Any thoughts on a '98 Palomino Bronco?

Mcstiggens

I'm about to drive 300 miles to see a '98 Palomino Bronco.
Can anyone share there opinion or experience with a Palomino from this era?
Are these aluminum or wood frame construction etc.?

Please share,

Thanks,
Mcstiggs

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Wood frame...Wood everything. I have a 98 that was in great shape when I bought it a few months ago. But it still had some soft wood issues that I had to fix. It's been a great camper for the $1500 I paid for it.

1372340688144-vi.jpg

Lots more pictures here:

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/vehicles/palomino-bronco-tru/

Mcstiggens

WOW!! Thats an incredible price. The one I'm looking at doesn't even come with an awning and they are axing $3,600!

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I have seen some decent Scampers for sale for less than $2k. There's one on eBay now in the Sou Cal area

Good luck& happy campin'!

bat

Explorer
If you can find one that is in good shape and at a reasonable price go for it. It will last a very long time and for the cost it is an easy way to get your feet wet in the pop up type camping.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Palomino is typically considered a "low end" soft side camper brand. They had a tendency to use OSB for a lot of their wall core. Look closely at the seams and sealing if you're considering it. Another big consideration is canvas condition. Typically the "canvas" which isn't really canvas is usually most expensive item on one to replace. Inside, at least the few I've been in, were comfy enough and the appliances worked.

I don't keep a close tab on the market to know a value but I do see Palominos and others come up for sale enough that I'd tough negotiate and walk if I couldn't get some price concession as they come available on the used market fairly regular.

I will say I re-read the link to another post that Rotti posted above. IMO some of the advice given there about getting in and getting camping needs to be considered along with value, craftsmanship, engineering and so forth. We on Expo at large sometimes get too wrapped up in the "spec" or "rep" of something rather getting the best we can afford and find at the time and getting on with the adventure.

I wish you well in your search....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad