Anyone have a source for a new wedge shaped water tank like whats in older FWCs?

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Im in the process of going through all the systems in my new to me Blazer. Currently at the water system. Ive been to the RV supply stores all over Arizona and none have a tank of this shape. The info on the tank is El Monte Plastics, which makes me think its related to El Monte RV but I cant seem to find exactly what I need. The bottom of the tank where the drain cock threads in is all dry rotted and cracked. The drain cock broke out and the tank is failing. Id rather not be forced to reroute all my propane lines just to fit a new different shape tank but Im starting to think I might have to.

Tank
49888561543_049b1c9f2a_b.jpg

If you look closely you can see cracks forming on the tank itself.
49890809456_00897d8672_b.jpg

And of course because I wouldnt roll up in here without posting a picture of the truck...
49767521126_6aa20d748e_b.jpg

Reactions: plh

BajaSurfRig

@Atl-atl I would re-do propane lines with flex ones and find a new style tank that fits in the same location.

Unfortunately I just got rid of the tank you are looking for when I re-did my 83 Grandby about six months ago...

That is a rad Blazer/ FWC set up by the way. I went and looked at one a couple of years ago and regret not pulling the trigger.

Alloy

There are lots of wedge shaped tanks made for boats but when the plastic is spin welded it gets brittle the rest of the tank is OK.

If you take the tank to a plastic shop they can look at it and possibly spin weld a larger fitting into the tank.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Look at

john61ct

Adventurer
Ronco Plastics

top notch thick-walled tanks, more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

1000arms

Ronco Plastics

top notch thick-walled tanks, more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.
Check the ones that read "see diagram" rather than list the dimensions. One link is for Ronco marine tanks and the other is for Ronco RV tanks.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill check them out. I will probably wind up rerouting my propane lines so I can change the size/shape of the water tank.

1000arms

@Atl-atl I would re-do propane lines with flex ones and find a new style tank that fits in the same location. ...
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill check them out. I will probably wind up rerouting my propane lines so I can change the size/shape of the water tank.
Ronco Plastics ...
Redoing the propane lines so that you can easily pick a rectangular tank makes a lot of sense.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Redoing the propane lines so that you can easily pick a rectangular tank makes a lot of sense.

Well I wound up gutting everything under the counter this evening and sat there with a tape measure and my laptop for an hour trying to figure out the best size/shape to use. I dont know if Id call it "easy" to pick a regular tank but it will make it a little "easier" to make something work. I will most likely buy a blank tank and install the fittings myself. I might go the route of sending in a pdf with the location/dimensions of inlet/outlet/overflow fittings because that seems to be a pretty common route that various places online offer.

Side note, do I really need an overflow line? Why cant any overflow just work its way back out the fill line?

As for fitting new propane lines, thanks for the suggestion @BajaSurfRig that is going to be easier than expected. Im going to hit a local RV place tomorrow to grab some new stuff.

49893171002_06a36aeb90_b.jpg

1000arms

... I will most likely buy a blank tank and install the fittings myself. I might go the route of sending in a pdf with the location/dimensions of inlet/outlet/overflow fittings because that seems to be a pretty common route that various places online offer. ...
It is probably easier to get a ready-to-connect tank, rather than a blank-tank, which may not matter to you for your installation, but, if you ever need to replace your replacement, that might then matter to you.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
It is probably easier to get a ready-to-connect tank, rather than a blank-tank, which may not matter to you for your installation, but, if you ever need to replace your replacement, that might then matter to you.

How difficult is it to install the fittings? I dont think Im going to be able to find a ready to connect tank thats the right size with the right fitting locations. Or are you saying to tell them the fitting locations and have them install them before they send me the tank?

1000arms

How difficult is it to install the fittings? I don't think I'm going to be able to find a ready to connect tank that's the right size with the right fitting locations. Or are you saying to tell them the fitting locations and have them install them before they send me the tank?
People do install fittings. Some tank companies also sell relocation kits for that purpose. Some companies also sell tanks that are blank. Some tank companies will put the ports where you want them.

It will likely be easiest for you if you can order a standard tank that has holes where you can use them. This would also likely be the easiest solution if you ever need to replace the replacement tank.

If you can't find a standard tank that will work for you, then you could:
1) Order a blank-tank and create the ports where you need them.
2) Order a tank with ports and buy a relocation kit to seal the stock ports and install new ones where you need them.
3) Order a custom tank with factory installed ports per your instructions.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
People do install fittings. Some tank companies also sell relocation kits for that purpose. Some companies also sell tanks that are blank. Some tank companies will put the ports where you want them.

It will likely be easiest for you if you can order a standard tank that has holes where you can use them. This would also likely be the easiest solution if you ever need to replace the replacement tank.

If you can't find a standard tank that will work for you, then you could:
1) Order a blank-tank and create the ports where you need them.
2) Order a tank with ports and buy a relocation kit to seal the stock ports and install new ones where you need them.
3) Order a custom tank with factory installed ports per your instructions.

I calculated the volume of the stock tank and its only 5.8 gallons. The new tank I sized is 12 so thats good. I think Im going to wind up doing a "standard" tank and have the factory install custom ports. The tank I want is only $99 blank so even if its another $100 just for the ports Im not that mad about it.

1000arms

I calculated the volume of the stock tank and its only 5.8 gallons. The new tank I sized is 12 so thats good. I think Im going to wind up doing a "standard" tank and have the factory install custom ports. The tank I want is only $99 blank so even if its another $100 just for the ports Im not that mad about it.
What is getting in the way of using a tank with factory inlet/outlet/overflow? It appears, from your photos, that there is quite a bit of flexibility.

john61ct

Adventurer
I would not mess with tank fittings unless really no choice.

Again Ronco is really a class act, I guarantee their tanks are *very robust* will last for many decades without any worries.

They place your openings, inspection ports etc where you specify, part of the normal ordering process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater