any of you guys watching or bidding on this Montero?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
ahh..maybe its just over oiled up.

yes miles are nice, seats are nice, body pretty. Frame and engine do show signs of rust and corrosion. If you look closely at the frame rail and underneath it looks like they went at it with a black can of spray paint. Know this from a whole sale dealer who showed me that trick when he dumped cars at auctions.

no locker

JamesW

Adventurer
The radius arm bushing in the pic looks totally shot too,I wouldn't mind a bit of paint or underseal on the chassis,so long as you know it is there as a preventative measure rather than being put there to cover up some rust.

There is what looks like some rust bubbling through the paint in the pic with the front diff,but it could just be dirt that was painted over.

It is overall immaculate though,I wish mine looked like that on the inside! Whats the deal with the lower part of the dash,around where the fuel tank release and bonnet release levers are,I've never seen it bulge out like that before

mapper

Explorer
Looks like painted over frame rust if you ask me. The obvious stuff is black but if you look behind the obvious stuff in some of the pictures it looks orange. After cutting my teeth in vehicle mechanics working on cars in WI, I don't think I could buy an eastern vehicle without personally inspecting it. They aren't all bad, my girlfriend brought a mid 90s honda from NYC and it was still in great shape last year and my VW spent 6 years and 100k in the Great Lakes region but you'd never know it. Just the unknown that is tough. Western vehicles, though not perfect, have just been so much easier to work on.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
The farther northeast you go, the better chance you're going to get rust. Here in NJ it isn't too bad. We salt the roads a lot, but not as much as I've seen in the New England area. They just get a crap load more snow than most parts of NJ and NY.

It's probably just surface rust on the frame and not rotted through. I'd still inspect it in person and poke at it just to make sure though.

And to be honest a vehicle that old that's been in that area for it's whole life (I'm assuming it has), the rust isn't bad at all. Looks like the previous owners took it to get the undercarraige washed.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The radius arm bushing in the pic looks totally shot too,I wouldn't mind a bit of paint or underseal on the chassis,so long as you know it is there as a preventative measure rather than being put there to cover up some rust.

There is what looks like some rust bubbling through the paint in the pic with the front diff,but it could just be dirt that was painted over.

It is overall immaculate though,I wish mine looked like that on the inside! Whats the deal with the lower part of the dash,around where the fuel tank release and bonnet release levers are,I've never seen it bulge out like that before

Luckily my 98 is that clean on the inside.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The farther northeast you go, the better chance you're going to get rust. Here in NJ it isn't too bad. We salt the roads a lot, but not as much as I've seen in the New England area. They just get a crap load more snow than most parts of NJ and NY.

It's probably just surface rust on the frame and not rotted through. I'd still inspect it in person and poke at it just to make sure though.

And to be honest a vehicle that old that's been in that area for it's whole life (I'm assuming it has), the rust isn't bad at all. Looks like the previous owners took it to get the undercarraige washed.

I grew up in Maine and can attest to this, just one of the reasons I live out west now.

JamesW

Adventurer
I just updated my thread with some interior pics of my pajero so I don't clutter this one up.

If you think the chassis on that one is rusty you should see the stuff that comes out of the UK,You can stick your fingers straight through some of them!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I just updated my thread with some interior pics of my pajero so I don't clutter this one up.
The knee area of your dash is 'slimmer' than ours in the states. I suspect there's either additional electronics back there in ours or the US DOT required additional padding for the knees or something stupid like that.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
ive taken that thing off numerous of times, it is extremely heavy for being that small. I assume something to do with DOT requirements also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater