Alligator response while in a kayak?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
My first reaction is to say you need to contact your local game and fish or DNR folks so that it can be trapped since alligators do not range any further west then south east Texas.

I'm well East of Texas at this time :)

And good info on the gators :)

XJINTX

Explorer
I have always figured that if in the open they are just heading to deep water when spotted. Never really worried... but always watchful.

Although I can't wait to get Down Under I think I may rethink any paddling :)

I may also be a bit more watchful when near gators here in good ole USA too!

Layonnn

Adventurer
Strangely enough, two nights ago on tv there was a special about that string of attack/deaths by gators in florida.

After an autopsy, two of the women had been on drugs and most likely passed out right near the waters edge of very popular alligator spots.
The other death was a woman snorkeling. No drugs.

In all honesty, if you are on land with an alligator, you are highly unlikely to be attacked. They are ambush predators and it's obviously not an ambush if they know you can see them. Younger (4ft) gators are a little different and more wiley, they could chase ya. That's when good ole alligator wrastlin skills i learned as a boy in Louisiana come into play. For you city folk, go for the eyes!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
First, let me correct that I very much underestimated the size of the gator we saw, I would now put that estimate at the 12-14 footer, it was much bigger than this guy:

DSC00631.JPG

A good shot of where my pending gator attack could have been (j/k) :)
DSC00418.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3