An alternative to Terrafirma Swivel Recovery Shackles in a Terrafima bumper

New User Name

Observer
A couple of days ago I installed Viking Offroad's recovery swivels into my Terrafima bumper. At about $50/per rather than $80/per I came out on top even after spending about $20 on a new snap ring pliers.

http://i.imgur.com/iEAkdq2.jpg?1

Edit: I have no idea why that picture is upside down, if you click on the link it's correct.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 18, 7 11 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 18, 7 11 19 PM.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 95

Eniam17

Adventurer
Looks cool, I'd like to do that. How long did it take you? Also what size tires are you running on the D2? Thanks

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
What is the diameter of the swivel piece? Seems like a nice alternative but if it's any smaller than the TF version that's a recipe for disaster.

New User Name

Observer
Looks cool, I'd like to do that. How long did it take you? Also what size tires are you running on the D2? Thanks

Just a couple of minutes, put the swivel through the hole, seat the snap ring, and then bolt the shackle on. The tires are 235/85R16's.

I did something similar on my ARB bumper and love them. Do those have the backing plate?

Nope no backing plate.

What is the diameter of the swivel piece? Seems like a nice alternative but if it's any smaller than the TF version that's a recipe for disaster.

Viking says they need a 1-7/16th inch hole, and as good as they fit I'm fairly certain the Terrafirma ones must be the same size. There is no slop or extraneous play. I'll try to get you a good measurement for a direct comparison.

fishEH

Explorer
Just a couple of minutes, put the swivel through the hole, seat the snap ring, and then bolt the shackle on. The tires are 235/85R16's.

Nope no backing plate.

Viking says they need a 1-7/16th inch hole, and as good as they fit I'm fairly certain the Terrafirma ones must be the same size. There is no slop or extraneous play. I'll try to get you a good measurement for a direct comparison.
That no backing plate thing doesn't sound good. :(

New User Name

Observer
agree, mine came with a plate I welded in

Which brand were yours? I'm guessing you welded the backing plate into the inside of the bumper? My bumper was thick enough that if there was any more depth the snap rings wouldnt have seated... To be clear, there is very little play with these swivels and the Terrafima bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk