Another Budget 3rd Gen 4Runner build

Awesome. Thanks. Yeah I priced OEM...holy crap. I guess that's why mine are original...18 years later, and mostly working. It's only when it gets cold or if the glass is down, that they sag.

Were they a direct fit? Do they work well?

Yes they are pretty easy to do, but can be time consuming. I use vise grips on the shaft of the other side of the one that I'm doing to keep it from falling on me. I had to put the top of one side on the mount and use a screw driver through the lower mounting point and rotate the shaft to line it up with the mount. I think it's because technically there are right and left shocks. The ones in the kit are identical. It's easier with 2 people, but I did it myself in about 10 minutes.

I like the black trim, looks great. Really sets off the flares.
Thanks!

Dougnuts

Black trim looks good. I think if you did the portion behind and around the front plate, it would finish the look.

Nice 4Runner, I'm a fan.

Black trim looks good. I think if you did the portion behind and around the front plate, it would finish the look.

Nice 4Runner, I'm a fan.

Thanks, Yes that's the plan, I just ran out of time. Really I want to get a new front bumper, so I'm not really worried about this one at the time. I just can't find a Front bumper that I like in my price range (sub-$600 or so). I like the Shrockworks, and I'm close enough to pick it up and save the money, but It's still a grand plus tax. I also like the 4xInnovations one. I like big stingers, but the wife hates them so it will be a flat top bumper.

Last edited:
I had the 4Runner at Discount Tire again to get the tires balanced. I seem very having a major issue with something. I can not seem to get these F'n tires to balance, or there is some other issue causing vibrations. I've already addressed everything I can think of that could cause vibrations. I had them put the clamps on weights outside the lips, even though the guy said they will scratch. I care more about function over form and will not tolerate vibrations. It's significantly improved vs the sticker weights, as I figured the case would be. Static Balance is hard to do on truck tires reliably.

Anyway, while I was waiting for the balance I wandered over to Best Buy to see about upgrading the radio. The stock H/U sucks and I would like to have Bluetooth. I was able to pick up a nice Pioneer touchscreen unit with a Metra wiring Harness and some Pioneer 6.5" Speakers for the front doors for a hair under $300. Both the radio and speakers were open box items and looked unused. I experienced no issues during install, except the park brake sensor has to be installed to do basically anything on the pioneer unit.

I also used this time to replace my Center stack plastic with a black one, I'm not a big fan of the fake wood. Plus the limited fake wood is the thinnest cheapest plastic I've ever felt. It literally disintegrated in my hands. I got a black one from the junkyard and painted my middle section of plastic to match.

Crap "wood trim" that just fell apart

K9olT1R.jpg

The middle piece of trim:

84hsVh3

CakshRf.jpg

New radio, trying out the DVD function. Works great.

I7mHROJ.jpg

New door speakers

nE5aatk.jpg

All done

SCXopXj.jpg

qqn9Htr.jpg

I'm really impressed by the performance of the head unit. It's the Pioneer AVH-X3800BS and I used the Metra 70-1761. At Best buy the computer pulled up several numbers for the harness. This one connects the 2 separate wire sets to the one radio connection. I have the factory amp that I removed.

My All-Pro Sliders should ship today so next week I'll be putting them on, I'm excited about that

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Looking good, I think I'd like that black center piece if I could find one.

I got a single din head unit for mine and while I was in there swapped all the bulbs in the area I could find for LEDS. If you haven't already I highly recommend it. The climate controls are so easy to see now and not that dingy green.

Awesome. Thanks. Yeah I priced OEM...holy crap. I guess that's why mine are original...18 years later, and mostly working. It's only when it gets cold or if the glass is down, that they sag.

Were they a direct fit? Do they work well?

I like the black trim, looks great. Really sets off the flares.

Looking good, I think I'd like that black center piece if I could find one.

I got a single din head unit for mine and while I was in there swapped all the bulbs in the area I could find for LEDS. If you haven't already I highly recommend it. The climate controls are so easy to see now and not that dingy green.

Thanks, I already did the LED swap. I didn't realize how many lights I had that were burned out. The AC screen is the only area that bugs me, it has a brown tint to the screen and everything else is nice and white. I found the dash piece at a parts yard for about $15.

Backup Camera and Sliders (not on yet)

I've been super busy and haven't really had a chance to mess with the 4Runner much lately. I did install a backup camera, which was not too hard. It was gross though, as I ran the wire under the carpet with 18 years or other people's filth under there....

2Zga3hF.jpg

llwfxUW.jpg

I got the sliders in and cleaned them up. They are much larger tubing than I anticipated. I think that I may be missing parts. I don't have any plates that would mount it to the frame. Either they came off in transit (entirely possible because the "packaging" was a joke) or All Pro forgot them.

What I thought they would look like:

95-04-hdslider.jpg

What I got:

gPEXolx.jpg

LKjOKnk.jpg

DiL5h1v.jpg

nwUdiRF.jpg

I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow and see what they say. I guess I can find some plates, but I thought they would be ready to paint and go on. For paint, I inquired with a couple powder coat places locally and I will not be doing that. It was about as much as buying the sliders to them coated, or more. I am thinking some black tractor implement paint with hardener.
I got some small flood LED lights to put up on the roof rack for some lighting, just haven't had time to put them on. I also got some "quick fist" clamps that I'm going to mount to the inside of the liftgate to mount a shovel and an axe so they are handy, but not in the way. I did consider adding a Smittybilt GEAR MOLLE rack and bags to the area, but I don't think the struts will hold them up with stuff in it.

This is the rack, I had one in my first Jeep and it was actually damn handy.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-gear-tailgate-jk-5662301.html?utm_content=XT+Interior+-+Storage%7CSmittybilt&utm_campaign=JK%20-%20Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&XTID=J17604

I have been fantasizing about various front (and rear) bumpers, and I was wondering if anyone has every used or know anyone who had a Northwest Trail Innovations DIY bumper, seen here:
http://nwtrailinnovations.com/toyota-4runner-bumpers/toyota-4runner-1996-2005-bumpers/Toyota-1996-2002-bumper-open-top-

I really like the design, but I'm not sure if it will work with the factory Skid plate. I read it somewhere while researching, but I don't see why it would be affected.

Thanks for stopping in!

owyheerat

Adventurer
I've been super busy and haven't really had a chance to mess with the 4Runner much lately. I did install a backup camera, which was not too hard. It was gross though, as I ran the wire under the carpet with 18 years or other people's filth under there....

2Zga3hF.jpg

llwfxUW.jpg

I got the sliders in and cleaned them up. They are much larger tubing than I anticipated. I think that I may be missing parts. I don't have any plates that would mount it to the frame. Either they came off in transit (entirely possible because the "packaging" was a joke) or All Pro forgot them.

What I thought they would look like:

95-04-hdslider.jpg

What I got:

gPEXolx.jpg

LKjOKnk.jpg

DiL5h1v.jpg

nwUdiRF.jpg

I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow and see what they say. I guess I can find some plates, but I thought they would be ready to paint and go on. For paint, I inquired with a couple powder coat places locally and I will not be doing that. It was about as much as buying the sliders to them coated, or more. I am thinking some black tractor implement paint with hardener.
I got some small flood LED lights to put up on the roof rack for some lighting, just haven't had time to put them on. I also got some "quick fist" clamps that I'm going to mount to the inside of the liftgate to mount a shovel and an axe so they are handy, but not in the way. I did consider adding a Smittybilt GEAR MOLLE rack and bags to the area, but I don't think the struts will hold them up with stuff in it.

This is the rack, I had one in my first Jeep and it was actually damn handy.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-gear-tailgate-jk-5662301.html?utm_content=XT+Interior+-+Storage%7CSmittybilt&utm_campaign=JK%20-%20Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&XTID=J17604

I have been fantasizing about various front (and rear) bumpers, and I was wondering if anyone has every used or know anyone who had a Northwest Trail Innovations DIY bumper, seen here:
http://nwtrailinnovations.com/toyota-4runner-bumpers/toyota-4runner-1996-2005-bumpers/Toyota-1996-2002-bumper-open-top-

I really like the design, but I'm not sure if it will work with the factory Skid plate. I read it somewhere while researching, but I don't see why it would be affected.

Thanks for stopping in!

Dang, you just continue to make this rig nicer and nicer.

I really like those AP sliders! I wish I would have got bolt on style instead of weld on. I need to repaint the bottom side of mine, and I'm dreading it.

I've never heard of, or seen the NW innovations bumpers before. It looks a lot like an AP design, but way cheaper:Wow1:. It sounds like a good deal. It would be nice to see it from the side. I would want to make sure it doesn't stick out too far. I'm saying that because I currently have an Addicted Offroad plate bumper, and I don't care for how far it sticks out. I will be replacing it soon.

Another option for bumpers, is to buy plans from Bandit Runner on T4R.org. I went this route for my rear bumper and he was awesome to deal with, and I really like his designs.

Here is link with some pics of my rear bumper: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/204519-big-shout-out-bandit-runner-bumper-design.html

Thanks for keeping your thread updated, it's been fun following along, watching you transform your 4runner. I wish I could get motivated to start a build thread. I'm terrible about taking pics of mods, and even worse at figuring out how to upload them.

Durwin

austintaco

Explorer
I think I have the same or very close to the same stereo in my Tacoma. The backup camera is a game changer when we are loaded up or for backing up to the trailer. For your sliders, pro tip: If you are going to weld them on, mark the points along the pinch weld where they will come close to touching and notch those areas ahead of time. My installer did not do that, and with the right load at the right spots the weld would rub the slider. Trying to cut them after is a PITA.

Dang, you just continue to make this rig nicer and nicer.

I really like those AP sliders! I wish I would have got bolt on style instead of weld on. I need to repaint the bottom side of mine, and I'm dreading it.

I've never heard of, or seen the NW innovations bumpers before. It looks a lot like an AP design, but way cheaper:Wow1:. It sounds like a good deal. It would be nice to see it from the side. I would want to make sure it doesn't stick out too far. I'm saying that because I currently have an Addicted Offroad plate bumper, and I don't care for how far it sticks out. I will be replacing it soon.

Another option for bumpers, is to buy plans from Bandit Runner on T4R.org. I went this route for my rear bumper and he was awesome to deal with, and I really like his designs.

Here is link with some pics of my rear bumper: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/204519-big-shout-out-bandit-runner-bumper-design.html

Thanks for keeping your thread updated, it's been fun following along, watching you transform your 4runner. I wish I could get motivated to start a build thread. I'm terrible about taking pics of mods, and even worse at figuring out how to upload them.

Durwin

Thanks.
On the NW bumper, it does stick out, but from some of the pictures I've seen I'm not sure how much more it sticks out past the "fat lip" bumper I already have. And honestly, I'm not that worried about it. They have another bumper which does not stick out as far, but it has a large vertical surface in the middle that looks odd to me. I may do the Bandit bumpers, I've thought about that. But I would probably need them cut out or a lot Sawzall blades and I'd need to borrow a hotter welder!

I was welding my frame plates onto the sliders today and my welder just isn't right. I bought it used, and cheap, it does its job on thin steel, but on this 3/16"+ it works hard and has a lot of spatter, regardless of settings. More to follow on that.

Last edited:
I think I have the same or very close to the same stereo in my Tacoma. The backup camera is a game changer when we are loaded up or for backing up to the trailer. For your sliders, pro tip: If you are going to weld them on, mark the points along the pinch weld where they will come close to touching and notch those areas ahead of time. My installer did not do that, and with the right load at the right spots the weld would rub the slider. Trying to cut them after is a PITA.

Yes, I was holding them up to look at the install area today and noticed that exact thing. On mine they aren't really close, but close enough where a little shave will be ok.
Thanks for the pointer

owyheerat

Adventurer
Thanks.
I may do the Bandit bumpers, I've thought about that. But I would probably need them cut out or a lot Sawzall blades and I'd need to borrow a hotter welder!

In case you didn't already know this, If you decide to go with a Bandit bumper. He sends a 'DXF' (autocad) file of all the parts, which allows you to email or transfer via thumbdrive to a local steel yard and they can put it on there plasma table and cut all the parts for you. Very exact and fast. The local yard I used only charged me $50 more than what the steel would have been. Very much worth it, IMO. There are so many small pieces to create the shape, that it will take you a long time to cut by hand, and they won't be as accurate. Not that you don't have the skill, but the Plasma table in CNC, accurate to the thousandth of an inch.

Also, call around. I got 3 quotes. One of the shops wanted over $200 for the table set up + steel.

Food for thought. Keep us posted on your decision.

Good luck.

In case you didn't already know this, If you decide to go with a Bandit bumper. He sends a 'DXF' (autocad) file of all the parts, which allows you to email or transfer via thumbdrive to a local steel yard and they can put it on there plasma table and cut all the parts for you. Very exact and fast. The local yard I used only charged me $50 more than what the steel would have been. Very much worth it, IMO. There are so many small pieces to create the shape, that it will take you a long time to cut by hand, and they won't be as accurate. Not that you don't have the skill, but the Plasma table in CNC, accurate to the thousandth of an inch.

Also, call around. I got 3 quotes. One of the shops wanted over $200 for the table set up + steel.

Food for thought. Keep us posted on your decision.

Good luck.

Also good to know. I would have thought it would be much more. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk