Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
What is the preferred method to mount the Shadow Awn to a fiberglass truck cap?

I have a 2016 GMC Canyon short bed truck with an ARE fiberglass cap. I want to mount a Shadow Awn and have capacity for a future RTT. My plans are to mount tracks on the roof with an inside structure to support the additional weight. Is there a recommended rack or cargo bars? I would like to do this right the first time.

Thanks.
To add to what Rin has said and links given, when you go to mount your Shadow Awn, consider height seriously. It's been mentioned in this thread in several places, in case you missed it (loooong thread...lol), but you don't want to have to duck or slouch when you're under it. Also, if you can't reach it when you go to deploy it, you'll need to remember to bring a stool or other lift to assist in both deploying and putting it away. There's a sweet spot for mounting height and it varies with owner, his family, & friends heights. Consider these factors when purchasing the rack, rails, tray or other brackets to mount your awn to your rig. Looks like you have a full size pickup that your truck cap is on, so mounting it too low should not be an issue.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
To add to what Rin has said and links given, when you go to mount your Shadow Awn, consider height seriously. It's been mentioned in this thread in several places, in case you missed it (loooong thread...lol), but you don't want to have to duck or slouch when you're under it. Also, if you can't reach it when you go to deploy it, you'll need to remember to bring a stool or other lift to assist in both deploying and putting it away. There's a sweet spot for mounting height and it varies with owner, his family, & friends heights. Consider these factors when purchasing the rack, rails, tray or other brackets to mount your awn to your rig. Looks like you have a full size pickup that your truck cap is on, so mounting it too low should not be an issue.

Great point! The Alu-Cab load bar kit comes with 30mm feet, plus the 20mm thick FR rails so the bottom of your awning poles while deployed will be roughly 2” above your canopy roof height.

danneskjold

Also consider height when you are aired down - I found that out the other day.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Something like this inside wall for Alu-Cab wall kit?!

Ok, Alu-Cab, if you're listening...

Foxwing Wall Kit

At approxmently the 2 minute mark you can see exactly what I want to say. The inside wall is up and he's proceeding to put up the outside wall. On the inside wall are doors that can be opened and access is permitted when needed to the vehicle's tailgate and side door. They can be sealed up to keep out insects and weather. This is the exact idea that I had imagined would work well for the Alu-Cab. It's not rocket science, it's simple and would make it complete - a real wall kit! The wall kit in this video attaches the same as the Alu-Cab - with velcro (Except that the 1st part of the inside wall slides into a channel - the rest is velcro.) - only it's one big piece instead of in sections like the Alu-Cab. I think that part is superior - much easier to deploy. I can imagine how difficult it would be to set up and attach the 1 piece in the wind, though! This inside wall is what would make the screens on the windows and doors functional usefully, instead of just making the walls structurally sound.

Last edited:

rino

Ok, Alu-Cab, if you're listening...

Foxwing Wall Kit

At approxmently the 2 minute mark you can see exactly what I want to say. The inside wall is up and he's proceeding to put up the outside wall. On the inside wall are doors that can be opened and access is permitted when needed to the vehicle's tailgate and side door. They can be sealed up to keep out insects and weather. This is the exact idea that I had imagined would work well for the Alu-Cab. It's not rocket science, it's simple and would make it complete - a real wall kit! The wall kit in this video attaches the same as the Alu-Cab - with velcro (Except that the 1st part of the inside wall slides into a channel - the rest is velcro.) - only it's one big piece instead of in sections like the Alu-Cab. I think that part is superior - much easier to deploy. I can imagine how difficult it would be to set up and attach the 1 piece in the wind, though! This inside wall is what would make the screens on the windows and doors functional usefully, instead of just making the walls structurally sound.

I’ll pass this on, personally the wall kit works for storms and waiting out the rain. But maybe we can offer a “big room” one day.

Hey Rin, when will the rain gutter be available in the US?

I have a few in stock, a bit tricky if you are not mounting to a tent or rack. Here is a link to the install https://www.alu-cab.co.za/images/fitment/Awning-Gutter-Fitment-Instructions.pdf

aaen

Adventurer
Can you mount the shadow awning on the bottom of the load bars on top of an ALUcab canopy? I'm thinking, why don't I just shift the load bars a bit to the passenger side, then use a bracket/mount and mount the awning to the bottom of the load bars. This would accomplish two things, reduces overall height and keeps the awning in easy reach, and keeps everything tucked in nice and tight to the canopy, less things to catch bracnhes and tree's on. I'd have to tie off the windoor on the canopy so it doesn't contact the awning when open, but that is not a big deal, piece of string and voila.

This doable?

Steve

Can you mount the shadow awning on the bottom of the load bars on top of an ALUcab canopy? I'm thinking, why don't I just shift the load bars a bit to the passenger side, then use a bracket/mount and mount the awning to the bottom of the load bars. This would accomplish two things, reduces overall height and keeps the awning in easy reach, and keeps everything tucked in nice and tight to the canopy, less things to catch bracnhes and tree's on. I'd have to tie off the windoor on the canopy so it doesn't contact the awning when open, but that is not a big deal, piece of string and voila.

This doable?

Steve

Assuming you are talking about attaching to the load bars on the top of the roof of the tent.... The awning would move when you open the tent. The awning is much longer than the tent, so the front may dip down.
I doubt that the roof rack mounting points are strong enough for that. The pivot point of the awning needs to be extremely well supported. All the cantilevered stress is on that one point.
Even if you are talking about the lower tent bars, I would not do it considering the strength needed at the pivot.

roverpat

Observer
I want to chime in on this topic. I am a Mobile Service Technician for Tesla. We have Ford Transit connect vans for mobile service(dont ask why its not a Tesla). We have alu-cab awnings on them. I can attest to not only the quality, ease of opening and closing but also for Rin and his prompt assistance when I found one of the kits was missing hardware. The product and the people are awesome and when I can save up enough coin I will be going with alu-cab for my foxwing.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I think that a bug-proof sub-room would be fine. i.e. I would be very happy with 270º rain and sun coverage, but only a small area that is bug proof.

I will second this. About to pull the trigger on the Shadow-awning, but the lack of a fourth wall on the wall tent has given me pause. I'm toying with the idea of buying the wall kit and paying someone local to rework it. Ideally (IMO), a four-wall room on the side of the vehicle would be perfect and would leave the back open (with just the awning overhead to cover the kitchen). Anyone else think that's a good idea?

This would allow a bug-proof sleeping/privacy area, and coverage in the rear that will not interfere with my swing-out, giant rear tire, tire rack, or kitchen.

caljah

This is a great conversation. Thanks everyone. I was at OK4W last Friday, and ordered the Alu-cab tent. ( I assure you, I went back and forth between these and the James Baroud) The folks in the store where great ( thanks Ryan) and I am excited. I am about to call and add the Shadow awing and walls, but I am trying to figure out an issue. This is a matter of great importance to my marriage.

I am willing to have something fabricated, (if someone could point me in the right direction), that would allow direct covered access from the RTT into an "annex" of some kind, for rainy days and midnight callings, that I can the connect into the Shadow Awning . Yes i know about the Baroud tunnel, but I preferred the Alu-Cab tents and the shadow awning. I can't be the only person thinking this is possible.
I thank you for your suggestions.

aaen

Adventurer
fair enough, but they have to be able to attach to other companies products. You see it on other vehilcles.

Anyways, I’m on the verge of purchasing an alucab gen 3 to replace my JB rtt and debating getting the awning with it. I have a few issues with the design if the tent though.

1. Fabric folding down
2. Horrible ladder design, never understood why i need to out the dirty ladder into the tent and also shoukd be telescoping or similar to the JB ladder.
3. Mattress, although I can buy a topper if need be. Not sure why for the price if all these tents a but extra cannot be spent on mattress quality.

What have others done about these? Or are they a none issue? I should have went with the Alucab from the start, it is what I originally wanted. But the above issues pushed me to the JB. Now that i no longer have the JB I’m back to the drawing board.

Appreciate any feedback or pointing me in the right direction. So far it hasn’t popped up in my search. I see people switch out ladders, but the fabric for me is the big one.

Steve

fair enough, but they have to be able to attach to other companies products. You see it on other vehilcles.

Anyways, I'm on the verge of purchasing an alucab gen 3 to replace my JB rtt and debating getting the awning with it. I have a few issues with the design if the tent though.

1. Fabric folding down
2. Horrible ladder design, never understood why i need to out the dirty ladder into the tent and also shoukd be telescoping or similar to the JB ladder.
3. Mattress, although I can buy a topper if need be. Not sure why for the price if all these tents a but extra cannot be spent on mattress quality.

What have others done about these? Or are they a none issue? I should have went with the Alucab from the start, it is what I originally wanted. But the above issues pushed me to the JB. Now that i no longer have the JB I'm back to the drawing board.

Appreciate any feedback or pointing me in the right direction. So far it hasn't popped up in my search. I see people switch out ladders, but the fabric for me is the big one.

Steve

There are advantages to the shadow awning, I love the 270 degree fold out, but those advantages come with certain requirements, like a very strong mount for the pivot end. Kind of like 40" tires need bigger axles.....

Yea, you have to fold the fabric walls when closing the tent to make sure they dont get caught in the gas struts, or in the area where the seal contacts. Some tents have a bungee from wall to wall for this, but honestly hooking that up would be more work then just tucking the fabric with your hands. Takes about an extra 5 seconds per side.

Ladder works awesome for me. I leave it in the bed of the truck.

I put a topper from Target on my original mattress. There is only so much space in there. Between the thick sleeping bag, pillows, and topper thats about all i can fit and sitll get the lid closed without sitting on it. I would love a 12" foam mattress like I put in my toyhauler, but i think that the tent would look a little silly if it was 18" tall. Plus it wouldnt be "camping" anymore. That said, any RTT is ~100x nicer than sleeping on the ground.

rino

This doable?

Steve

Yes, you can mount the Shadow Awn to the Alu-Cab load bars and the load bars to your canopy with either the supplied 40mm legs or optional low profile mounts that allow the bars to be directly mounted to the canopy.

If you are running the expedition III tent, the awning will sit in the exact spot from the load bars as if you were using the load bar awning mounts. Hope this helps and LMK if you have any questions!

I want to chime in on this topic. I am a Mobile Service Technician for Tesla. We have Ford Transit connect vans for mobile service(dont ask why its not a Tesla). We have alu-cab awnings on them. I can attest to not only the quality, ease of opening and closing but also for Rin and his prompt assistance when I found one of the kits was missing hardware. The product and the people are awesome and when I can save up enough coin I will be going with alu-cab for my foxwing.

Thank you man for the kind words man! :) When you are ready for an awn let me know and dying to pass a Shadow Awn fitted van on the road. haha

I will second this. About to pull the trigger on the Shadow-awning, but the lack of a fourth wall on the wall tent has given me pause. I'm toying with the idea of buying the wall kit and paying someone local to rework it. Ideally (IMO), a four-wall room on the side of the vehicle would be perfect and would leave the back open (with just the awning overhead to cover the kitchen). Anyone else think that's a good idea?

This would allow a bug-proof sleeping/privacy area, and coverage in the rear that will not interfere with my swing-out, giant rear tire, tire rack, or kitchen.

Luckily it has four walls... :) But all jokes aside I completely see what you are looking for and it would be sweet. Our struggle is the amount of vehicle configurations is endless and all would be different for openings in the screens for accessing the vehicles trunk area. For example, my JKU with a camp kitchen in the back would require an opening that seals against the body, top, rack and spare tire carrier to keep bugs out but be useful.

I hope you can see our struggle, but if you do go ahead building one please share pics and a place for folks to have one custom built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77