Any Tips, Tricks or Cautions for Vertically Mounting ROAM/Pelican/etc. Cases?

K9LTW

I have an Expedition One, dual-swingout bumper on the back of our Power Wagon. In an effort to relocate stuff like recovery gear out of the camper and free up space for other stuff, I'm thinking of mounting a large case (test fitting stuff in a buddy's ROAM 165L) to one of the swingouts vertically. I have a full-size 37" spare there, but I bought a used 35" tire to use as a spare as it's close enough in size and would just ensure it's on the front axle if needed. I can finesse that into the stock location under the bed.

Has anyone done this? In theory, running 4-6 pieces of 1/2" bolts with washers would hold it (assuming I can get the ribs to line up well...or use a backing plate). Realizing this is not how they're intended to be mounted, a concern I have is how well the case will survive vibration and such; specifically the risk of the holes the hardware runs through enlarging. Legit worry...or tilting at windmills?

Of course, as usual, I'm trying to come up with not-insignificant solutions just 4 weeks out from a 4-week trip while my bumper is at the shop getting powder coated. So I can't even truly mock it up in the meantime (not that I'd be drilling holes through a buddy's case).

llamalander

Closest I've come is mounting a cheap Rigid plastic toolbox on my roof for a few years.
I think using Sikaflex, washers both sides and remembering to tighten things down after 200/500/1000 miles should work. Protected caulking/sealant can last more than 5 years, but maybe not 10 on a vehicle.

jeffgsd

I just got my exp one dual swing arm bumper installed on my 5th gen ram. Looking to do the same w cargo boxes similar to the Aluminess setup. The sales guys at exp-one said using a large L-bracket to secure the box to the mounts and supporting weight underneath should do the trick. Looking for some more proof tho. Let me know what you come up with and Ill do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78