Any decent inclinometers?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've always liked the ones that came on the Monteros. Are there any decent aftermarket ones on the market or is looking on ebay for a used set out of a Montero the way to go?

4xdog

Explorer
Try iHandy Level (free) or Carpenter (paid, but more functions) on an iPhone. I use these apps all the times for things I didn't expect to use them for... very nice.

Don

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the app suggestions and I'll definitely look into the iPhone ones but I'd rather have something fixed on the dash. If I did find one from a Montero or a Toyota one I'm hoping it doesn't need any particular calibration does it? Which Toyota models did they come with?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
When things look like this, you went to far off camber!

TJroll1.jpg

zukrider

Explorer
the one in my 94 montero SR is not electric, other than for the light. it is atmospheric. and the calibration is a dial on the guage. also has the compass, and tilt. not sure what/where powers the compass, though i believe it is all integral.

DSCN1060.jpgDSCN1061.jpgDSCN1062.jpgDSCN1063.jpgDSCN1064.jpg

none of these are all that great, but its what i have on file. i have a second one i could possibly be talked out of. need to verify its working first though.

oh, the altimiter is on right, tilt in center, compass with inside and outside temp on left.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks for the app suggestions and I'll definitely look into the iPhone ones but I'd rather have something fixed on the dash. If I did find one from a Montero or a Toyota one I'm hoping it doesn't need any particular calibration does it? Which Toyota models did they come with?

ProClip has a mount to hold your iPhone on the dash for your Pathfinder. I have my Android device mounted in my Tacoma that way. No use having off-road apps if you can't access them...

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.a...e_holder=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=&leftorright=

But ultimately, if you're paying attention to the inclinometer and not the trail, it's already too late and you'll be on your side.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: An inclinometer ia a great "SITUATION GAGE"--they're not a savior or a life saver-

They're great for beginners and Bar stories (pictures)-

They can show a beginner that 30° is not the end of the world, more important is the solid security of cargo loads-

Most 4x4s can get close to 45° off-camber and by driving very slow and avoiding rocks on the high side and ruts on the down side--safe--UNLESS there's a cargo shift--BYEBYE-

I've hadem for decades and they're great for conversations and to impress passengers with facts, although I don't trust the elex kind !

I've always used these for general conditions-

SKYPEmobile009.jpg

SUNP0059.jpg

I wouldn't advise one for "off-camber Dependance", but they're kinda like a search engine on the internet--they won't solve your problems, but will get you in the right window !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
You might find an old one on a Montero in a salvage yard for cheap. I also recall seeing some for sale at 4Wheel Parts stores. Don't remember the price for certain but I think they were about $25 to $35 or something like that. Never bothered to get one as my much more accurate "pucker factor" inclinometer is much better at keeping the top parts on top and the bottom parts on the bottom! But I agree with the poster above that they would be handy for leveling for camping.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
For a buck, ninety-nine you could get this app if you have an iPhone.

inclinometer.jpg

It's by Steven Eppler and app is called Tiltometer - Off Road.

You can orient it simply by mounting the iPhone, starting the app and hitting the orientation cross-hairs button. Whatever the attitude of the iPhone the app will orient itself, vertically, horizontally, canted, whatever.

The app has two warning settings, one at 30 degrees where the background goes yellow, and one at 45 degrees where it goes red and an audible alarm sounds. Perhaps Steven can mod it to say, "Danger, Will Robinson!" or Hans Solo's voice, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Edit: The app has a compass and altimeter as well, and has a night vision setting.

The app allows a limited number of vehicle choices, though, sadly, no generation of Montero is available.

Box Rocket

Here's another iPhone app called Wheelin. It has similar feature to the one posted above, but you can use photos of your own truck which is kinda cool. Only drawback IMO is that it only works in Landscape mode.

a45a3877.jpg

eb911914.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater