Anybody know what the Toyota team did to their 4Runner in Baja

oxi

Adventurer
Looking for ideas if anybody knows how they strengthened the 4Runner:

SCORE_aaa04321.jpg

01_baja_4runner1.jpg

I will ask some questions but just wondering if anybody already knows?

sasaholic

Adventurer
dont know anything about there build, but i do know they wrecked it already. doesnt seem to bad, but the body is pretty hagered

Applejack

Explorer
Other than a roll cage I don't think they we're allowed anything that would stiffen up the frame. They raced in the stock mini class IIRC.
Other than that it was some rather minor suspension mods and drivetrain cooling mods.

4RExpo

Here is info on the build:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzk6rbD1ok&feature=channel"]YouTube - 4Runner - From Rubicon to Baja: The Build[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8J_1wZ9QM0&feature=channel"]YouTube - 4Runner - From Rubicon to Baja: The Shakedown[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wbRveoKwk&feature=channel"]YouTube - Toyota 4Runner - From Rubicon to Baja: The Race[/ame]

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I can't comment on this particular 4runner, but I was at Donahoe Racing when we built the stock mini Tacoma Double Cab for the Baja 1000. Basically you rip everything out including the dash. Make sure the rollcage ties into the top of the shock mounts and frame all over and you end up with one very rigid, very heavy stock truck with a fuel cell.
:elkgrin:

oxi

Adventurer
I can't comment on this particular 4runner, but I was at Donahoe Racing when we built the stock mini Tacoma Double Cab for the Baja 1000. Basically you rip everything out including the dash. Make sure the rollcage ties into the top of the shock mounts and frame all over and you end up with one very rigid, very heavy stock truck with a fuel cell.
:elkgrin:

Same here but I am not familiar with the latest generation Tacoma and what mods they did. I was very familiar with the old 22R powered pickups since I raced mine back in the day. That was torsion bar sprung and tough little pickups back then.

ScannedImage-3.jpg

CLynn85

Explorer
Same here but I am not familiar with the latest generation Tacoma and what mods they did. I was very familiar with the old 22R powered pickups since I raced mine back in the day. That was torsion bar sprung and tough little pickups back then.

Inspirational

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
same here but i am not familiar with the latest generation tacoma and what mods they did. I was very familiar with the old 22r powered pickups since i raced mine back in the day. That was torsion bar sprung and tough little pickups back then.

scannedimage-3.jpg

awesome!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..

Very cool. Those earlier Toyota trucks are still some of the lightest and cheapest trucks to race in my opinion. I love them. They can be set up well and Dan Vance proved what a little 4 banger can do against all of the heavy V8 prerunners. :ylsmoke:

I have to say that Stock Mini's in general are pigs though. The class 11 stock VW bugs will walk away from them all day long, but they sure do look a lot cooler and pulling up to the starting line in that Stock Mini Tacoma with Stereo blasting was a pretty fun. (not to mention still having windows to roll up in the silt beds! haha!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3