Aluminum Skids from Bud Built!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
So the rumor is true!

Bud Built is making skids for the 05+ Tacoma in Aluminum!

Here is the email from Bud.

Ok finally poured thru all the numbers. Alum is so much more expensive but
with some quantity, we can get a better rate.
So, I'll do piece at a time, then sets. Then show some quantity discounts
that you can post up if you want. Helps everyone if we can get more. ;)

Front: $392
Mid: $413
Trans $361
Cross $99 (in steel still)
Gas $339
Total: $1604

Combo prices:
1-5 would be $1400
6-9 would be $1200
10 or more would be $1100

Weight would be about $100 for the full set ( almost half the 3/16 steel
weight)
Another option would be to make them from .12" thick steel, 1/3 weight
redux, and same price as the regular steel ones.
BUT remember: 1/2 - 1/3 less strength or more in either option. ( but you
can hammer them back if you do bend them)

Lemme know!
Thanks!
Bud
828-572-1202

If there is enough interest it would be nice to do a group buy. (If that is cool with the ExPo mods.) And if there is not enough interest, here is the info for those of us who have been wanting full aluminum underbelly protection.

slooowr6

Explorer
Got the mail from Bud as well.
@OH, Are you getting the full skid? I'm not sure if I want/need the gas skid and front skid.

Switch

Observer
So the rumor is true!

Bud Built is making skids for the 05+ Tacoma in Aluminum!

Here is the email from Bud.

If there is enough interest it would be nice to do a group buy. (If that is cool with the ExPo mods.) And if there is not enough interest, here is the info for those of us who have been wanting full aluminum underbelly protection.

Aluminum is lighter but also weaker. I assume that the aluminum skids are thicker to compensate so how does strength and weight compare with steel skids?

FJLED

Adventurer
From Buds Email...

"Weight ~100lbs for full set"

"BUT remember: 1/2 - 1/3 less strength or more in either option. ( but you can hammer them back if you do bend them)"

Zwoehr

Al vs Steel

The lighter gauge steel ones sound good to me. In dealing with industrial equipment I've found that Al stuff is nice when it is new but as soon as you start to abuse it it becomes a huge pain. It is brittle and loses strength when it is deformed (you can't fix it with a hammer) I think Al skids could work well but steel is definitely going to hold up longer.

Wondering if anyone has any positives to aluminum skids besides weight savings.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The lighter gauge steel ones sound good to me. In dealing with industrial equipment I've found that Al stuff is nice when it is new but as soon as you start to abuse it it becomes a huge pain. It is brittle and loses strength when it is deformed (you can't fix it with a hammer) I think Al skids could work well but steel is definitely going to hold up longer.

Wondering if anyone has any positives to aluminum skids besides weight savings.

The lighter gauge steel might be a good way to go. (I am checking on the exact weight of them.)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
FWIW. I've had the lighter gauge steel front skids and belly pan on my 01 for 2 years now. I can attest to their lighter weight (3RZ FE) and durability -- yes, the dents bang out nicely... ask me how I know. If you're not looking to use the skids as a pivot point for rock crawling, then this is a way to protect from those errant mishaps in direction while keeping overall weight down.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have some more info from Bud.

These weights are for the front skids, not including the gas tank skid.

Regular 3/16" thick steel 4 piece set: 133#
1/8" thick steel ( same crossmember tho ) 94#
1/4" thick aluminum ( same crossmember tho ) 74#

Bud also notes:

[the alum] will grind to dust on rocks so be careful.

I like the idea of aluminum because it does not need to be powder coated. This helps balance the added cost of the aluminum. The aluminum 4 piece set would cost only about $200 more than a powder coated steel set.

(And I think aluminum would look really nice under the rig, but form follows function.)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Powder coated skid plates? On an off road vehicle? I'd pop for PC on bumpers, even sliders in a heartbeat, but skids? I'm pretty careful offroad but mine have taken a pretty good beating - I couldn't see paying all that money for PC to have it scraped off by some rocks, stumps, or whatever on the trail. Even the front is pitted down to the primer from road debris on the highway. A little cleaning and a shot of rattle-can black and I'm GTG. Please, carry on spending your money however you desire, but think of what those PC funds could go towards.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Powder coated skid plates? On an off road vehicle? I'd pop for PC on bumpers, even sliders in a heartbeat, but skids? I'm pretty careful offroad but mine have taken a pretty good beating - I couldn't see paying all that money for PC to have it scraped off by some rocks, stumps, or whatever on the trail. Even the front is pitted down to the primer from road debris on the highway. A little cleaning and a shot of rattle-can black and I'm GTG. Please, carry on spending your money however you desire, but think of what those PC funds could go towards.

Good point. I am thinking this through as I go.

We have 6 months of winter up here, so I worry about things rusting. If a rattle can would keep the rust away, then that works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater