Another Cummins Ram thread....

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, I dont have much done as of right now... but..

Truck started out as a 24v, automatic 4x4, Reg Cab, long bed... had a POS VP44(went through 2), and the block cracked...

So, around Xmas time, we put a P-pumped 12v with a NV4500 behind it... planning at the time to make this a Puller... but, things change, and its now my only vehicle... so...started slowly going another route... Bigger injectors, turbo, clutch, exhaust, blah blah blah....should be a nice easy 450hp(hopefully get it on the dyno in the next month or 2, but, not a priority)..... anyway...

I already have the axle, trans, and t-case vents up in the engine cpt, removed that POS vacuum operated CAD, and put a Posi-Lok in its place.

There is a cap waiting for me in Jersey( will be picking it up next week on my way to N.Carolina).

And I am heading to NC to get with a buddy who owes me a HUGE favor, and getting at least a front bumper made, and maybe a simple rear as well, or myabe some rocker protection... not sure yet...

Sitting on 285/16s right now, and when these wear out, it will go on 315s, biggest I want to deal with... have a set of leveling coils, and my Bilsteins sitting in the basement waiting to go on the front......

I have a plan for the bed....... 6.5 foot long, raised above the wheel wells, and to clear the spare. Will be hinged, each side will open from the middle...and go from there.

NOt really good about build threads...so, sorry.. I have a basic concept in mind, to keep is simple, and functional... and be able to be converted quickly... it is a work truck first..... fun second(at least until I can get a good deal on a van)...

I am a single father... of a 5 year old girl.. so, any and all forays will be solo for a long time......

Click for bigger pics....

Any thoughts suggestions, anything.... fire away.... I am open to different ideas, etc...

and YES, I know, it needs paint...but...

Chase

Dont discount your daughter! When mt exwife and I split up my 7 year old daughter and I drove to Moab in my then new 2000 Tacoma and camped, wheeled and even road our mt bikes (just a little). Good luck on the build! Use your free weekends to get er done!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have been off-raoding/camping with my daughter since she was about 18mos. She is now almost 6 and loves going camping and off-roading (she calles it going on bumpies).

chasespeed

Explorer
Thanks guys. I wish it was so simple(I know it should be). But, my little girl is the epitome of PRISS. She will be 6 in June, and right now, if it doenst revolve around her Ballet, Barbie, etc... she is NOT interested. I try too spend afternoons outside with her, teaching her baseball, how to ride w/o training wheels, etc... but, she woudl just assume jump on the back of my trailer, and start dancing....

She will be involved, just, not until she is ready. I will not force her to do that... then she will invariably hate it just because.

Once things move along a little, I will be posting progress. I am also going to post some other projects(trial and errors), for things for my fathers boat(not a truck, but the things will be relevant)....

Chase

KEENO

Adventurer
12v

Hey Chasespeed....

Thanks for the write up on the truck and your plans! Looks to be an awesome truck for overland use.

I was wondering how the 12V with P7100 Inj. Pump came to rest in a 2001? Now I know.... "The Rest of the Story" :sombrero:

Keep us posted!

KEENO:)

chasespeed

Explorer
Long story short...

It went through 2 VP44s in 103k... and, knowing the casting number, a pressure test was done BEFORE P-pumping the 24v.....

Also, took advantage of the swap, and put a 4500 in place of the slush box...

It was initially being done for sled pulling... then.. Well, plans had to change....

Its first and primary use is/will continue to be, DD/tool hauler(HVAC Business, hopefully I can make enough money to have a successful business )...

Anyway... Will be picking up my cap this thursday in Jersey, and heading straight to NC from there, to get things wrapped up outside....(I also NEED paint)....

Chase

BurninVeg

Chase,

Did you by any chance buy that truck in Brighton...I used to live next to a guy who had a truck exactly like that.

It sounds like you have a great plan going, good luck!

Nate

chasespeed

Explorer
3am, just getting in...

Brighton... dont even know where it is.... Sorry...

I will post pics of the weekends work and progress tomorrow... I am only going to get about 3 hours before I start my day....

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, I will put a couple up before I head out for the morning... there isnt TOO many of the work in progress, but, there are some if anyone is interested...

Same as above.. click to make larger....

The rear...simple yet effective....

AND, the reason I was willing to sacrifice some approach angle.... I figure with this in front, what I cant climb over, it will SURELY pull me over...

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay, well, no new pics... coated the rear bumper yesterday, and permanently, well, semi permanently mounted the plate on the door of the cap...

I have to figure out WHERE to mount my 1600W inverter(yeah, this puppy is HUGE)... where it will also have enough air flow... thinking high inside the cap. I also need to get cracking on waterproofing/dustproofing the cap/bed... any insight to make that go smoother is welcome...

Anyway.... still need to make some hoses for the winch.

Its a MileMarker 12k hydraulic, WITH mount from a HUMVEE(3/16), and we built the bumper off that all 1/4 and 3/16... I need to find a plug(male and female match, 3 conductor), that is weather proof, and will stand up to the elements, as the MILSPEC receptacle that I need to match the control to, is 55 bux...

Some other things left to do, like running power back to the cap, and cutting the hitch, moving it up, and mating it to the bumper(2x6x 3/8... so, plenty strong)...

As soon as I can get some time, I will be installing the D25 coils, and Bilstein 5100s I have been tripping over for 3 months.....

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
Made some minor progress today. Drilled and tapped for the center winch cover plate, and drilled for my lights(got sick of tripping over them), and drilled and tapped for the license plate....

And the rear...

I still need to cut the hitch, and move it up, and secure it to the bumper....

And, do some finish work to the front bumper, and coat it...

NOW, its time to work over the inside of the cap, and run wire for the inverter, and outlets, etc.....

Storage is going to be multi use, PRIMARY to secure hold certain extremely expensive tools... BUT, be able to be used for other things as well...

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, front bumper is done, guess I never posted that.

Finally got around to starting the inside of the cap.. I am no capenter, and I have determined that this cap IS tweaked...

Anyway, I am not too worried about it.. I will be installing foam insulation between the panels, and the outta layer...then, I will be carpeting it with a marine grade carpet.

Oh well.. thats the closest to an update for right now. As soon as I get a little extra cash< I will grab the rest of the plywood to finish the platform, and adding some strength to the toolbox area...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy