Another Advice/Info Thread

howirolla

Campfire Passport
So it looks like tomorrow I will be meeting with a guy to check out one another's rigs for a possible trade deal.
Going out would be my 02 Disco, lift, tires, and a center locker. 145k miles.

coming in would be a 98 sport and cash
higher in the miles at 213k, and its a 98 so no 3.5 just the 3.0, BUT it does have the rear locker, and its basically a one owner car. The person I am working with said his mother bought it new and then he got it when she got something else recently. no idea how old this guy is, could be a kid, could be my age, hard to say.

I think if we can agree on terms I am going to make the trade, but a little nudging from the monty group here might help me make the decision as well.
I know I will be loosing a bit in size, but the gains in not only mpg but also price at the pump (premium vs regular), the lower cost of maintaining the car, and the extra bit of rear seat leg room for my kids just might all be worth loosing a bit of cargo room.

any thoughts/opinions/advice welcome

Last edited:

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
You know the Disco, (good and bad). All I can say is from the pics, the Sport looks immaculate. The leather is better than our '03 Sport before I replaced the interior. It must have been garage kept, since it appears even the body color strip between the fender extensions and the body is not faded, and the clear coat on the extensions looks great.

I forgot the Sport 4WD could get the locking rear diff. My wife's 2WD Limited is quite capable, and a good highway ride as well. If this truck has good service records, it could be a win/win for both of you. Once you tackle the usual Mitsu engine to do list, you'll enjoy reliability you may not have experienced before.

Last, however, I do see a fair amount of difference between my full size Montero and our Sport in terms of ride and capabilities, but for a '98, that looks like a sweet ride if you are happy with the concept of a 4WD Sport in general, do the deal, be happy, and get to work.

BTW, Gurus... noticed that one has the rear heater option in the back of the console, this is a nice addition in the Winter, does it also have the power moonroof? I think I just noticed a CD changer slot in the console? Did they make a Limited in 98'? and is that heated seat switches beside the E-brake handle? If so, this is the most loaded Sport I've seen including our '03 Limited. I think I want it...but I've got too many already!

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
That disco should be 4500-6000 depending on the area and buyer. OR and WA seems to be on the high end of the spectrum. I'm a former rover guy (5 discos and 3 range rovers).

The sport is probably a 2000-2500 truck. The 98-99 has rear leaf springs too. All sports have Torsen bar front springs. Fwiw.

The sport ride will be worse than your disco by a long shot.

Is there a particular reason why you are looking into the sport vs a full size Monty?

I can't preach it enough how impressed I've been with both my gen3 trucks. 03 and 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howirolla

Campfire Passport
That disco should be 4500-6000 depending on the area and buyer. OR and WA seems to be on the high end of the spectrum. I'm a former rover guy (5 discos and 3 range rovers).

The sport is probably a 2000-2500 truck. The 98-99 has rear leaf springs too. All sports have Torsen bar front springs. Fwiw.

The sport ride will be worse than your disco by a long shot.

Is there a particular reason why you are looking into the sport vs a full size Monty?

I can't preach it enough how impressed I've been with both my gen3 trucks. 03 and 06.

I would love to see that type of value out of my rover, but I know it isn't there. its been beat on pretty good body wise. but either way, the trade was based around getting cash added on his end.

I have looked at full sizes quite a lot, just like everyone else I would love a 2.5. and I am most defiantly not opposed to one, but this is probably the best offer I have gotten on the rover in general.

normal_dave

Gumming up the works:
https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5651817639.html
KyleT is correct, this one is much more truck than the Sport, night and day, You could jump on this one, sell the Disco later, after you fix the booster. The interior looks good in the pictures, maybe the rest is good as well. If it were me, as nice as the Sport is I'd spend 1500 on this one, and fix the booster vs 2000 on the Sport.
This probably has the known brake booster issue, and it can cost way more than $ 300, but the Aussies have a write up on how to get it fixed cheap. If this one has been well serviced then, it looks like a deal if you are handy with a wrench.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=46516

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Gumming up the works:
https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5651817639.html
KyleT is correct, this one is much more truck than the Sport, night and day, You could jump on this one, sell the Disco later, after you fix the booster. The interior looks good in the pictures, maybe the rest is good as well. If it were me, as nice as the Sport is I'd spend 1500 on this one, and fix the booster vs 2000 on the Sport.
This probably has the known brake booster issue, and it can cost way more than $ 300, but the Aussies have a write up on how to get it fixed cheap. If this one has been well serviced then, it looks like a deal if you are handy with a wrench.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=46516

I understand that move, but I just don't know how interested in the gen3's I really am.
there is also the fact that this trade is a zero money OUT situation, only money IN. and likely enough to get a lift, some used larger tires, and what ever little maintenance things need tending to on the monty. which in turn puts me right where I am with the disco at the moment, but with the other advantages I mentioned in the og post

normal_dave

Cool. We're not buying it, you are, but as far as Sports go, that one still looks sweet. The Gen 3s are awesome though, even the ugly exteriors will grow on you, sorta like moss...

Good Luck!

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Cool. We're not buying it, you are, but as far as Sports go, that one still looks sweet. The Gen 3s are awesome though, even the ugly exteriors will grow on you, sorta like moss...

Good Luck!

HAHA
I want to like them, and I do kinda, but I just am not fully sold on them yet.
maybe if I do this sport, and it really sells me on the monty name, maybe it would be an upgrade down the road.

KyleT

Explorer
A sport isn't really a montero/Pajero. At least test drive one. My gen 3 compares very closet to my old 06 Range Rover except in power and prestige. But I win on cost.

TerrenceLP

Observer
Gen 3 Montero is the best of the bunch and will hold more speed than anything else it compares to. 3.8L well kept will be more than one really needs. #beastsuv

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I love my Sport but I would hold out for a 3.5L version... then you get the best of both worlds in my opinion and this motor moves the smaller Sport briskly in comparison to the Full Size.

With Bilsteins and a few new bushings it rides as nice as a bunch of the new stuff I've been driving while feeling out a replacement (so far nothing seems worth the money). I like the safety features of the 2000+ but if you don't care I would try to find a 99 Limited with the 3.5L and rear locker....of course an ARB isn't that expensive considering the purchase price of a Sport.

normal_dave

Know you're chasing sports, but this Montero is listed as an XLS?, it's really a Limited.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5700347395.html

No idea on price, but this could be a great Sport to get, 4WD, Limited, 3.5L, should have the LSD in the rear. We have an identical 2003 at our house and it is great. That driver's seat leather looks great for the age, reflects good care of the vehicle IMO. Pirate can give you a firsthand account on his as well. At least go test drive it vs. the 3rd Gen full size.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5695915989.html

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Know you're chasing sports, but this Montero is listed as an XLS?, it's really a Limited.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5700347395.html

No idea on price, but this could be a great Sport to get, 4WD, Limited, 3.5L, should have the LSD in the rear. We have an identical 2003 at our house and it is great. That driver's seat leather looks great for the age, reflects good care of the vehicle IMO. Pirate can give you a firsthand account on his as well. At least go test drive it vs. the 3rd Gen full size.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5695915989.html

That 02 Sport is quite nice.

This looks like a good deal on a full size as well: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5637153623.html

howirolla

Campfire Passport
I wouldn't say I am chasing a sport. it was just an option that arose.
and while a limited slip diff is nice, to me, I am not sure it is worth the trade off of loosing a solid front axle. a locker in the rear on the other had, helps to ease my mind with the loss of a solid axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach