Another Cargo Shelf

greynolds

Observer
There have already been quite a few solutions posted for ways to build a shelf in the cargo area to make better / more efficient use of the space and to get a (nearly) level platform when the rear seats are tipped forward. I've been working on mine and figured I would share some pictures of how it has come out so far. Mine was built for general use without worrying about carrying specific boxes or fridges. The main uses will be to carry luggage on trips, transport a secured propane tank for refills, and to carry whatever else I need to carry. I wanted flexibility in holding cargo securely, so I installed a bunch of L tracks that should allow me to securely attach anything I may need to carry. I also wanted to do something that required no permanent modifications to the vehicle and could be removed relatively quickly, if needed. So I installed tie down rings on the underside and used short cam straps to hold it in place. The basic design is that I built riser platforms that sit on the wheel wells, with a 1/2" sheet of plywood on top of them and a piece of 3/4" plywood in the middle to prevent it from bowing under load. On top of the 1/2" sheet of plywood, I installed the L tracks and sheets of 1/4" plywood to make a level surface. I then carpeted all of the exposed surfaces with OEM Mercedes fabric so it matches the rest of the interior. The 1/2" sheet of plywood is in 2 pieces to make installing and removing the shelf a simple task.

The only thing I really have left to do is to carpet the 3/4" sheet of plywood that supplies support in the center.

Here are some pictures:

CargoShelfOverview.jpg

CargoShelfTopLeft.jpg

CargoShelfTopRight.jpg

CargoShelfFrontToBack.jpg

CargoShelfSeatsDown2.jpg

CargoShelfSeatsDown3.jpg

Note that I didn't provide a cutout to get access to the 115V outlet. I probably should have, but I never use the outlet and doing it this way made the carpet job easier.

CargoShelf115VOutlet.jpg

CargoShelfAnchor.jpg

CargoShelfBottomLeft.jpg

CargoShelfRiser.jpg

ILIAN

Adventurer
Nice shelf! What year is your G? Can you please post some pic of how the rear sill plate is attached? Mine is just a plastic piece that screwes in. Yours must be polished stainless, looks much nicer. I may order one if it can be made to fit. I'm also interested to see some pictures of the fuel tank protection they put in the 2014 G that's why I'm asking. Yours looks like a new one.

greynolds

Observer
Nice shelf! What year is your G? Can you please post some pic of how the rear sill plate is attached? Mine is just a plastic piece that screwes in. Yours must be polished stainless, looks much nicer. I may order one if it can be made to fit. I'm also interested to see some pictures of the fuel tank protection they put in the 2014 G that's why I'm asking. Yours looks like a new one.
Thanks. Mine is a 2014. I'll try to get the pictures you asked for and post them.

BTW, I see that your location is Boston. If you'd like, you could swing by sometime to take a look at the sill plate and fuel tank protection or we could meet somewhere. I work from home 4 days a week, so sometime during the day could work. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

Desertstar

You did a real nice job. Very well thought out. I like the tiedown L-tracks. Very versatile. I will borrow some of your ideas when I do my G320.

Thanks for posting !

Mike

greynolds

Observer
Here are a few pics:

Rear Door Sill Plate:

RearDoorSillPlate.jpg

Fuel Tank Protection:

FuelTankProtection3.jpg

Let me know if you need to see anything else and my offer to meet up would give you the opportunity to take a close look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk