Another FWC in the wind thread... whats the Flap Factor on a FWC?

slowtwitch

Adventurer
How are these things in the wind as far as noise from the fabric? A blue tarp flapping in a gale is Flap Factor of 10. Sleeping in a fiberglass topper is Flap Factor of 0. Where does a FWC fit?

We camp in a high top topper now on a platform, and its bomber in inclement weather... absolute peace of mind and blissful sleep.

I am contemplating a FWC but having a hard time justifying price and then having nervous nights wondering if its going to stay together, stay dry etc. Of course it probably would stay together, but its the bit of doubt creeping in that's the thing. Others have posted about dropping the top in high wind and cramming into the bottom.... that's alot of coin to drop to be wondering about integrity in the small hours of the morning.

tacollie

Glamper
It'll stay together. We've been in 60mph winds. Our friends lowered theirs because they were worried. We stayed in bed. Zero issues. FWC are really sturdy.

Some people complain about noise. We sleep like the dead so it's not an issue to us.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I can't comment on an FWC but flap's not much of an issue at all in my Northstar popup in 30 mph Baja winds. I don't carry jacks so the camper will definitely roll around a bit but not enough to deter sleeping and I'm a light sleeper. I've been flapped to death down there in a cabin style tent. We used swap- meet style hd galvanized tarp canopies down there too. They simply hold up.

Flap isn't bad in a FWC. Certainly not on par with a hardshell, but very minimal compared to a tent, flippac, etc. No loose fabric hanging outside like many other popups. I have been in 80+ MPH gusts in my Grandby. That definitely wasn't ideal, and was quite noisy, but I wasn't concerned about the camper. More of a noise issue.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Northstar TS1000 in 50+ mph. Was concerned the first time but slept. I don’t think much about it anymore.

okiedavid

I've had mine in high winds. I wasn't concerned about it's ability to stay up, but thanks to the sound and movement so far twice I've dropped the top in the middle of the night and slept on the dinette, only to raise it back up once the storm passed so I could be in the more comfortable upper bunk.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Huh ok.. I've read that from a few different folks that they chose to drop the top in inclement weather. That won't work for us in and of itself, especially so with wait times, and pricing.

Thanks for the replies!

FAW3

Adventurer
Our FWC Hawk has been through a couple of very strong thunderstorms. I'd venture to say at least 35-40 mph winds. No tendency to collapse from wind load noted. No real "flapping" either of the vinyl canvas...an occasional puff would move it in/out but no "tent flapping". Of course thunder is loud, and heavy rain makes a hell of a racket on the metal roof. Light rain can be soothing. Noise is minimal from the fabric itself. I've been impressed during heavy rain...no leaks.

I did not expect it to weather storms like my old Wanderlodge ...but it beats any tent and is no quieter or worse than my truck cap camper rigs.

97heavyweight

I built my own and it can handle 50mph winds. So I have no doubt that a professional company can do better. Mine has a Flap Factor of 2.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Ive had my outfitter in horible weather for remote medical contracts and disaster relief, gusts, and blizards w/ wind 60. No concerns, Ive been in my brothers FWC and dont remember it having much. He usually drops the top in bad stuff.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
There are a couple of guys over on Wander the West who have driven at highway speeds with their FWC top up (how can you forget something like that?) with no damage.

My Grandby flaps about 2-3, but it sags a little; its over 40 years old. If I suspect high or gusty winds I will drop the top to minimize rocking.

I've seen a couple of big hard side camper tipped over by high winds in eastern Wyoming but never a pop-up.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I wasn't really worried about total failure.. never heard of an instance of that with an FWC. But having it in the back of your head at zero dark thirty when things are nasty out is no good. For us dropping the top if things get nasty is also a no go.

Re driving at hwy speeds, yes I've seen someone do that. Of course side loads is what would more of a concern.

For the money (nuts imo), the wait, the possibility of having to drop the roof in crap conditions, having fabric that needs attending to, etc, not worth the gamble.

If I could find an old one that I could gut and use for a while to try out I would. But the financial exposure 'to try it out' is no good.

If I'm going to invest the cash, and haul the sob, I don't want to second guess any of it, or experience any tent negatives (speaking about popups broadly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach