Android GPS app for Canadian road navigation

Knuckles

Hey guys,

I am setting up my Samsung Note 8 for nav duty in my Taco and am curious if anyone has had good luck with any of the nav apps, specifically in terms of how up to date the Canadian maps are that they use.

I don't care about voice guided directions, points of interest, telling all my friends where I am with twitter/pinface/youbook/etc or any of that nonsense...just solid navigation algorithms and up to date offline maps.

Cost isn't really an issue...the app can cost the same as a new standalone gps unit and I'd be happy if it works.

Some examples of nav apps are Copilot and Sygic. Google would get my money if they sold offline maps that integrate with Google Maps (I've tried the downloading thing....very tedious)

I do have Backcountry Nav for my topos, but am looking for a Garmin replacement.

Thanks for any help you can provide

zoblo

Observer
I drove up to Nova Scotia in October and used Copilot on my samsung tab 2.0 7" screen and it worked fine. I had to buy the map for canada but it was only 4 or 5 dollars. I've been very pleased with Copilot.

Knuckles

Thanks for that. I will give it a try. I will likely buy a few different ones and just see what the best is.

I'm thinking of mating up my tablet to a Dual XGPS160 SkyPro receiver. Once I start getting some good time on the different apps I will post some thorough reviews

Knuckles

Alright, for anyone interested...

I bought Copilot Premium USA and Canada for $14.99, and Sygic GPS Navigation Offline for Android (Canada) with the real time traffic (why not, eh) for what worked out to $54.00 (35.98*€) which includes a free license for a second download.

First thing I noticed was the map download sizes...the Canada map for Sygic was about twice the size at approximately 450MB. It took me about one minute to see why. The Copilot app didn't show the road to the site I'm currently working at, and didnt even show Stony Trail in Calgary. As far as I'm concerned I just threw $14.99 out the window with Copilot because a nav system can have all the pretty displays, sexy voices (haha), gadgets and doodads they want, but if it doesnt have a good map source then there's really no point.

First impressions...

Is Copilot a well made app? Yes. Is it worth $14.99? Well, maybe in your area the maps will be good enough, but it just doesnt work for my uses in my area, so no.

Would I recommend someone paying 3 times more for Sygic? Yes. The simple fact is that $15 for a nav app thats missing a lot of roads is not a good investment. I would feel good about my friends and parents using Sygic.

Bottom line is I'm not sure how much an 8" GPS would cost, but likely more than $50. So far Sygic seems very good, but on-going testing and reviews will tell the whole story. I feel its a very fair price for a well developed app.

More to come...

RickyPaul

Thanks for sharing this interesting news about android gps app. I think its a wonderful work and great effort. I will surely try this and will share this app with everyone.

drfreema

AEV JK350
I use OsmAnd on my Samsung Tab 3 7.0 and it works great. Turn-by-turn, cycling maps, GPX import, and cheap ($8). Also works in off-line mode by downloading all maps you need beforehand. Canada is well covered. Combine that with a Ram Mount and you can't go wrong. Good luck.

crunchie

I am glad I found this thread. I am currently looking for an offline map that I can use on my Toshiba android tablet and my Samsung 3gs in conjunction with my Garmin Glo. The Glo is a stand alone bluetooth GPS reciever that uses the GPS system as well as the Russian GLONASS constellation for data. So far I have found it very fast and accurate, as long as I am connected to WIFI. The challenge I am having is finding an offline map that allows for track recording, track and waypoint planning and importing or overlaying geocaching information. So far I have found most of that in separate apps, but none together. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for an all purpose app that meets all of my demands without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman