Alternatives to building a sleeping platform?

ywen

Explorer
As I start to plan for my sleeping platform, I came across this picture..

Two cots - Why can't this work? Pack tight the rubbermaid containers at the bottom so they don't slide.. Other than not having a seamless surface for two people, are there other disadvantages that I haven't thought of yet?

2580468006_0134b496df_b.jpg

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
This is what I'd love to do in my truck to keep the weight down and have versatility, but the problem I run into is nowhere to mount the fridge.

Tim A

Adventurer
Interesting, I love my sleeping platform (because it IS funkadelic) but the cots would definitely work and of course much lighter and easier to remove. I say go for it and if you don't like it, sell the cots and forge ahead with the platform. :smiley_drive:

Ryber

I like it.. was just about to build a platform, think i might go this route instead.. Nice and simple

ywen

Explorer
I've never slept on a cot before.. is it comfortable? At least with a plywood platform, I know what to expect with my sleeping pad / bag.

Is the cot hammock-like, in that the bed surface goes concave with your weight?

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
one of the biggest advantages i have found with mine (center slide out drawer) is that everything under the platform is pretty secure. if you fasten the platform down to the bed its a great very safe storage area for bulky heavy things that could be deadly when in an accident (ammo can of chains, spare alternator, cv axles, Aux. batteries, tools, hilift, pullpal etc.)

and its great when you clean out all the upper level stuff and it looks empty to a casual passer by when in reality there is hundreds of $ of crap stuffed inside.

+ i have a 3" memory foam mattress that rolls and stores into a rubbermaid bin, its like sleeping on a real bed.

i would not really recommend building a platform if you dont have flip up side windows. it works but its just a huge hassle getting into the compartments/ stuff underneath.

i used to have a cab high snugtop and really hated it after i built the platform. after a few years of that i finally switched to a extended height (about +6") with flip up side windows and its a whole new truck. so convenient and so much better in every way compared to my last shell.

Last edited:
One downside that I can think of is that with the cots there is more uninsulated space under the bed, thus making for a colder nights sleep when the temperatures dip below freezing With the platform there is the thickness of the wood and the cushioning that allows for increased insulation from the elements. Either has it's advantages as well, with the cot you can fold them up and throw an elk underneath and the cots on top for the trip home.

Kevin

nbleak21

Adventurer
I've slept many a nights on cots... Ironically I've found the fabric army cots provide me a much better night's sleep then a spring suspension cot like those pictured. The army cots also carry a smaller footprint when packed up, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333