all depend on the money situation at the time.

nano151

Observer
I forgot to mention that i'm running DIY4X spring hangers for the rear XJs. These will allow me to adjust the shackle angle or run different springs. I chose the mounting spot so that, if needed, i could even run stock YJs back in the original possition. Don't know why i'd ever do that, but it's an option.

0_04.jpg

bldeagle10

Explorer
coming along great, i see alot of potential!, have you thought about a shorter wheel base? shortening the axles up a bit. i know alot of it is the tires and if you run smallers it will be a bit better but they just seem to stick out way to far for my taste. im a big fan of jeep wheel/track length.

regardless, im jealous. i love the simplicity of wranglers. i may have to get an old CJ-5 or 7 one day...

and as far as your welds. you did good. first weld i ever did was perfect, then they got all boogery, but welds can always be fixed and purtied up!

bob91yj

Resident **************
Nice build. I like the clever use of the boomerang shackles. I run a set up side down on the front of my YJ to prevent inverting the spring (center bolt hits the spring before it will invert.

I'd consider rethinking you shoulder belt mounts. I'd have to do some more research to find the issue with your mount, deals with spine compression. Here is what Simpson reccommends.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/safety-restraints-seating-positions/

nano151

Observer
...have you thought about a shorter wheel base? shortening the axles up a bit...

As far as wheel base length, i'm happy with this setup. With the Chevy driveline installed it still allows me to run a fairly long (by jeep standards) rear driveshaft. I plan to install an SYE on the np208 with a CV rear shaft to impove the angle some more.

Now as far as wheelbase width, i would love to narrow the axles but it's just not in the cards right now. I also don't want to put any money into 1/2 ton axles. I do plan to one day switch to a d60 / 14bolt combo and when i do the plan is to have them narrowed a bit. I also want to eventually get a set of 37x13ish tires with a deeper offset rim to bring the tires in some more.

Also forgot to mention that i plan to eventually add 3" tube flares on all four corners which should help to cover a small portion of the tread until i can get narrowed 1tons.

...I'd consider rethinking you shoulder belt mounts. I'd have to do some more research to find the issue with your mount, deals with spine compression...

I should have mentioned earlier that the previous owner was running them to the floor. I'll be adding a removable harness bar behind the seats. I do have to say that even with the harnesses running to the floor, the driver survived a nasty rollover on the street thank to these seats and harness. He had to have major facial surgery because the rollbar failed but he lived...

gallery_1162_273_136479.jpg

maddmaxjack67

Glad he's okay, looks light fate was on his side during the rollover.

As for the springs, I've never really looked into it, buy why do people choose to run XJ springs in YJs? Is it only in the rear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad