Alternative to a High Lift jack?

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
Hi Lift jacks have their place. Add a couple chains, slings, and shackles/bolts=a field expedient winch.I have used a few times to extricate my CJ2A from distress back when I was in high school.

lugueto

Adventurer
Hi Lift jacks have their place.

Very, very true. There has been a couple of times, when all else has failed, the Hilift has been the one who pulled us out of some pretty bad bogs. They're a recovery tool, not just a jack.

FWIW, even though I have armor, I've NEVER lifted my truck from the bumpers or sliders. I always lift from the wheel using the Hilift attachment, this helps in stability as you dont need to lift the jack as high to lift the wheel to where you want it. I also always use a large piece of wood where it stands for more stability.

When I need to change a tire, I use the HL to lift the amount needed and then place the bottle jack already extended under the axle.

Hilifts are WAY TOO DANGEROUS to use on their own, I wouldnt dare remove a wheel with only the HL holding the car up, let alone get under it. Even on the instructions of the jack it specifically says not to use it to change tires, to use a bottle jack or similar for such situations.

I've seen inflatable jacks being used, they're pretty cool. Although Im hesitant to use them because I think the pressure caused by the weight of the vehicle when inflating/lifting on the engine cant be good. Im also pretty happy with my Hilift, but seeing them perform, I say give them a shot if you want an alternative for lifting the truck on off road situations.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Maybe you just need a good Hi-Lift stabilizer. Just a thought..

8275194133_755ce900f9.jpg

safe_jack_.jpg

pluton

Adventurer
I've been carrying a Sears aluminum "3 ton" floor jack. 43 pounds so you can pick it up and carry it with one hand.
Unfortunately, it doesn't pack well in the small 4Runner due to it's irregular shape, and tendency to start leaking if it's packed in any orientation except right side up.
I also carry 4 or 5 pieces of 3/4 plywood(1x1 foot size) predrilled to attach the stock Toyota jack, or use under the floor jack.
Using an air compressor with the X-jack is smart.

uscg2008

Explorer
Ya I'm def going to be picking one up soon. But I'm going to get a bigger bottle jack, so I can use it on other people rigs too if I had to.

Rogue

Zombie Response Team Lead
Dredging this thread up from the dead. Wondering if there have been any new products released since. I hate my Hi-Lift. It's super sketchy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater