Anybody Ever Stuff a Cummins 12v 6BT Into A Fuso FG?

BC in CA

Hi All,

New to the forum. Been reading up on Fuso 4x4 FG builds and started looking around for a truck to build into my own Mini-Mog RV. Some AWESOME talent on this board! I'm very impressed!

There's a show on Spike TV called Extreme Off Road and Ian, the host, has just started building a clapped out NPR, which got me thinking about this whole concept. On the Spike build, they're planning to go with F-350 axles front and rear, a Cummins 12v 6BT and Allison 1000 tranny. They plan to build a Crawler Hauler to carry a rock crawler they built previously on the show, rather than an expeditionary vehicle.

Since I'm not exactly planning to climb Mount Everest with this thing, but would like more power, I don't think I want to do an axle-swap. Will hit plenty of sand and the occasional seasonal light mountain snow here in SoCal. No rock crawling in my future, but plenty of desert to kick back in. Undecided yet if I'll stick with duals or go with Super Singles. One truck I'm looking at is in need of an engine and trans swap (or rebuild).

Could the OEM axles on a 4x4 FG handle the added hp and tq from the Cummins/Allison combo mentioned above? Looks like the Cummins weighs just a tick shy of a thousand pounds. How does that compare to the OEM Mitsu engine and would it completely throw off the trucks ride and balance? What kind of mpg and performance would you guys guess possible with a Cummins in a Fuso?

When I started telling my cup holder (wife) what I was thinking about, the truth came out. Her vision of an RV is just a bit different than mine; to her an RV is a combination climate controlled five star rolling hotel suite and portable day spa with 24-hour 4 Michelin Star room service and a helluva wine list. (Many torrents surround her.) By appealing to her love of nature and ever broadening photography hobby, somehow I've been able to keep the door open. Prolly will be traveling solo until this rig is completed, tho.

I'm really intrigued by all this and thank you in advance for your responses.

Brad

alan

Explorer
Hi Brad,
I have been watching the same show, it's a great build, even a 4bt would be good enough, the power you can get out of them is crazy!

BC in CA

Hey J-N-M,

Thanks for redirecting me to the correct sub-forum for Fusos. It was really late/early when I posted so accept my apology. One question tho, when I registered, I saw the obligatory requirements to keep things civil and nice, no foul language and so forth, but I didn't see anything related to a proper spelling requirement. That's a first. ;-) Will there be further requirements moving forward?

BC

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hey J-N-M,

Thanks for redirecting me to the correct sub-forum for Fusos. It was really late/early when I posted so accept my apology. One question tho, when I registered, I saw the obligatory requirements to keep things civil and nice, no foul language and so forth, but I didn't see anything related to a proper spelling requirement. That's a first. ;-) Will there be further requirements moving forward?

BC

No, just get annoyed when adults fail to use the English language properly, but carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk