Anyone doing an XJ highline Low COG build?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Rusty's flares...

bushwacker flares

Iceland offroad flares

Around $300-400 for flare kit
Around $300-600 for tires
Around $400-800 for gears and lockers
pocket change for extended bumpstops

33's w/ Iceland flares?

no changes to suspension geometry
No lift,
bigger wheel openings
re-gear for your tire size
low and stable for long trips on the highway
high clearance for overlanding on rough roads

It'd give an XJ a very "hummer-esque" look I'd think. Not sure If I'd like that...haha!

haven't seen it talked about specifically over at NAXJA. :coffee:

Can you tell today was a slow, boring day at work..hahah!!

Cheers!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Do it!

At worst you may need to add a bit of bump stop or spacers or longer shackles for a little bit of clearance.

If I was starting fresh I would seriously do this as a starting point and tune from there.

Only thing you didn't factor: wheels to get them pushed out under the flares.

I'd do the Iceland flares myself.

I'd still do a SYE eventually for the added strength.

efuentes

Explorer
I went like that for a couple of years, 33x10.5 on 2" lift.

I just got happy with a saw and fab some stock looking fenders out of fiberglass.

DSC04475.jpg

My new CJ its gonna run 35s on 1" lift :victory: Low COG its the only way to go.

CJ8-2.jpg

Saludos

Waytec

Adventurer
I am going with the same thing. I made my flares out of tubing and have field tested them this winter, I did a full pivots on the rear flares.
33s with RE 3.5 lift
013.jpg

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I don't have an XJ but a fullsize Bronco....I'm planning to build flares just like above. Stock height and 35x12.5x18's. I got a great deal on the tires and wheels, and I wanted a 17 or 18 to stay close to the stock sidewall height.

I actually have a bunch of things planned around a stock height truck with good performance.
Trimmed fenders, extended radius arms, relocated lower rear shock mounts (and probably uppers too), Clock the T-case up, High clearance exhaust exiting through the body in the rear quarter, re-located bump stops (to allow more up-travel) Longer front shocks (custom mounts)
Mild boat siding-should gain a solid 3" of clearance at rockers.

Then should I ever decide to lift, I'll just be that much ahead of the game. But that won't happen until/if I decide to swap in a diesel.
I'm staying at stock to maintain good onroad manners, low C/G, stock steering etc.

With big tires, and some other "repositioning" you can gain as much clearance as a lifted truck on smaller tires and no re-positioning.
For instance in my case stock height with 35's and with the above mods will allow more clearance than lifted 4" with 33's and no mods. Many will lift 4" and add 33's

efuentes

Explorer
Just make sure you put some sort of sliders on the transfer/trans bridge and a rear locker and it will go over anything, much better than a lifted truck.

troy

Adventurer
I'm contemplating getting the IcelandOffroad flares to take care of a few rust issues that are creeping up. I figure the $500 it costs will net me a year or two of keeping the Jeep presentable.

I figure my current OME lift with the Flares will allow me to run 32" or maybe 33" metric equivalent, while keeping it fairly low and stable.

BigDaddy - you mentioned gearing would only run $800. Is that all it costs? I was under the impression it was much more expensive.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Sorry to keep chiming in since I don't even have an XJ. It's just that this type of build interests me.

I'm doing this for a bunch of reasons, one of which is to trim away some rust on the rear quarters, (it's a Bronco of course the rear quarters are rusted:)) and replace with flares.

I really like the steel tube/flat fender flares like the Jeep guys are using.

I'm looking at gearing this way....Every person we all pay to set up gears, had a time when they set up gears for the first time. My first time is gonna be on this truck. No more paying for it.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
The Iceland flares look pretty nice, even if you aren't planning on doing the highline build. Rusty's flares just look a little chinsy to me with the rivets, and bushwackers make me think "Hey everybody look at me I've got big fender flares!" The Iceland ones though keep the nice stock-ish appearance and offer good protection.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm contemplating getting the IcelandOffroad flares to take care of a few rust issues that are creeping up. I figure the $500 it costs will net me a year or two of keeping the Jeep presentable.

I figure my current OME lift with the Flares will allow me to run 32" or maybe 33" metric equivalent, while keeping it fairly low and stable.

BigDaddy - you mentioned gearing would only run $800. Is that all it costs? I was under the impression it was much more expensive.

Probably a bit on the low side, yeah. That's assuming you have a friend that'll do gears for a case of beer or a steak dinner. :)

Nikson

Explorer
I know this is not an XJ, but on the similar subject.

when I took a picture of it, i also looked over the suspension... seems like there is only 1-2" between axles & bumpstops.

This definitely says "LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY"... and with such size of a tire, I would imagine this thing (w/lockers) can get through most of the objectives on the trail... :)

Have considered doing the same for the XJ...

SEMA%2040D%20065.jpg

My next vehicle will be built around this philosophy as well. It will either be another XJ, a WJ, a TJu or a JKu (if it gets the 280hp v6).

I'm begining to think that my Jeep is too tall & too heavy. Both my own fault, but when I was building it, everyone around me was on 6"+ so I figured 4.5" was being conservative.

here's my plan: I think I can adopt a variation of it to any one of the above vehicles, but I linked to XJ examples because that's what I have now.

2" BB or Maybe a basic 3.5" kit, "trimmed down" to a be a 2" lift (yeah seriously)
JB Conversions SYE (yeah, I know it's typically no necessary for 2")
JKS MFG lower control arms (not overkill, try dragging stock XJ LCA's over some rocks)
TNT Customs belly skid
TnT Customs Frame Stiffeners
TnT Customs Sliders
Detours USA Backbone
Detours USA Tailbone
Iceland Offroad Flares

Metric Equivalent 33x9.5x16 Wrangler Duratrac's (do they make that size?)

And of course gears for 33's and either dual selectable lockers or dual limited slips.

Did I miss anything :coffee:

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'd recommend 33x10.5. I had x9.5s once and hated them.

The derigeur ExPo setup seems to be 255/85-17.

I say don't even think about adding aftermarket springs until all the other parts are in place and you've had a chance to beat on it a bit to see what is really needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3