ANOTHER Guy With A Gen 2.5 Build - Sure, why Not? It's My First!

viducce

Observer
Great work! Plain craftsmanship.
What do you intend to do with the 2 frame struts sticking out?
I'm often thinking about how to improve my rear bumper.
Mine came with an ARB front bumper, they look tough but really aren't that sturdy.
Cheers, Chris

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
The two frame ends will get trimmed even with the bumper (or more) and I'll insert the same heavy-duty d-ring mounts that I did on the front.

Great work! Plain craftsmanship.
What do you intend to do with the 2 frame struts sticking out?
I'm often thinking about how to improve my rear bumper.
Mine came with an ARB front bumper, they look tough but really aren't that sturdy.
Cheers, Chris

Last edited:

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Started on the tons of grinding needed to finish. Nowhere near perfect enough for chroming, but it will be just fine with the roll-on bed liner.

cb_montero-119.jpg

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Very cool! What are you using to cut the metal so nicely? for me cutting metal with an angle grinder gets old in a hurry and the plasma cutter is...well always out of my price range :)

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
It's all been cut either with a grinder (by hand) or chop saw (For the square tubing).

Very cool! What are you using to cut the metal so nicely? for me cutting metal with an angle grinder gets old in a hurry and the plasma cutter is...well always out of my price range :)

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Getting closer. Trimmed the ends, made filler pieces for all of the holes, welded them in, smoothed everything out well enough for the bedliner coating to come. All that's left is to finish the mounts, prime it, seal the seams and paint.

cb_montero-120.jpg

cb_montero-121.jpg

cb_montero-122.pg

cb_montero-123.jpg

cb_montero-124.jpg

Last edited:

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Well, I think it's done. Fabrication-wise anyway.

Today was productive. I got all of the trimming and grinding done first, then decided to test fit it again to see where I was going to trim the frame and mounts.

cb_montero-126.jpg

cb_montero-127.jpg

cb_montero-128.jpg

cb_montero-129.jpg

I bobbed the frame ends on an angle, boxed the openings and added the D-ring mounts. I also decided to eliminate the inner two bumper mounts completely. You can see the grind marks beyond the D-ring mount.

cb_montero-131.jpg

Primed all the bare metal areas.

cb_montero-132.jpg

Trimmed off the excess on the mounts and gusseted them for strength. You can see I didn't clean up the back of the bumper much since it will be textured and unseen anyway.

cb_montero-130.jpg

cb_montero-133.jpg

Threw some paint on to seal everything for now. It will all get final painted later.

cb_montero-13.jpg

Primed and painted the whole bumper. The roll-on bedliner material will easily cover all of the imperfections so I didn't get too crazy on the grinding/finish work.

cb_montero-135.jpg

cb_montero-136.jpg

cb_montero-137.jpg

cb_montero-138.jpg

cb_montero-139.jpg

cb_montero-140.jpg

Next on the agenda is trimming the rear quarters and filling the opening that will be created at the bottom. Then it's time for the bed liner material!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater