Any 2012 JKU Reviews?

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I went to a dealer for the hell of it and tested a 2012 JKU 6 speed and I LOVED it. Makes me want to sell my XJ and get one now. I have driven a 2007 before and I noticed the difference in engine response, and the interior is nice since my right knee doesn't hit the center dash anymore.

just got mine 2 weeks ago and I love it, next step is to get some rubicon take off wheels and tires. The engine is very strong compared to to the 3.8's I have ridden in. I didn't get an auto tho.

gwayms

Observer
JKU reviews

I have had my 2012 JKU for about 2 weeks now, about 700 miles on it. I love it. It seems way more responsive than the older models I have driven. The only issue I have had with mine, is the other during a big rain storm got a few drips turning corners. Its a hardtop. But other than that I love it.

Flyn G

Observer
I drove an FJ and a 2012 JKU 5 spd auto Rubi yesterday. I was less than impressed. The FJ seemed much peppier off idle and in low speed situations. No 6 spds around to try out yet. That's what I really want anyway. If the FJ had real doors in back, Jeep might have totally lost a prospect.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Only 152 miles on my '12 JKU so far; I have been taking it really easy but I already can say that I LOVE the new 5 speed auto tranny. :wings: Shifts like a dream. Tranny alone was worth the '12, the engine is just the cherry on top.

Oh yeah, and the new interior (new compared to my '08, the interior was already introduced for the '11 model year) is really nice too. The materials feels a lot higher quality.

More to come :)

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
First fill-up. Actual calculated fuel mileage 18.8 mpg, (display claims 19.2 mpg, not too far off). That's up about .5mpg from the old 3.8 V6. However, the new engine is not run in yet, I expect the mileage to improve.

Toolman

Explorer
I don't own a JK however have been test driving them over the years and compared to my 4.0 straight 6 the 3.8 were sluggish. My TJ is weighed down with a 1000 lbs of crap and it still has more pep than the 3.8. Now today I went and test drove the 12' and I can say that the interior is far nicer than the older model JK's, the 3.6 spanks the 3.8 and I'm considering dumping the 06' CRV and the TJ to build a dreamy JK. Speed control boxes and stuff like that don't deter me. I'm in the process of finishing my 4X4 van conversion and I can say that jeeps are tinker toys compared to building a 1 ton van .. NO offense intended there I just mean that everything is simple. 100 different companies competing for your business, parts, gears, accessories etc. In the van world you don't have much to chose from. So I'm looking forward to building a rig with lots to chose from. BTW the colors available are off the chart.. check out the Dozer Yellow. 1 thing I don't like is not being able to control the front and rear lockers independently. Many time I have the rear locked without needing the front, the front gets locked and makes it hard to steer. I rarely use my front locker.

The big question for me is, should I spring for the Rubicon, or buy a sport and do the work myself. I imagine that down the road it will have some dynatrac 60's, ARB lockers 38's the rubicrawler atlas etc.
Also who makes the lift kit worth the bucks ?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I saved about $6k opting for the Mojave(Sahara lookalike) which can offset a front hi-pinion HD D-44, an Atlas and gears/lockers. To me, a better route and more specific to my needs/wants. The lift/tires/etc are needed either way. Just my 2c.

BradJ

1 thing I don't like is not being able to control the front and rear lockers independently. Many time I have the rear locked without needing the front, the front gets locked and makes it hard to steer. I rarely use my front locker.

The lockers on the Rubicon are independent, the rear only can be locked.

James Pierce

Adventurer
First Impressions

I'm blown away. We ordered Brandy a new 2012 unlimited rubicon w/ 4.10s a few months ago. It arrived Wednesday. The difference between her 2008 and the new 2012 is night and day. The engine has a lot more power but the real treat is the new 5spd automatic. The gear splits are improved dramatically. First gear is lower. The slap shifter works great in the mountains when downshifting to negotiate tight curves. It is a blast to drive. (we are currently in the Ozarks breaking it in)

The interior is a huge improvement. All the creature features that make it enjoyable on long trips such as heated leather seats, NAV, DVD, Ipod connectivity, Satellite Radio, 110 inverter, 12v plug in rear is great for the fridge, extending sun visors, hands free, bluetooth and the list goes on. It's the best of both worlds. Rugged off road with a semi luxurious interior.

First tank returned 19.3mpg mixed in town and hwy driving. Best tank in her 08 when it was stock was 16mpg. I am a little hesitant about the mods she wants me to make on this new one. Her 08 had 2.5" of lift, 35" KM2's and averaged 12-14mpg. She won't be happy but if we are getting 20mpg by the end of our trip I might leave it alone. It is very capable in stock form.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I'm blown away. We ordered Brandy a new 2012 unlimited rubicon w/ 4.10s a few months ago. It arrived Wednesday. The difference between her 2008 and the new 2012 is night and day. The engine has a lot more power but the real treat is the new 5spd automatic. The gear splits are improved dramatically. First gear is lower. The slap shifter works great in the mountains when downshifting to negotiate tight curves. It is a blast to drive. (we are currently in the Ozarks breaking it in)

The interior is a huge improvement. All the creature features that make it enjoyable on long trips such as heated leather seats, NAV, DVD, Ipod connectivity, Satellite Radio, 110 inverter, 12v plug in rear is great for the fridge, extending sun visors, hands free, bluetooth and the list goes on. It's the best of both worlds. Rugged off road with a semi luxurious interior.

First tank returned 19.3mpg mixed in town and hwy driving. Best tank in her 08 when it was stock was 16mpg. I am a little hesitant about the mods she wants me to make on this new one. Her 08 had 2.5" of lift, 35" KM2's and averaged 12-14mpg. She won't be happy but if we are getting 20mpg by the end of our trip I might leave it alone. It is very capable in stock form.
:iagree: 1,000 miles so far on my 2012 Rubi and I'm more and more in love. I thought the '08 was perfect, the '12 is even more perfecter :elkgrin: What an improvement over the '08, especially the auto tranny.

The only negative I noticed is that the day light readability of the instruments got worse; driving against the sun with sunglasses, I can't read the speedometer. Never had that problem on my '08.

In a couple weeks, I will put my lift, but I want to let the springs settle first. 1 3/4" in the rear, between 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" in the front, depending on what it takes to level the Rubi out. But I'm planning on running my stock tires until they are worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism