Another ABS question

Rene Fulcrum

2001tacoma
Ok I HAVE FINALLY HAD IT with my ABS! After almost killing someone last night this is the final straw it's gotta come out/shut off! So I've pulled my battery and am having a hard time getting the ABS fuse out. Can I just crack the plastic cap on it and break the fuse? Or how in the hell do I get it out otherwise?!
Please help before I kill someone or myself its super unsafe!! Thanks guys

climber-420

Adventurer
I am also interested in this. I have a 2004 TRD Tacoma, and with the recent snow here in Denver, my brakes make a funny sound when I barely even push them, and I slide, they just seem to lock up. I also have an UltraGauge, and I have heard that it will mess with the ABS as well. Help!!!!

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I recommend you go to Tacomaworld.com and search there. I installed an ABS kill switch in my 2009 Tacoma which works great. Wish I could help but can't without a technical wiring diagram. Good luck!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
2001tacoma
Ok I HAVE FINALLY HAD IT with my ABS! After almost killing someone last night this is the final straw it's gotta come out/shut off! So I've pulled my battery and am having a hard time getting the ABS fuse out. Can I just crack the plastic cap on it and break the fuse? Or how in the hell do I get it out otherwise?!
Please help before I kill someone or myself its super unsafe!! Thanks guys
Can you share a little more about what is going on (wrong) with the ABS in your truck? I know the system may not be the nicest one out there, but it should work. Can you tell us about the truck, how it differs from stock and what you are experiencing?

JacksonRally

Adventurer
I am interested in an ABS "off" switch in my 06 4Runner. I already did the trac off mod but this still leaves the ABS functional. ABS or all brakes suck, does nothing for loose surfaces. You want the tires to skid in the snow or loose gravel to actually DIG into the surface for grip to stop. ABS is fine for pavement. The first thing we do in the Subarus is remove the fuse. Im not sure its that easy in the Toyotas but I am new to them. Its on my list of research for my new to me 4Runner.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Can you share a little more about what is going on (wrong) with the ABS in your truck? I know the system may not be the nicest one out there, but it should work. Can you tell us about the truck, how it differs from stock and what you are experiencing?

It is unnecessary for the OP to post more details. It is extremely common to see these complaints this time of year because of SNOW and ICE. ABS freaks out on these surfaces creating dangerous situations where the driver is unable to stop the vehicle. Creating a way for the vehicle operator to disable the ABS system would seemingly precipitate us into a seething cauldron of debate. But debate is not necessary. The ABS system eliminates the need for the driver to learn and understand threshold braking procedures. And it is undisputed that ABS is a system where you trade an increased distance required to stop, for steering control. The bottom line is ABS is fine for dry and sometimes wet pavement conditions. When off-road where there is loose sand, gravel on steep terrain, or onroad where there is SNOW or ICE the ABS system is downright dangerous. In these conditions it creates a supremely dangerous set of circumstances where no matter what, the driver can't stop the vehicle. Also many people erroneously belive that it's federally required for vehiclels to be sold to be equiped with ABS. This of course is a myth. VSC (ESC), is federally required but not ABS.

There is nothing wrong with a driver disabling ABS on the road or off-road, as long as they understand what they are doing and how it affects the operation of their vechile.

As for the '06 4runner, I'm sure pulling a fuse is the easiest way. Consult the documentation for the fuse/relay block. I know several tacoma owners would do this that did not have a kill switch installed and it worked great for them.

Last edited:

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Rene- I'm not saying for a moment that your concerns aren't real. What I was trying to do is ensure everything else (tires, prop-valve, sensors) is working as best as possible, before you go out and defeat a safety system on your vehicle, potentially exposing yourself to liability (should you ever be in an accident).
Crom- Thanks for the refresher about winter driving- I haven't had to stop on an icy road since- this morning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach