Alu-Cab canopy camper mattress replacement

mav204

Observer
looking to replace the mattress, other than keeping the "stock" mattress and having a mattress topper, any good easy and inexpensive mattress that you can replace in the factory cover? Hest has a good alternative but expensive.
Right now I have a mattress topper, but it sides around, just seeing what my options are.

MR E30

In all of my research I haven't come across a mattress that will fit inside of the cover for the OEM mattress in an ACCC.

Most all go with either the Hest or the Exped Megamat Duo L+W (what I run personally, hundreds and hundreds (maybe 1,000+) of nights) in their campers.

Either way, good luck on your search and let us know if you find something new.

Ozarker

looking to replace the mattress, other than keeping the "stock" mattress and having a mattress topper, any good easy and inexpensive mattress that you can replace in the factory cover? Hest has a good alternative but expensive.
Right now I have a mattress topper, but it sides around, just seeing what my options are.

Why not post the dimensions you need, as well as the height.

Seems we have mattresses that fit the beds at home and camper manufactures having smaller sizes but misleading the buyer calling them by their common names, like "king"
"queen" etc.

I just posted my quest for a "queen" in my mad ramblings thread, Amazon has a bunch to choose from, some are pretty cheap.

Sounds like your rig has an odd ball sized bed for the sake of gouging owners later on as they find the OEM mattress is crappy or as it wears out.

A mattress isn't hard to make, several layers of foam, different kinds, glue and sew a cover on it if you must.

mav204

Observer
In all of my research I haven't come across a mattress that will fit inside of the cover for the OEM mattress in an ACCC.

Most all go with either the Hest or the Exped Megamat Duo L+W (what I run personally, hundreds and hundreds (maybe 1,000+) of nights) in their campers.

Either way, good luck on your search and let us know if you find something new.
thanks, no rush but next time you have the camper open can you take a few pictures?

fourfa

Observer
In my previous vehicle I just used custom-cut foam pieces (from a local shop until they closed, then Foam Factory online), like 2-3" of high density base, 2-3" of lower density for comfort. One elastic bottom sheet over the bottom, elastic mattress topper over the top, another elastic bottom sheet over the top. All the fabrics are then easy to remove and wash. And it's trivial to get the dimensions exactly right this way. Since home mattresses these days are all like 10+" tall, our 4-6" camping setups don't require very precise cut fit on the sheets.

I don't really understand the need for a zipped fitted cover at all. Though TBF I haven't bothered to get rid of mine in my ACCC, just added a soft 2" topper and wrap both in a fitted bottom sheet.

jgrillz94

I’m not sure exactly which size but I know a lot of people are running a hest mattress up there. I just put a cheap memory foam topper off Amazon on top of the factory mattress and it’s very comfortable

gnel

I’m not sure exactly which size but I know a lot of people are running a hest mattress up there. I just put a cheap memory foam topper off Amazon on top of the factory mattress and it’s very comfortable
Hey can you still close the top with the memory foam and sheets and blankets on the bed? What size memory foam did you buy?
Thanks !

fourfa

Observer
I have my big dogs upstairs often, due to claws I'm never going to touch an inflatable mattress in the ACCC. I haven't tried a Hest, I'm sure it's quite comfortable. Having spent too many rough nights backpacking with hard-to-fix holes in ultralight inflatable pads, not interested in more. YMMV.

I will caution in the strongest possible terms, never to use memory foam in any situation that might see real cold. Memory foam freezes and turns to concrete below freezing temps, and it will absolutely suck out your will to live. Getting in at first is awful, then over time you kind of melt a hole into it and sink in. Until you want to roll over, and it's a wall of ice cold concrete all around you, and the hole is shaped wrong.... I'm sure there are ways to mitigate this with diesel heat (or just avoid winter entirely lol), in which case one might never find this out the hard way

My Alu-Cab, if you close the top and slide a ruler up to measure from the base of the bed platform to the padded roof interior, I measure 7". Stock mattress is 3" and not IMHO comfortable. Do note, that 7" headroom doesn't account for things you might leave in the pockets, or the LED light which will compress a spot in thick bedding.

We use the stock 3" mattress, an extra 1" foam on top of that, fitted sheet, top sheet, and usually leave two down sleeping bags spread out upstairs. Plenty of headroom still with that much bedding, and it closes with little compression. Pillows don't fit, they get moved downstairs.

My Alu-Cab mattress measures out 81" x 48" x 3". The bed platform itself measures 82" x 52".

Last edited:

jgrillz94

Hey can you still close the top with the memory foam and sheets and blankets on the bed? What size memory foam did you buy?
Thanks !
Hey yeah closes no problem with sheets and blankets. A little tight with pillows but I just put them on the small hatch and it evens out. Not happening with a 0° bag but haven’t needed that since I got the Dickinson heater.

Topper link

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
Not sure what the size is, and I know you wanted inexpensive, but OMG the Exped Megamats are WONDERFUL. I went through lots of different pads, etc in my van and camper before I finally got one and I am so sorry I waited so long. I like it so much I take it out and use it at home. Worked wonders for my back. They have several different sizes, and of course one can pair them. I air mine do so I can store clothes and bedding on it and still get the top down on my FWC. I hear REI's version is pretty good too, and less expensive.

mav204

Observer
I went to a local

UPHOLSTERY shop and they were able to get some foam and custom cut it to fit​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl