Anybody runs 33x9.5 tires!

Brigitta

Observer
:sombrero: That all may be true, but after 10 years in the Sierras and BUTTE cty SAR--sometimes 12 ft of snow--

That was no place for skinny tires and after years of that-I'll stay with a substancial footprint for my jeep-

The same with soft sand, low airpressure low speed--BIG FEET-no dig !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I agree, when you have super deep snow you want floatation. But I feel the average "overlander" isn't going to be running in such deep snow. You and I both "overland" and rockcrawl so we're safer with the wider tire so we're prepared for whatever the trail brings.

Speaking of super deep snow JIMBO, do you use a "pullpal"? I was looking at getting one and polyperformance has everything 10% of this weekend.

WOW!
those skinny tires on the toyota and jeep look nice!
How do they perform in the highway? (specially 9.50 wide)are they OK for overlanding/long trips?

I got great performance and tighter turning radius with good hwy mileage.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Good morning Brigitta !

I agree, when you have super deep snow you want floatation. But I feel the average "overlander" isn't going to be running in such deep snow. You and I both "overland" and rockcrawl so we're safer with the wider tire so we're prepared for whatever the trail brings.

Speaking of super deep snow JIMBO, do you use a "pullpal"? I was looking at getting one and polyperformance has everything 10% of this weekend.

I got great performance and tighter turning radius with good hwy mileage.

No I haven't gotta Pullpal, cause we always have trees around in the Sierras and I learned many years ago how to run low airpressure and using an auto tranny-NOT GET STUCK, not that it can't happen-

And sand is another story of low airpressure/ low speed and auto for those brief moments-

Of course I'm not talking hill climbing, thats a whole different story-but

I've got tow/snatch/chains/mobile winc/shovel, so if there's a tree/big rock/sign post/BigFoot around-it's OK !!

Here's a pic of the massive Blizzard we got a month ago and I had to use all my skills-:)snorkel:)

snow12-2010079.jpg

Good day

Brigitta

Observer
Yeah, when we're 4wheeling in the Sierra's there's usually something to winch off of, but when we're just exploring the desert it's a different story.

I need something that can pull you out of a snow drift in the middle of a patch of sagebrush. Like if your driving from Reno to Bodie off road in the spring you can come around a corner and have a huge snowdrift with not a pinyon pine in sight.

Even Dog Valley and Peavine can give you trouble if you hit a good sized snowdrift.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Scanned in a couple 33x9.50 pics

img014.jpg

img012.jpg
That looks GREAT!!!! Now I wish I'd have gone with 9.50's over my 10.50's on my 1st Gen.

There's a reason that the Forest service uses skinny's... If there's a botom to what you're driving the skinny's will out perform wide tires every time. YES, float has it's advantages, but in 99% of OR sitiations the Skinny's work better in mt exp. For Refrence JIMBO I'm also an SAR guy here in Oregon (obviouslyt VERY similar terrain to you in the Sierra's eh) and alot of times my Sknny Tired 4Runner is the only rig that makes int in ans out for places. Some of that is the ideal WB and overal small size of my Toyota versus some of the full-sizes and SWB Jeeps alot of guy's run, but the tires area definate factor as well. We don't see the feet deep type of snow you do but there's ALOT of mud here near yhear round and for that my Skinny's have really shined.

I don't doubt your statements for your use, I've certainly seen what flotation can do in REAL deep snow eh. Sand isn't an issue either as an aried down AT even skinny witll outperform wide MT's every time. I think overall the average person just doesn't run in as much snow as you see and in regualr shallower snow the skinny's do better as well as on the road where, lets be honest, most trucks spend most of their time eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, well 4rescue, you're probably right and I've been out of Butte county for over 30 years and I'll never put skinny tires on my big fat jeeps, mileage means nothing to me and too many times I've needed the FAT MT tires !!

I don't go in mud and big rocks/snow/sand just kinda like the fat tires-

ColoCherokees

Observer
I had both 33x9.50 and 33x10.50 BFG ATs on my '96 XJ (4.5" short-arm lift). No significant difference in fuel economy. Performace on Colorado trails was somewhat better with the 10.50s - a little bit more grip, a little bit less "tippy." Most noticeable was on-road - the 10.50s felt MUCH more stable/planted than the 9.50s.

I do prefer the "tall/skinny" approach to tires, and felt that the 10.50s were much better suited to dual duty (on/off road) driving than the 9.50s. For a mostly trail-only vehicle, the difference is pretty minimal in my experience.

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
I had both 33x9.50 and 33x10.50 BFG ATs on my '96 XJ (4.5" short-arm lift). No significant difference in fuel economy. Performace on Colorado trails was somewhat better with the 10.50s - a little bit more grip, a little bit less "tippy." Most noticeable was on-road - the 10.50s felt MUCH more stable/planted than the 9.50s.

I do prefer the "tall/skinny" approach to tires, and felt that the 10.50s were much better suited to dual duty (on/off road) driving than the 9.50s. For a mostly trail-only vehicle, the difference is pretty minimal in my experience.

Agree!

Brazos609

Observer
I had 33x9.50 BFGs on my first TJ for years and I like them other than the the 4cyl still being a little weak even with 4.56 gears.

cdnabn49

Observer
I am running BFG MT (originals) in a 255/85R16 which is a tall skinny... I actually prefer them to the old wide tires - my wheeling is fire/gravel roads and well used trails no hard core wheeling as of yet still learning...

2583n16_20.jpg

16636b7_20.jpg

JPK

Explorer
I'm running 255/85-17, which basically are 33x10 and love them.

That's what I have on my LJ and they work great in sand, good in mud too.

Mine are the old style BFG Mud Terrains and with even my LJ loaded up for the day, and with my two big dogd, I don't need to air down to hit the beach, something I do often (five times a week or so) in the summer to go surf fishing.

JPK

sourdough

Adventurer
Super Swamper makes tall skinnies, 34"x 9.50 or was it 10.50. anyway they are very good off-road tires. bias or radial ..... I run 32x9.50 on my flatfender
r.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design