Always open tire chuck

RACKMAN

Observer
I need a tire chuck that is always open as I am running the ARB Twin high output compressor without a tank and pressure switch for now. Any suggestions for brands and where to get them...seems open chucks are not very common or I am just looking in the wrong places???? Thanks.

RACKMAN

Rynomar

Observer
How are you setting it up? Are you wanting an air chuck for a quick connect? If so, maybe you could just switch the connectors and have the chuck on your air line and the plug connected to the compressor. I have mine hooked up to a tank. The ARB Twin is designed to kick on at 135 psi and shut off around 150, so you wouldn't need a pressure regulator.

RACKMAN

Observer
How are you setting it up? Are you wanting an air chuck for a quick connect? If so, maybe you could just switch the connectors and have the chuck on your air line and the plug connected to the compressor. I have mine hooked up to a tank. The ARB Twin is designed to kick on at 135 psi and shut off around 150, so you wouldn't need a pressure regulator.
So, the ARB twin has a built in pressure switch that will shut down the compressor if no air is moving through an air hose? I did not recall that info being in the instructions. Yes the plug can be on the compressor, but as soon as you hook up the air hose with a closed chuck, the pressure will just keep building up until either the hose ruptures or the compressor burns out...no?

If air is moving through the hose no pressure will build up, and you'll burn out the compressor if just stays on. With the ARB they should have a pressure switch that plugs into a T fitting or the tank. That pressure switch should be installed in-between the "On" switch and the Switch position of the relay/solenoid that provides power to the compressor. As long as the switch is in the air stream once it gets to the max pressure it disconnects the power automatically, then once it drops below the minimum reconnects the power. If you follow the instructions provided you should be just fine. If you have a compressor without the harness then you need a relay and a switch at the minimum and if its not with the compressor you'll need a pressure switch like this one
bu7ydynu.jpg

If your new to wiring then take the time to ask a lot of questions and get it right the first time. Vehicle fires suck ;) There are a lot of people on here that know more than me, but I'll answer any questions you have. We all had to start somewhere but I know I would have been a lot better off if I had resources like these when I started out.

Rynomar

Observer
photo-12A.jpgphoto-13.jpgphoto-14.jpgThe Twin Compressor has a pressure regulator built into it 135 psi and 150 psi. You don't need to add anything to the system to shut the power off when it reaches 150 psi. It is really a nice, well thought out setup.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/CKMTA12_retail.pdf

I have mine set up with a hose going directly to a tank and a couple air chucks running off of the tank. If you have any questions, let me know.

Last edited:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I have a similar setup with no air tank.
I found an always open chuck at Napa Auto Parts.
You're right, they aren't common. You may have to educate the counterman.
The setup works great for me.

Dennis

Just out of curiosity what do you use the open air chuck for? I have a blow gun if I want to hit something with a shot of air. Also the ARB inflator with the gauge is great. I wrote a review on it on Amazon. Having the pressure build up then blasting something with air works best for me. It also keeps the compressor from having to pull extra duty.
dy2y8y8a.jpg

I've got the smaller one plumbed with copper tube in my Discovery.

RACKMAN

Observer
Just out of curiosity what do you use the open air chuck for? I have a blow gun if I want to hit something with a shot of air. Also the ARB inflator with the gauge is great. I wrote a review on it on Amazon. Having the pressure build up then blasting something with air works best for me. It also keeps the compressor from having to pull extra duty.
dy2y8y8a.jpg

I've got the smaller one plumbed with copper tube in my Discovery.
I thought I needed an always open tire chuck to prevent the pressure from building up and rupturing the hose or burning out the compressor, but an email to ARB confirmed that the Twin compressor has a built in pressure switch to prevent this from happening as some of you have already posted. So I'm good to go with a regular tire chuck. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp